running with or without music?..

Options
do you prefer running with or without music in your ears?

i prefer running with music blasting away in my ears. but because i go jogging at night times with a friend (as were both training for 5k race 4 life) we cant exactly listen to music, because when we power walk we both gossip, and when we both jog we have ot stick together and watch out for traffic and people behind us etc.

but when im at the gym, which is normally full of other people - i go on the treadmill for a good 20 mins, and i do jogging on that and i prefer to have my music on just so i dont have to hear other people talk and all that! as im there to workout, not to listen to other people convo's! :laugh:

i go jogging most nights with my friend, i have like 2 rest nights a week, and to be honest i actually dont think its safe to run in the dark with headphones blastin!:laugh: you just dont know whats behind you!!!

what helps you to run? music or no music?:smile:

Replies

• therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    When I'm by myself, I actually prefer to listen to podcasts or audiobooks.
  • StarIsMoving
    Options
    Music! I do it outside, but on sidewalks... I used to keep only one earbud in so I could hear, but it would get tangled and such - so now...earbuds are in! I figure if someone is on a bike, they need to be in bike lane or go around me...if it's another jogger/runner (cause I go at a snail's pace), they can also go around. I am not trying to be mean, but I can't stay upbeat without loving me some music! :) :P
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I think I'm the only person who runs without music. When I started running I would listen to music, but got so fed up messing with the cords and ear buds that i just quit messing with them.

Another reason is safety. Having done both I now know how much of your situational awarness is depleted when you are listening to music. At least outside. If I were on a treadmill or exercise bike I can see where it would be beneficial. But it still goes back to having another peice of equipment to mess with/keep track of.
  • karismalynn
    Options
    Music helps me SO much when I exercise, but only if it's the right genre! Haha. I have the problem of having too much of a variety that one second I'll be full on jamming out, exercising my heart out to a really fast upbeat song and then the next song is incredibly slow, like a love song. But I'd still rather have the music, it keeps me occupied and not thinking about what I'm doing or how badly I want to stop. In fact listening to music makes me want to keep going just because I simply don't want to stop listening it. :) Good luck!
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I think I'm the only person who runs without music. When I started running I would listen to music, but got so fed up messing with the cords and ear buds that i just quit messing with them.

Another reason is safety. Having done both I now know how much of your situational awarness is depleted when you are listening to music. At least outside. If I were on a treadmill or exercise bike I can see where it would be beneficial. But it still goes back to having another peice of equipment to mess with/keep track of.

Nope I am right there with you. I used to have to run with it all the time but now I can handle running without. I feel like I am more focused on the run. I still love running with music sometimes but at night I NEVER run with music (for safety reasons)
  • Strobins05
    Options
    I like to run and listen to nature and myself. Yes, I constantly talk and push myself when I'm running. As for my running pals, they IPOD it up!
  • LisaWeir74
    LisaWeir74 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I run on the street with traffic so I don't listen to music but I do my best goal setting & planning when I am running!!
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    Music! I do it outside, but on sidewalks... I used to keep only one earbud in so I could hear, but it would get tangled and such - so now...earbuds are in! I figure if someone is on a bike, they need to be in bike lane or go around me...if it's another jogger/runner (cause I go at a snail's pace), they can also go around. I am not trying to be mean, but I can't stay upbeat without loving me some music! :) :P

lol, its really scarey to have earphones in whilst jogging in the dark!! i used to do it last year, but this year i have been out jogging without music and i feel much safer! last year i had my music in quite loud, and my brain sorta switched off whilst i was running in the dark, and i ran into a parked car and set the alarms off :blushing: half of it was cos i was on a reallly dark back road with no street lights soo i couldnt seee. and the other half was cos the music made me switch off my brain and not thinking of anything around me :laugh:

soo i tend to go running without headphones now :)
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    It depends on my workout - if it's a long run, I'll listen to audiobooks.
    If it's a short, tempo run, I listen to music. I like the beat of the music to help keep my pace up.
  • inotnew
    inotnew Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    When I am outside - no music. When on treadmill must have something to keep me going.
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I can do nothing without music. I would drop to the ground in a blobous mass.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I listen to music when I am running on the treadmill at the gym. I don't run outside, but I do walk my dogs and I don't listen to music when I do that. I want to hear what's going on around me for safety's sake.
  • kilbey1
    kilbey1 Posts: 12
    Options
    I'm seeing a lot of general complaints about "too many wires" when listening to music, which has been MY biggest complaint when exercising. I love music in general, and can't see myself exercising without it! Having said that, I've been trying a lot of different headsets that have 2 requirements:

a. won't fall out of my ears, and
    b. don't have a cord (wireless).

For not falling out of my ears, I've tried Yurbuds and they work wonderfully! Depending on the line you get, they come with different sized earbuds. I got mine at a running store, and they measure the inside of your ear, and depending on the size, you choose the closest number to your ear size on the package. Unfortunately, these do have a cord -- I was able to remedy this by picking up a cord wrap with clip at REI, and it's worked very well so far. (The clip ran me about $4) I simply wrap the cord, and then clip the wrap onto my shirt or jacket. Look for "Nite Ize Curvyman Cord Supervisor" in your search.

I'm now looking at some wireless headsets that are designed for exercise, with a series of different sized earplugs included to fit different sizes of ears. Before you toss in the towel, you might consider looking for a pair with those requirements. They do tend to be pricey (from $70 to almost $200).
  • Victoriav99
    Victoriav99 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Definitely have to have my pandora on.... I don't know how i did it before, but I refuse to workout without my music. :)
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    Listening to music. I am focused and in my zone when I am running.
  • andreacord
    Options
    With ! I can only make it 30 minutes tops exercising without music. I have great in ear noise cancelling headphones, probably not that good for my hearing but they make my music nice and loud. I used to jog at night with the music blaring until I had a scary experience in the city. Here its muggers, in my small hometown its bears. :grumble: Can't win .. I prefer to jog outside as well.
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    MUST have music to run... Or jog... Or walk... :)
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    When I started running I needed music to keep me going. It took my mind off the pain, and I ran faster in time with the beat. Now I really don't like having music. I like seeing the world in a way it is harder too with an unnatural sound in your ears. Also I run along some busy roads and need to hear the cars coming, but mostly I just like the quiet. I think when I run, and sort things through in my head, I can't do that with Lady Gaga blaring away at me!
  • Allyson1985
    Options
    Any workout I do, I do it with music. Why? I think its because of the beat, it gives me a fairly consistent rhythm to follow. Either way, its much more enjoyable with music. :)
  • spurradic
    spurradic Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    When I'm by myself, I actually prefer to listen to podcasts or audiobooks.

i totally listen to audiobooks too! they've gotten me through many a training runs and races gloriously!