Scale refusing to move!

So here is my dilemma.........The scale does not want to move..... 0.2 # weight loss in 1 month. Are you fricking kidding me? Averaging almost 500-1000 cal. def. a day. Working out everydayI. Growing frustrated at all the work and micromanaging I am doing for very slow results! I am inviting everyone to view my diary and offer input! Thanks! :)

Replies

• ayshamc
    ayshamc Posts: 226 Member
    Me too! I know exactly how you feel... 9 days and not even .1 of a kilo change, which is really odd for me!

If you get through it, let me know how!! :-)
  • susanb573
    susanb573 Posts: 111 Member
    I looked at your diary and the only thing i can see there is that some days you are below 1000 calories. Try to eat more. It looks like you are close to your goal weight and perhaps your body is just comfortable at the weight you are at? Surely the weight will start to go down again. Plateaus are frustrating.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    The less you eat, the more your metabolism slows down. You need to find that sweet spot where it burns faster than you're eating, but doesn't slow down because there's not enough fuel for the fire, so to speak. There's no way you should be consuming under 1200 cals a day as that will just lead to a sluggish system. Up the calories and make sure you're getting enough every day. Start at 1200 if you're often coming below that, see how that goes for a week. Up it to 1300, try that for a week. Up it to 1400. If at any point you lose less in one week than the week before, drop it back to the calorie intake of the week before.

Edit: Looking at your diary, I think I need to say that you need to NET 1200. Your Net calories are Calorie Intake - Exercise Calories. If you do 1000 exercise calories in a day, you need to eat 2200 to stay above the net you need to prevent your system slowing down too much.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    According to your ticker, you have about 11 pounds to go... When you have so little to lose, your body can't afford a 500-1000 calorie deficit. Aim for a 250 calorie deficit and see how it goes. Be aware that your body might fluctuate a little with the increased food intake, so don't weigh yourself right away.
  • DarkAngellEyes
    DarkAngellEyes Posts: 317 Member
    You are definitely not eating enough. I know it sounds counter-intuitive but seriously... eat more to lose more. You must give your body the fuel it needs. Also, try switching up your exercises - if you do mostly cardio, try adding in some strength training. Your body may have gotten used to your routines and could probably use a little shake up.

Im struggling with a plateau right now too so I know how frustrating it can be. Either way, good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    you are not eating enough.
  • Its a plateau. Do something to confuse your body. Eat something different. Eat a little bit more. Change up your workout routine.
  • Fit_Forever25
    Fit_Forever25 Posts: 313 Member
    You definitely need more food .. you are not eating enough and that why body is refusing to react to the workout and calorie deficit.
    You might have stopped noticing it but your body might be starving for food and now its in a habit of getting that less of calories through out the day..
    You should try to change ur diet and calorie intake and it should work defo!!
    Good luck!
  • EmilyQC
    EmilyQC Posts: 69 Member
    Give yourself a week break... let your body reset. If you push it too much you'll start to slow down and come to a halt. Much like a vacation, but don't go overboard.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    You are not eating enough.
    Same old story.
    Make sure you're eating to goal, and make certain you're eating back your exercise calories.

Simply stated MFP has already figured out your total calories you need to eat per day to lose 1lb etc. a week.
    That's WITHOUT exercise. You'll notice that when you actually add exercise in, the calorie limit goes up.
    Why? Because it's telling you to eat your exercise calories.
    Large deficits aren't really good to do because while you will lose weight, what kind of weight will it be?
    In many cases you'll lose lean muscle tissue which LOWERS your metabolic rate even more.
    Then you have to eat even less to compensate for less of a calorie burn to continue to lose the same amount
    of weight each week.

Be efficient.
    Exercise hard and eat back the calories. The hard exercise will RAISE your metabolic rate and burn more fat at rest.
  • Leamac83
    Leamac83 Posts: 99 Member
    Im having the same trouble as you right now, so im not really the best person to tell you what to do but....

Id say eat more, but eat more fresh vegetables and fruit. If you dont want to stuff yourself then fruit is good as it has the calories your body needs. Also you could try cutting out the processed things and the yoghurts. I know they are low fat and whatever but try and give your body a break from it and see if you can rev up your metabolisim a bit.

Good Luck :)
  • tnorth82
    tnorth82 Posts: 186
    me too, 3 weeks, 3lb lost so frustrating!
    Im working out but the workouts Im doing are burning around 600 calories so theres no way Im eating that much back!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Im working out but the workouts Im doing are burning around 600 calories so theres no way Im eating that much back!

600 really isn't a lot to ask for. Grab yourself some dark chocolate if you're finding it difficult.
  • DarkAngellEyes
    DarkAngellEyes Posts: 317 Member

wait... you lost 3 lbs in 3 weeks? How is that a plateau?! 1lb a week is awesome!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    WHAT?

That's right on the money; this is not a race.
    You are losing weight and retaining health.

Forget that absurd TV show "Biggest Loser".
    That's an encyclopedia of what NOT to do.

Again, you are doing GREAT!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,315 Member
    From the 4 days I looked at you are not eating enough. You need to eat at least part of your exercise calories. That number at the bottom stating calories remaining is not your daily deficit, that would be in addition to your daily deficit which is already built into your calorie allowance for the day. Assuming you are measuring your food carefully, you are placing your body in a position where it is not getting enough calories to function well, but enough that it is not actually starving. Since you only have 17 pounds to lose, your body will hold on your fat. Here is a helpful guide to calorie deficits http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

I don't know what you have your weighloss goal set at, but if it is 2 pounds per week change it to 1 at the most.
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member

600 really isn't a lot to ask for. Grab yourself some dark chocolate if you're finding it difficult.

Or an ounce of pecans for a whopping 200 calories.
  • CassieD2008
    CassieD2008 Posts: 10 Member
    It should work to eat less more frequently. Try and eat not under 1400 calories a day if you are a woman. A great way to workout is to keep your heart guessing by increasing heart rate and slowing it down. What I do is run 3 minutes fast and 3 minutes walk and repeat all together for 30 minutes and increase the time when you feel it's easy. It is a great way to melt fat.
  • gioisa75
    gioisa75 Posts: 242 Member
    Increase your caloric intake!
  • aprilshowers262
    aprilshowers262 Posts: 96 Member
    have you talked to your doctor? I was having issues and couldn't understand why. suddenly a new diagnosis of a hypo-active thyroid made perfect sense.
  • timadotcom
    timadotcom Posts: 653 Member
    i used to get on the scale everysignle day, now I do it once a week. I do not care for the scale and actually would not really get on it if it wasn't for the challenges im doing on here. I know i'm loosing inches because all of my clothes that I used to wear before I got pregnant are now loose on me. I was a size 8 beofre i got pregnant and now I can fit into a size 6 jeans with no problem, however the scale is not where I thought it would be. needles to say i am not stopping and i'm not focusing on the scale, I'm focusing on my endurance and strength. When I started I could not do 1 push up for the life of me and now, I can easily do 10 push ups without dying.

I can go on forever, but I won't--- stop obssessing with the scale and just focus on becoming fit and gaining muscle... this will keep you motivated!
  • hitslikeagirl
    hitslikeagirl Posts: 14 Member
    I'm wondering why your not tracking your sugar intake. It would be interesting to see that added to your journal. It appears that your going to be way over on every day I looked at (which was about 6 days). I've struggled with cutting back on sugar. There is so much sugar hidden in foods-even fresh fruits and veggies. I can honestly say that once I started cutting down on sugar my cravings for sugar did decrease. It's like my body was addicted and wanted the sugar. I was weak and giving in to it The first 3-4 weeks was the toughest, but by 3 months later the cravings are pretty much gone.

Of course there's no ONE thing that's "the key", but the combination of the basics (reduced daily calories, eating approx. every 3 hours 4+ times per day- no later than 7pm, exercise 30+ mins at least 3 days a week, drink at least 6 8oz glasses of water a day) along with finding my "key" (the sugar control) has worked for me.

If your thinking i can't give up my sweets- then maybe you SHOULD give it a try. I started out with the Ghiradelli dark chocolate gems (they're like $3,99 for a bag at Marshall's or TJ Maxx). Even though the portion size is like 9 pieces, I'd have 2 a day along with 6 Blue Diamond unsalted almonds.

I'd love to hear back from you. I'll send you a friend request, if accepted you can view my diary.

I lost 25# in 8 weeks. I've maintained the loss over the holidays without missing out on eating. I started back on "the plan" on 1/1612. I've got 40# to go by my 50th birthday on 7/1/12.

Can you add the sugar tracker in your settings? I'm hoping if you do it will be retroactively displayed in your food diary.

GOOD LUCK!
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    When you get to a plateau, think of it as a landing on the stairway to your goal. And maintenance is a lifelong plateau, so a bit of "rehearsal" for maintenance isn't the worst thing in the world.
  • gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    first thing I do check when asked is look at sugar or fake sweeteners. some food choices are poor but you may get away with it ... others here said - eat more, move more .... be more patient ! Condiments can be sooooo overrated and such a cop-out for trying to tell your body what is good for it. Add sodium column and sugars and ask someone for another look in the next week or 2.

I am no expert .. just what worked for me ... drop the sugars ... move more. Otherwise I eat the same as I used to (and can I eat HEAPS) - denying my taste buds for a while !!! OR swapping for a natural source (read: cravings eg sweetness, swap for an apple some time that day).

I used to drink lots of caffeinated sodas, my swap was tea ! Swap it, dont stop it !

You do not have that far to go, so give yourself a daily pat on the back for trying. Positivity is ALWAYS helpful !
  • hitslikeagirl
    hitslikeagirl Posts: 14 Member
    I just noticed, for some reason the food diary in the MFP app at the www.myfitnesspal.com site does not track sugar or sodium, but the iPad app does. Not sure why this is.
  • all work up's negative...
  • good point. is there a way to adjust that on the computer version?
  • MrzBlessedLady
    MrzBlessedLady Posts: 164 Member
    You are not alone! I am working out 5 days a week and my calorie intake is 2800..the scale has not moved yet! I am going to be patient because I think the actual stress of thinking about it is what's keeping me from loosing weight. Keep up the hard work it will pay off soon! I just keep believing that one day soon the scale is going to say I lost 7 or 8 pounds in one week.
  • i would cut back on that yogurt ur eating 20carbs per lil cup that's a lot! and check ur sugar intake
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Went back a week in your diary. Eat your goal. That is all.