Totally hateful comments by extended family members...

Options
I was informed a few minutes ago by my mother's husband that I would never lose the weight I'm trying to lose because of my age (31). Then he proceeds to ask me how much I weigh and then laugh maniacally that I weigh five pounds more than he does.

There are several things about this that piss me off:
1. We aren't close so he has NO business talking to me about how much I weigh...or how much weight I should lose.
3. These rude comments were made loudly and repeated for emphasis IN FRONT OF MY CHILDREN.
4. I don't argue in front of my kids and I was so angry I just took my kids and left.
5. I'm not THAT old and I'm not THAT overweight.
6. He's 3 inches shorter than I am and I can guarantee that my body fat is probably lower than HIS!

Sometimes people totally suck. Sometimes family dynamics suck. What just makes me irate is that I didn't say anything. I know nothing I say would matter to him I just wish I had put him in his place.

K

Replies

• Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I was informed a few minutes ago by my mother's husband that I would never lose the weight I'm trying to lose because of my age (31). Then he proceeds to ask me how much I weigh and then laugh maniacally that I weigh five pounds more than he does.

1. We aren't close so he has NO business talking to me about how much I weigh...or how much weight I should lose.
    3. These rude comments were made loudly and repeated for emphasis IN FRONT OF MY CHILDREN.
    4. I don't argue in front of my kids and I was so angry I just took my kids and left.
    6. He's 3 inches shorter than I am and I can guarantee that my body fat is probably lower than HIS!

Sometimes people totally suck. Sometimes family dynamics suck. What just makes me irate is that I didn't say anything. I know nothing I say would matter to him I just wish I had put him in his place.

K

He sounds like a right pig! Did your mother hear all this? If so, did she not say anything?
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    You walked away with your dignity intact. Well done.
  • PanteraGirl
    PanteraGirl Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    What an A-hole....don't give him the satisfaction of being pissed off. He's an idiot. I hope that comments stop! Does say stuff like that often?
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    There is no place low enough you could put him hun. You don't need his validation for yourself or what you are doing. So his opinion means nothing and is worth nothing and therefore you have no need to say anything back to him. Just smile sweetly and change the subject in future, (Always infuriates people)
  • leannamichelle
    leannamichelle Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that happened to you. Just lose the weight and prove him wrong. And 31 is NOT old and if you figure out what works for you, losing the weight shouldn't be too hard. I also commend you for not arguing in front of your children (I hold the same policy). However, You and I need to learn how to respectfully disagree with someone in front of our children. It will teach them the proper way to stand up for themselves. Best wishes on your weight loss journey. You can do it!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,079 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm with Sagetracey. You were the better person, and you can bet your kids took notice.
  • twinmama1987
    twinmama1987 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    WELLLLLLLL.... you know what to do. LOSE the weight and blow him out of the water! Shove it in his face.
  • msjones2831
    msjones2831 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    When ppl make such rude and inappropriate comments sometimes that's the best way to handle it---say nothing. Also it's great that you did not argue with him and say disrespectful things back, you set a great example for your children. You know the best way to shut him up is to live a healthy life and loose the weight you want to lose. That will show him!
  • twanthe1
    twanthe1 Posts: 407
    Options
    People do suck at times but don't let it throw you off your game. It's all bout your own self determination.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    You did the right thing, best to get out of there before the situation deteriorated further.

My best piece of advice from this though, take a mental note of how he made you feel, and next time you are struggling for motivation to get to the gym etc, use it! Prove the fat little *kitten* wrong, then go back and kick his *kitten*! :P
  • abbbigayl
    abbbigayl Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    You're better off taking the high road...some people are just clueless. Besides you can and will reach your goal, and your kids will see it and be proud.
  • sansouchi1050
    Options
    Mean people suck!!! I feel your pain! I have completely hateful in-laws. I avoid conflict with them by avoiding them. I also get a little joy by knowing I'll be the one picking out their nursing home :blushing:
  • TMLPatrick
    TMLPatrick Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Family sucks.... that's why they're family. If they were people you chose, they'd be much better to deal with. Anyway, that sucks for you, he has no right telling you what you can or can't accomplish... especially in a humiliating way...
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Walk away and don't discuss it when he is around. I would not have told him how much I weigh, that is noone else's business.
    Remember that you can't control other people's behaviour but you can control how you deal with it. Well done for staying cool, especially in front of your kids.
  • Iamkim73
    Iamkim73 Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    I'm 38 an have lost 35 lbs... One example of how he is wrong.... Stay motivated and prove him wrong!

Some people just suck and it sounds like he is one of them.

It is tough to have someone say mean things to you much less in front of your kids. Look at it this way, you just taught your kids a life lesson in the strength of just walking away?
  • jenniferdances1
    jenniferdances1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    What a jerk-ish thing to do! I'd be pissed too! Don't listen to his nonsense! You can lose it and now you have the impending satisfaction of proving him wrong to motivate you even more!:)
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    I hope your mom sticks up for you and tells him he was acting totally inappropriately!!
  • sportstercindy
    Options
    He's obviously insecure and has to make everyone else look bad to make himself look good. But you walked away with your pride and showed your kids how to be "above" jerks like that.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I have learned long ago that my family is NOT a good network of support in my life for anything.

That ship sailed, and when I finally shrugged off the shackles of family once and for all, it was liberating.
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options

K

maybe he has some deep rooted sexual attraction to you and he is behaving like a school kid idiot, or he is simply just an idiot.

Most of the time, not saying anything at all is the best thing to say. I should listen to my advice. Eh...