Loosing weight with out exercising ?? NOT !

Options
13»

Replies

• cryspetstalerson
    Options
    My cousin's wife has a lot of medical issues and her doctor advised her that she could lose weight, sticking to a low cal diet. Sometimes once you are overweight or have certain medical issues, eating healthy is the first step into losing weight. Once you drop a certain amount, then you can proceed to do workouts.
  • caramkoala
    caramkoala Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Um, it's "lose" and "losing", not "loose"/"loosing.":)

When you first change your diet and start eating healthy foods at proper portions, it's quite normal to lose a lot of weight without exercising. For many people, this loss is the encouragement and confidence they need to go to a gym or sign up for a fitness class. After I lost my first 20 pounds (with no exercise, just a healthy diet devised by a dietician) I felt so much better about myself that I was ready to get active. The combo of diet and exercise has since brought me a nearly 40 pound total loss.

If someone had criticized me at the beginning for not immediately jumping into an exercise program, I'd have been quite discouraged. We need to encourage everyone's efforts for what they are and let them find their way in terms of exercise in their own time.

:bigsmile: :flowerforyou:
  • cryspetstalerson
    Options
    Some life circumstances don't allow for exercise. Injuries, illnesses, time constraints, etc. (I do exercise btw. And I'm grateful I'm able to)

This.
    Lupus here. I try to walk when I can. I'm grateful for the exercise I'm able to do, but it isn't much, and there have been times in my life when it was nothing.

I feel for you with that. I have PCOS and endometriosis. I had to change my diet to fit these, b/c with PCOS I have an insulin resistance. Once I changed my eating habits I dropped 22 pounds. That 22 pounds made a difference, and now I am able to workout. Although my doctor doesn't want me doing the workouts I do. He wants me to stick to a stationary bike until some more of the weight drops off, so I don't hurt myself ( I had a growth spurt in 6th grade that caused my muscle to be too weak for my bones, and I hurt my ankles a lot) However now I am learning new ways to workout. But those days that the endometriosis hits me are the worst. It feels like I am in labor. ( I have a child so I know what that feels like! lol)
  • Zoe_UK_39
    Options
    I 100% agree with lorlee.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Why do people insist on bragging that they loose weight with out exercising.
    Why? Because there are idiots on here who insist that it is not possible to lose weight without exercising.

Whereas the truth is that of course it is possible. Desirable, no.

But perhaps when people stop insisting that it's impossible, people will stop feeling the need to brag that they were wrong.

Personally, I think that any progress towards a healthier body is to be applauded. Obviously there are great benefits for people if they work out while losing weight, but that might seem too much of a change to deal with all at once. It's highly likely that many people who first tackle their poor eating habits, once they have lost some weight, will go on to make further changes which will include incorporating exercise into their daily routine.
    rebyekah:

Some people have to take lifestyle choices one step at a time to make it lasting and work for them. I was one of those people and I'm not by any means lazy. IMHO your thinking is lazy.
    IMNSHO I agree! :bigsmile:
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Why do people insist on bragging that they loose weight with out exercising.

Why do you consider it bragging? They are just telling their own stories.
  • Opeth09
    Options
    This post is hilarious because there are too many factors involved. For example, someone who is morbidly obese (600 lbs) could for sure lose weight by switching to just a healthy diet. They could lie in bed all day long and do nothing except eat healthier and lose weight. However, someone like myself may be able to lose fat without exercise, but I'd also lose muscle. A lot of muscle. Once you get to a certain bodyfat percentage I think weightlifting of some sort becomes vital or else you're just going to lose muscle, which is not going to look good on anyone.
  • cryspetstalerson
    Options
    This post is hilarious because there are too many factors involved. For example, someone who is morbidly obese (600 lbs) could for sure lose weight by switching to just a healthy diet. They could lie in bed all day long and do nothing except eat healthier and lose weight. However, someone like myself may be able to lose fat without exercise, but I'd also lose muscle. A lot of muscle. Once you get to a certain bodyfat percentage I think weightlifting of some sort becomes vital or else you're just going to lose muscle, which is not going to look good on anyone.

Agreed, it can be looked at so many different ways. There are too many circumstances.
  • olee67
    olee67 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    My mother has several screws in her back from a past car accident and has lost 30 lbs without being able to do exercise. It's just different for everyone... That's all there is to it.
  • Darlis
    Darlis Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    For myself I appreciate all the positive comments here about losing weight without exercise....until you are able to exercise. When you can get to that point be so grateful that you are able to "hit the gym"! I have MS (Multiple Sclerosis), I have a lot of weight to lose and I exercise when I can, and when my body allows me to. However with "limited" exercise I have managed to lose 52 lbs, and my body is MUCH better off for the weight loss!
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    What ever works for you, most people on this site do not have degrees in anything so if you don't have a degree it is only an opinion which is neither right or wrong but it yours
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Ok, half of the people obviously did not read the post clearly. The OP is more upset about people who brag about losing weight without exercise, like its a good thing.

Obviously, he is not trying to say that people with medical issues need to exercise.

He never said that you NEED exercise to lose weight.

But promoting no exercise at a fitness website is not a good thing either.

I do think that the word "lazy" could have been left out of the original post.
  • nikolaim5
    nikolaim5 Posts: 233
    Options
    Is this thread still going??

Healthy Eating = Good

Healthy Eating + Exercise = Better

/end thread.