running with or without music?..

Options

Replies

• jenniebean1680
    jenniebean1680 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    When I started running I needed music to keep me going. It took my mind off the pain, and I ran faster in time with the beat. Now I really don't like having music. I like seeing the world in a way it is harder too with an unnatural sound in your ears. Also I run along some busy roads and need to hear the cars coming, but mostly I just like the quiet. I think when I run, and sort things through in my head, I can't do that with Lady Gaga blaring away at me!

/truth. absolutely!
  • Legally_Natural
    Legally_Natural Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    If I don't have music then running (or my running is the elliptical machine) is not happening. I use the music to help with my pace and my breathing.
  • karismalynn
    Options
    I've found that with music I can still keep my mind on other things, such as why I'm doing this. My mind wanders a lot but if I didn't have music the silences in my head would annoy me. I even listen to music when I go on walks, but I live on a dead end road so it's pretty safe because there's hardly any traffic and plenty of dogs to warn me of cars coming.
  • tessa3r
    tessa3r Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Since I just got back from my run, I listen to music when I'm by myself. It's at a level which still lets me hear what's going on around me since I run on rural roads without sidewalks. I want to know when those cars are coming or there is a dog or something else around. I run during the day because there are no street lights around and poeople tend to drive fairly fast on my curvy and hilly road.
    When I bring my young boys, there is no music. They don't know enough road etiquette for me to be anything but super vigilant.
  • Natural
    Natural Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    started with music, now i go without. sometimes i listen if i'm on the treadmill, but when i have to crank up the speed, all that noise has to stop.
  • Chibs82
    Chibs82 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Short Version: Yes I need to listen to music. :)

When I do my cardio I generally throw my gym towel over the display so I can't see how long I have left to go. I'll then just divide up the time loosely by 4, twenty minutes is 5 tracks on my iPod. I then count how far along I am by how many tracks are left. After all the tracks have finished, I'm allowed to look under the towel :)

Sound stupid but it let me focus on other things when training. Also let me go from being unable to go for 10mins at new year to running 40mins every day now (work has gym).
  • ElleOQuent
    ElleOQuent Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Music is what keeps me going. Without it, I would give up as soon as I hit my mental wall.
  • DanMason007
    DanMason007 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Good post, we just had a female attacked while walking or jogging at nigh here. It is not safe, becarful!
  • HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I have music because I cant stand to hear my breathing as it would make me focus on it, I like to mouth along the words as I run showing that I am at a pace I could comfortably carry on a conversation at .....and it takes my mind off the run
  • nelson_anna
    nelson_anna Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Without. I run outside and I listen carefully to my breath to keep it steady. Music only makes me want to run/breathe to the beat and that screws my body up. Also, my TMJD is so bad that I can't have anything in my ear canals or it will throw my jaw off.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I should add, I almost never listen to music anyway. Only in the car. I am a singer, and I can't separate myself from the music, so I can't have it on in the background, because either it's just noise, which is annoying, or I am listening to it and not getting on with anything else. I can't listen to music and concentrate on anything else. Also, it usually clashes with the constant music in my head.
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I run without music. I have found that my mile time is faster, and I like listening to the sounds around me. I also can focus more easily on my breathing and making sure I am pacing myself correctly. I have been able to achieve 'runners high' only during runs without music.
  • gorgeouss9
    Options
    I'm starting to get sick of having music blasting in my ears.. nowadays I love walking or jogging with a partner, sans music.
  • thunderlight7
    Options
    I wouldn't be where I am with my health if I didn't have music through those loooooooonnnnngggg cardio bouts. I hate to say it, but its a necessity.
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Running outside, without. Takes away from the experience.
    Inside on treadmill, 50/50. Longer, less intensity, I listen. Shorter and/or harder intervals, no music. I'll just stop listening to it anyway.
  • CourteneyLove
    CourteneyLove Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    WITH music. lots of bass and techno. I can't stand even the sound of machines at the gym... let alone people.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I have to have music wherever I run or work out.

If I'm running outside in an area that's not well lit or I'm worried about traffic, I'll pause the music and remove my headphones.
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    With music. It pumps me up.
  • suttercm
    suttercm Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I always listen to music, but I also always have a dog with me who alerts me to anything coming around.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Music. Fast, angry music. :laugh: