Let's talk sugar grams or who else goes over everyday?

Options

Replies

• Lesliecs
    Lesliecs Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I always go over my sugar too... I eat a lot of fruit and the sugar in fruit alone will put you over. Basically I don't worry about sugar that much although I try to stay away from processed sugar as much as possible. As long as I stay within my calorie range, I am still losing lbs. with or without going over in sugar.
  • bjfmade
    bjfmade Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Go over everyday. Most is from natural sources so I don't worry about it. Doesn't seem to hinder my weight loss.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Usually about 30 grams/day on a usual day.

Now on a day when I eat a Clif bar or any "fast energy" sources for long runs and recovery, it's probably about 60 grams/day.

I use stevia and splenda. I ain't scared of the sweeteners.
  • dida0721
    dida0721 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I go over daily too, because I have fruit with every meal. Don't care. Only looking at calories in, calories out.
  • dipsl19
    dipsl19 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    im ALREADY over. omg. i eat too much fruit and drink too much coffee with sweetener.... =/
  • HBinOC
    HBinOC Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I too worry about it. It seems you have 1 yogurt and a fruit and you hit your mark the day. I don't really eat a lot of other sweets but tend to go over 20 grams a day. I feel better knowing it is natural sources other than candy or junk... so I guess it is ok. I am glad to see others having the same issues.
  • iKristine
    iKristine Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I am ALWAYS over.

But., I NEVER eat sweets, get sugared drinks, eat pastries etc. It's all apart of eating fruits, natural foods or the occasional processed foods that are always the lesser of evils options. I eliminated all sugar from my coffee, to where the only sugar is in the creamer. 1 - 2 TBSP a day.

So I figure that I eat less sweets than most everyday american.

I don't worry about it as a result.
  • Nicoleo1
    Nicoleo1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Sugar is really hard to keep within the set limits. I don't eat much in the way of processed food and I don't add any actual sugar to ANYTHING. I really limit my fruit and I in general don't eat anything "white", and still I go over every day.
    I agree that fake sweeteners taste awful and the future health risks possibly assiciated with them keep me from using any of them liberally. Some good choices that are (so far) safe are: Stevia, Truvia, Agave and Coconut Palm -if you need to have sweetener.
    That said, I've learned that most food actually tastes good if you reprogram your taste buds to actually taste what (for instance) milk, tastes like. It's actually really sweet!
    From what I understand though if you do eat too much sugar, whether it's from fruit, or full sugar pop, or processed grains, your body will first use the lean protein that you put in as energy and if it needs more will use sugar. Any left over sugars in your body will turn to fat. For most people here who are exercising and watching what they eat aren't going to have a problem, but if you are pre-disposed to diabetes, well that's another story.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    I generally don't worry about it when it's natural sugar like in fruit and such. It's the artificial stuff in candy, cakes, and whatnot that I try to keep to a minimum. Not saying it's always zero, but I just try to stay away as much as I can.
  • Slugsasarus
    Slugsasarus Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I wish the separated natural sugar and refined sugar. I stopped eating fruit because a banana would take me over, and then I was like, this is crazy! So now I just don't track sugar!
  • felicityapmccallum
    Options
    Yeh my calories are always under and I always try and keep my total fat and carbohydrate under too but my sugars and monosaturated fat etc are always over and I dont really understand why which is kind of annoying ... but I guess if the totals are under it should be fine.
    But like you say yoghurt and fruit always push up the amount of sugar.
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    it's probably the dairy in your diet. I quit watching my sugar because I was going over, but most of it was coming from dairy (lactose) which is good sugar. But when I want to sweeten something up, I use artificial sugar. Good luck with your journey!
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    unless you are going crazy with little debbie i wouldnt worry about it.
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    If you eat One piece of fruit, it puts you over... Ugh. I think I may delete mine too, cuz I'm NOT giving up fruit! No way.
  • carrieo888
    carrieo888 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Keep using real sugar (as opposed to substitutes), as your body knows how to digest it and recognizes that you've had it. HOWEVER, start cutting back on it a little at a time. I recommend raw sugar over processed white sugar - it's more expensive but hasn't been through all the chemical processes. I think it tastes better, and therefore I use quite a bit less of it. Also, don't lie or omit it from your diary. The data you are entering here is to help you make changes to your eating habits. The reports are factual data and not a judgement. If you can't be truthful to yourself, then to whom can you be?
  • davecreed
    davecreed Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I will admit I am not focused on my sugar intake as much as I am on fat and calories however I am over by a lot everyday. I am watching it though.

My morning coffee with sugar about kills my grams for the day.

Does anyone else here ignore their sugar grams too?

I will not go artificial with my sugar, it is either the real deal or nothing for me.

look at your sugars...where are the majority of them coming from? fruits and dairy? if so...don't count those...I still have no clue why they count fructose and lactose as sugar...because THEY DO NOT BEHAVE LIKE SUGAR! almost every fruit in Low on the glycemic index (banana are moderate, watermelons and mangos are high) and all dairy is low on the GI....apples, strawberryies, blueberries, raspberries, milk, cheese, yogurt...even sweetened yogurt BTW ALL LOW GI foods...so forget those sugars...your golden if that's where your are coming from mainly

check the GI website under search and FAQ for sources...they explain that dairy and fruit thing there...
  • davecreed
    Options
    actually i just read this about watermelons on there lol

Temperate climate fruits - apples, pears, citrus (oranges, grapefruit) and stone fruits (peaches, plums, apricots) - all have low GI values. Tropical fruits - pineapple, paw paw, papaya, rockmelon and watermelon tend to have higher GI values, but their glycemic load (GL) is low because they are low in carbohydrate.
  • davecreed
    Options
    I love science...its not an opinion...you cant argue it...its just straight facts...yay for science lol
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I will admit I am not focused on my sugar intake as much as I am on fat and calories however I am over by a lot everyday. I am watching it though.

My morning coffee with sugar about kills my grams for the day.

Does anyone else here ignore their sugar grams too?

I will not go artificial with my sugar, it is either the real deal or nothing for me.

look at your sugars...where are the majority of them coming from? fruits and dairy? if so...don't count those...I still have no clue why they count fructose and lactose as sugar...because THEY DO NOT BEHAVE LIKE SUGAR! almost every fruit in Low on the glycemic index (banana are moderate, watermelons and mangos are high) and all dairy is low on the GI....apples, strawberryies, blueberries, raspberries, milk, cheese, yogurt...even sweetened yogurt BTW ALL LOW GI foods...so forget those sugars...your golden if that's where your are coming from mainly

check the GI website under search and FAQ for sources...they explain that dairy and fruit thing there...

Good to know. I am slowly cutting back on the coffee sugar but it is not going down without a fight, LOL.

I have cut my soda to once a day and now I am having days without any soda. YEA!

I have to say that quitting smoking was easier than giving up my coffee sugar.
  • his_kid1
    his_kid1 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I go over every day. And not just by a few grams. I usually at least double it...

But as almost of my sugar intake is from natural sources, I frankly don't care.

This...

Yup.If it starts affecting my loss I will think about it, but until then, I am NOT worrying about out a couple pieces of fruit etc a day. I have dramatically reduced my artificial sweeteners, however.