Chubby Chaser or Truth? GF says enough already! stop losing

Options
I weighed in this morning and I am 29 pounds down from my start weight of 261, 19 pounds lost since joining MFP. I am a male 48 years old, 5' 11" tall. I weighed 231.8 this AM my goal is 190 pounds and then to maintain between 190 and 200.

My GF today (who is a RN) says I should stop at 230 because i am fine and 190 isn't reasonable. That if I get to the 190 I will just gain all my weight back and then be sad, but If I make my goal the 230 and now switch to maintain mode I will be happy.

I was kind of devastated, I was expecting a good job on getting to 232 pounds. I am happy she accepts me as i am, but I don't believe I am at a healthy weight. I am not trying to get to the recommended weight for my height. At 190 my BMI would still be 26 or 27 and considered overweight. I got to 202 pounds back in 2001 and I looked and felt great and i am thinking I would again. I still have diabetes and circulation issues which I did point out to her. My goal in losing isn't just to get skinny but to get off my medications. She wavered a bit when I told her that, but I don't think she was sold.

Does she have a point?

I know she finds bigger guys more attractive than skinny ones and at 190 I will still be a bigger guy in my opinion. I also plan to change my exercise from 90% aerobic to 75% weight lifting so that I can tone and reshape myself. I don't want to lose all this weight only to lose my GF of the past three years.

She is at a different point in her life than I am. She is only 41 years old, and doesn't have the best eating and exercise habits, but I don't bother her about all of that. If we go out I order and do something healthy and smaller portion but I don't deny her or pick on her about her habits. Do you think that she may just be mad that I am doing something about my weight but she isn't?

Has anyone else gone through this with a loved one? My Ex Wife lost 140 pounds through gastric bypass. I loved her when she was obese and I loved her as she lost weight. (she loved a lot of other people besides me though LOL). I don't understand where this is coming from.

:(

Replies

• neznarf0205
    neznarf0205 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    My BMI is 32.3 right now. I am still considered obese until I hit 210. :(
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    My BMI is 32.3 right now. I am still considered obese until I hit 210. :(

Honest opinion. You know when you are at the weight you want to be. You will feel great, if you feel you aren't there then I'd go with that judgement. Your girl loves you, then she'll understand that. You have to feel good about where you are or its all for naught.
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I think you're right about her not wanting you to lose too much because of her own insecurities. As she sees you getting healthier, she may be worried that you'll move on from her.
    Anyone who tells you that 230 is a healthy weight is just wrong. You are about the same height and age as I am and, at 218, I think I'm still way too heavy. I'm also looking to hit about 185-190 and then maintain from there. For her to be an RN and still say that is what makes me think that she's projecting her issues on to you.
    You're doing great and should be getting encouragement from her. Be proud of how far you've come already and keep your eye on your goals. Perhaps as you get nearer your goal weight and she sees that you still love her, she'll be happier and more supportive
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I have a few opinions on this.

First, blame Paula Dean. That bish clearly is out to sabotage all of us.

More to the point though, I would guess that it's possible that some of her issues with your weight loss has to do with her own body and/or eating habits. As an RN I would assume that she should know that 5'11" and 230 is not healthy.

(Hopefully you don't take this out of context-- you are doing GREAT so far and I'm sure you'll keep kicking *kitten* and dropping weight-- so in that regard, congrats!)

Even 5'11" and 190, unless you're packing quite a bit of lean mass, is still overweight. I don't say that to discourage you at all, obviously 190 is light-years ahead of 260 in terms of being healthy -- just making a point that your GF is clearly not considering health markers when she is thinking about your weight. To me, that's a little concerning.

In closing, these are just my thoughts on this and I know I'm probably not offering any help whatsoever at this point....
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    I hate the BMI chart, I would keep going if you felt like you should, but focus more on the weights. I also like bigger men and if you lift she will appreciate what you have done to your body. You will look very HOT!!! and not skinny at all :bigsmile:
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    I would guess that it's possible that some of her issues with your weight loss has to do with her own body and/or eating habits.

^I kind of agree here.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and small-framed. My boyfriend told me at 155 that I was too skinny and needed to stop. I told him I wasn't happy yet and it's about me, not him and kept going.

Do what makes you happy.

People who are used to seeing you at a certain weight have a hard time accepting that you will still look good at a lower weight. They just need time to get used to it.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    First, blame Paula Dean. That bish clearly is out to sabotage all of us.

That goes without saying.
  • erxkeel
    erxkeel Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    No. Dont stop. 190 is much more reasonable for your height. My opinion only. You have to make that choice. Not her, not me.
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    one more thing I am 5'4 and 178lbs. My body fat % is 24% and my dress size is 8.
    My measurements are 37" chest 36D, 25" waist, 37" hip
    My BMI says I am obese but according to my Doc I am not!!
    I am posting my pics just to show you how small I look with an Obese reading on my BMI.

These pics were taken yesterday after my workout at the gym:
    IMG_16712.jpgIMG_1672small.jpg

I would ignore the BMI chart and just start lifting heavy and hard, it will give you much better results :flowerforyou:

Edited to add a pic of me at my starting weight 11/2010
    DSCN01241.jpg
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I think 190 is definitely a better weight for your height. I'm 5'11 and 185 right now, and I still have further down I can go. Because you started higher, you naturally have more lean muscle mass than me, so 190 on you will look better than 185 does on me.

A lot of people have significant others who don't want them to lose weight. I don't understand it. It's one thing to love your SO no matter what even if they're overweight, but it's a completely different thing to stand in the way of their weight loss when it's something that they want.
  • philOHIO
    philOHIO Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    My Ex Wife lost 140 pounds through gastric bypass. I loved her when she was obese and I loved her as she lost weight. (she loved a lot of other people besides me though LOL). I don't understand where this is coming from.
    :(

I love that you said this... only because there have been at least a dozen couples in my circle of friends that the woman lost weight and 'rediscovered her hotness' and ran off with another guy. Problem is... these were GOOD husbands, not abusers or lazies. Don't understand it.
  • NaomiLyn15
    NaomiLyn15 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I think you're right about her not wanting you to lose too much because of her own insecurities. As she sees you getting healthier, she may be worried that you'll move on from her.

I agree with this. When I was at my heaviest, my husband started running again. He is a naturally thin guy (I actually only started weighing less than him in the last 2 months). So, when he started to trim up even more, I got really upset. But, really it was my own insecurities that were taking over. It wasn't that I didn't love him at any weight, because I definitely do. I just felt guilty because he looked so good, and I looked like a whale. But, now that I have taken control of my own life, I can see that. So, I think that you should continue on your path. Your goals don't seem unrealistic. Talk with your doctor, see if they agree with you that your end weight is right for your build, and then work towards that. I doubt that you will lose her because you are getting healthier, but if you do, then she truly didn't love you for you, and you deserve better than that anyway. Easier to say than live through, I know. But, don't let her discourage you from getting healthier. Good luck, and I hope that you do get off your meds!
  • katherinemm31
    Options
    I'm not going to try to play shrink to your wife, but I can tell you that I love teddy bears and lots of other women do, too. So sue me for never growing out of attraction to stuffed animals and fluffy pillows. Guys with a little belly are cute and cuddly. They keep you warmer in the winter. :smile:

I bet your wife will be attracted to you one way or another, but you should do whatever you feel is healthiest. That said, I don't think BMI is necessarily an indicator of health, and many doctors will say the same thing. Some elements of health that are excluded by BMI are build, where you hold your weight and how much cardio exercise you are able to do. In the end, you want a strong heart and muscles, but BMI is too general a number to get hung up on.
  • aimstein
    Options
    Perhaps your gf is a little insecure or just likes you a little bigger...I'm not sure since I don't know her, but it seems if she is an RN she would put your health concerns and needs before her personal preferences. I'm sure she'd like you healthy and alive the most...even if you're a little smaller or "skinny".

Continue on "your" path....do what makes you feel good and healthy. Your goal of 190 seems fine, and I think lifting in addition to your cardio is a smart path. Good luck on your journey and congrats on the accomplishments you've already made. Continue to do this for you. When you're happy and healthy everything else just seems to fall in line.
  • nuviag
    nuviag Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    opinion only

she thinks if you keep looking better you'll be to hot for her
  • gary8964
    Options
    Like another poster said, I HATE THE BMI CHART!! I am 47 and either 6' even or 6'1" depending on which convenience store I'm leaving (props to Ron White aka "Tater Salad"), and according to the BMI chart,(did I mention that I HATE IT,),my ideal weight is supposed to be somewhere between 180 and 200 lbs. That being said, even my Dietician expressed that due to my frame, that may not be a healthy weight range for me personally. My interim goal is 220 by memorial day, and then to eventually get to somewhere around 210 +/- a few. I would still be considered overweight according to "the chart", but because I do try to work out (mostly dumbbells/ body weight) and do as much cardio as I can fit in, I think my actual measured BMI will put me in a much better range. Thats just my humble opinion though.
  • beqy12
    beqy12 Posts: 569
    Options
    Thank you for this post.

My boyfriend is on a quest to get very muscular and he was smaller when I met him. I don't like the gym rat muscular look and kept telling him he looked good the way he was. I would look at his magazines with him and tell him I thought the bodybuilders looked gross. Your post has made me realize how selfish I'm being and should support him in whatever makes him feels best about himself, and congratulate him when he reaches the milestones he's aiming for. Thank you for opening my eyes to this. I guess sometimes it's easy to get blinded by what we want and just be plain selfish. Tell her you're excited about your goal and would appreciate her support.

However - here's the BOTTOM LINE: scrawny skinny or meat-head jacked, I'm still going to love him all the same... even if his neck does get all muscle head big someday and he can't put his arms down, it would not change my feelings about him.

If your GF has been with you for three years, I'm sure(hope) your case is the same.
  • nuviag
    nuviag Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Bmi doesnt ask you if your curvy ...you do look good
    one more thing I am 5'4 and 178lbs. My body fat % is 24% and my dress size is 8.
    My measurements are 37" chest 36D, 25" waist, 37" hip
    My BMI says I am obese but according to my Doc I am not!!
    I am posting my pics just to show you how small I look with an Obese reading on my BMI.

These pics were taken yesterday after my workout at the gym:
    IMG_16712.jpgIMG_1672small.jpg

I would ignore the BMI chart and just start lifting heavy and hard, it will give you much better results :flowerforyou:

Edited to add a pic of me at my starting weight 11/2010
    DSCN01241.jpg
  • GinNouveau
    GinNouveau Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Love isn't logical. Talk to her about your goals and listen to her reasons why she thinks you don't need to lose anymore weight. Is it because she doesn't want you to be upset if you have a hard time getting to your goal? Is she telling you that she loves you the way you are so you don't feel like she will be disappointed if you don't lose? Is she insecure about her own weight and think you will think less of her or judge her bad habits if you meet your goal? Does she feel like your changing habits are changing your relationship? Does she think that you will become more attractive and fears the attention you may get from other women? She loves the way you look now and that's great! But the most important thing is that she love who you are at any weight. If she's feeling insecure, a little attention or extra reassurance while you're going through these changes could help. Get to where you want to be, this is for YOU. If she is really shallow enough to only like you heavy, then she may not like you old or sick either.