"Cheat" days?

Replies

• sullyboo
    sullyboo Posts: 256 Member
    Maybe not a good idea to think of it as cheating as this is for you and noone else so technically you are only cheating you (one tip i'll give you though is to check the search option for any questions you might have as many people discuss te same issues).. This is a new lifestyle for you not a diet - I find that mindset helps me anyway. You can still have the things you enjoy but maybe in smaller quantities and mixed up with a whole lot of good healthy stuff instead. So long as you exercise and eat sensibly then you can still enjoy weekends away even if you don't have time for structured exercise - maybe you and your man can go for nice long walks together and burn some cals at the same time.

Once you get into this you will soon realise its not that hard - especially once you see and feel the changes happening.

Good luck on your journey x
  • sburde2
    sburde2 Posts: 178 Member
    I don't plan a cheat day but they happen. I go out to eat or go to a bar with friends about once a week and this is when I splurge. It happens and I move on.
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    I used to have cheat days but I really don't anymore. I do have days I go above my calories though, but as long as my weekly numbers are good I am good with it :)
  • NavyIT85
    NavyIT85 Posts: 26 Member
    My question is, I have heard some people give themselves a cheat day once a week where they can eat whatever they want and not count calories or stick with low-fat items. I can see it going both ways...it would be nice to be able to splurge and not feel like I am depriving myself, but it could also backfire if you start eating whatever you want every day...

What does everyone here do? Cheat days or no?

This is going to shock you, but you can indeed eat what you want every day and lose weight just fine.

unless you add ...staying in a caloric deficit...this is total crap

What he said^
  • Qatsi
    Qatsi Posts: 2,191 Member
    I don't schedule my "cheat" days - but I allow them to happen occasionally. I count calories even on those days, so I know how much I've gone over on those days.

My weight-loss goal is currently at 2 pounds a week, or a deficit of 1000 calories per day. Even on my cheat days, I never overshoot by that much, so I'm still moving in the right direction - just not as fast.

If the occasional "cheat" day is what helps to keep you from feeling deprived and getting discouraged, then I say go for it. Just keep the long-term goal clearly in mind.
  • kayleystar
    kayleystar Posts: 51 Member
    Nope, I don't have a 'cheat day'. I eat what I want, everything in moderation as it is, and just consciously try to eat more clean. I log everything I put in my mouth, each and every day, and if I go over occasionally, that's fine.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    I think it totally depends on where you are with your weight loss. I do believe that there are those occasions that you are going to eat...I usually do a double workout..and eat clean up until the event...and I don't regret it

That's the big thing..if you regret what you ate..then its not worth it..it has to be worth it.

I live with the 80/20 rule...Each day..you strive to be 100% spot on..but if at the end of the day..you ate 80% well..its a good day...that's usually what I do every day...

But if you are starting out....you are still learning..so I wouldn't do anything for at least a month
  • Firebird_Rising
    Firebird_Rising Posts: 15 Member
    As a rule, I don't include cheat days since it would be one of those "slippery slope" situations like you mentioned.

In the two months-ish that I've been doing this, I gave myself two days off - Christmas and New Years Eve - in which family things came up and I know there'd be no way to fall within my daily limits. Otherwise, I have been diligent in sticking to my plan.

Don't fret too much about missing a day or two of exercise here and there. The most important thing is to be at (or under) your calorie limit at the end of each day. And besides, even five hours of exercise a week is a good achievement as well!

I think, though, as you go along and get some weeks under your belt, you're going to come up with a setup that works best for you!

Good luck, and remember, your best tool in losing weight is willpower. As long as you have that, you will achieve your goals!
  • Yes, I have a cheat day every 10 days.. :smokin:
  • nnapieralski
    nnapieralski Posts: 132 Member
    My boyfriend is a runner and he does the 4 Hour Body diet, which includes a "binge" day. It works for him, but everyone is different.
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    I don't plan for cheat days, but if I go over every so often it's not a big deal to me and it has not hurt my efforts. I usually try to hit my net goals for the week rather than just the day.

^^^This.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    cheat days don't exist for me. I have put too much time effort and money into my health and fitness to cheat!
  • Cheat days are great especially if you have them on days when you are with family and friends - my family life revolves around the table and I still tempt the kids home with the promise of Dad's curries - no wonder I have to count the calories the rest of the week!
  • I don't plan or schedule cheat days, or tell myself I can have one every so often in a certain amount of time. If it happens, it happens, as long as it doesn't happen regularly.

Afterall, when you have a nutritional foundation, you can bounce back from a bad day better than if you don't. And you can't have several cheat days to have said foundation.
  • firstnamekaren
    firstnamekaren Posts: 274 Member
    I wouldn't do cheat days until I've reached my goal weight. That's just me though.
  • Bikini_Bound150
    Bikini_Bound150 Posts: 461 Member
    Some days I have them, but I never plan them. Or if I know I"ll be eating something bad later (like at a party) I will plan my workout around it. Do a little extra here or there. Planning 1 fail day is just setting back your potential.
  • I personally and coach my clients to have 1 cheat meal (not a day) as a reward and something ot look forward to.

Just what I do.

Matt
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    No, I do not plan for them. I occasionally have a meal that is a bit overboard, but I rarely let a whole day get taken over! Not even Christmas or Thanksgiving. Let this be a change to your whole life, not just 5 days a week! :smile:
  • determined2lose89
    determined2lose89 Posts: 342 Member
    Cheat day? No.

Cheat meal once a week? Good option

OR

Have a Maintenance calorie day once every 10 days.
  • boobee32
    boobee32 Posts: 450 Member
    I have a "cheat meal" maybe once a week at the most. I do it when I feel like I need it and I find that it helps me stay on track by not having nagging cravings all the time. For me, there is just no alternative to buffalo wings and ice cream and eating a piece of fruit or some damn rice cakes like they suggest just doesn't cut it. Instead of getting discouraged by this one hefty meal I just accept it and move on, and carry out the rest of my day like a normal diet day!

Totally agreed. I am going to do this as welll. Last year, I was here for 5 months....ate all the right things religiously!! Never had anything I wasnt supposed to. Vacation came and never left. I am back again, but this time, I will NOT deprive myself because I was, deprived the last time that is and I was miserable. I think personally for me, it is going to keep me on track.