Biggest Loser comment about high calorie day??

Options
I have never really heard them say what amount of calories these people actually consume while at the ranch and last night there was a comment made about high calorie day so my guess is they vary it up a bit. Anybody else do this and get results? Just curious.

Replies

• ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I have never really heard them say what amount of calories these people actually consume while at the ranch and last night there was a comment made about high calorie day so my guess is they vary it up a bit. Anybody else do this and get results? Just curious.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I know some people do calorie cycling starting at 1200 then increasing to 1800 every other day ..the numbers vary with each person but it takes dedication and strict logging of food. Ive seen it work:flowerforyou:
  • Paeonia
    Paeonia Posts: 161
    Options
    Err I think I unintentionally do this...without great results :laugh:
  • ohthatbambi
    Options
    I am really curious about how many calories these people actually eat on the BL. I wish the show would share that info.
  • ohthatbambi
    Options
    Err I think I unintentionally do this...without great results :laugh:

Yeah me too...especially on the weekends (high calorie days):laugh:
  • Paeonia
    Options
    Found this info...

Biggest Loser Diet

* modified, low carbohydrate diet 45% of calories from carbohydrates (mostly fruits, vegetables and some whole grains), 30% of calories from protein, and 25% of calories from healthy fats or oils (seeds, nuts, avocado, olive oil)
    * no “white stuff”
    * whole foods, elemental ingredients
    * 4-3-2-1: daily 4 cups minimum of fruits and vegetables, 3 servings of healthy proteins (e.g. fish, skinless chicken breast, 93% lean ground turkey), 2 servings of whole grains, and 1 serving of healthy fat.
    * Aim for everyone to have 1 serving of fish daily.
    * There is room for 1 optional treat per day.
    * Cereals must have minimum 5 grams of fiber per serving and less than 5 grams of sugar per serving. This limits the cereals to certain oatmeals, bran cereals, or other high fiber cereals on the market.
    * Goal of 7 calories per pound of body weight for daily caloric intake. This is recalculated after significant weight loss.

Here:

http://rebeccascritchfield.wordpress.com/2007/10/15/science-behind-the-biggest-loser-diet/
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I'm on Maintenance calories and never eat the same calories each day. I don't figure out which days I eat more or less, it just happens. I also sometimes go over my calories also and I've maintained my weight for over a year now. I have heard of cycling your calories really working.
  • StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    Jillian talks about how much they eat at times on her radio show. She has pretty consistently indicated that the women eat between 1200-1400 calories and the men somewhere around 1800 calories. Obviously given the amount of weight being lost, these contestants aren't eating their exercise calories.

Jillian has also talked about the notion of a 'cheat' (a word she hates) or higher-calorie day. Apparently there is some disagreement between she and the doctor on the show whether such days are beneficial. I don't know if the contestants have 'high calorie' days, though Jillian does seem to favor them and last night's show seemed to imply that at least some contestants were using such days. But Jillian has told female callers that a higher calorie day would be taking their calories up to something like 1800 or so....not totally blowing their calorie count out of the water.
  • karlira
    karlira Posts: 100
    Options
    Hi!

I've heard that varying te amount of calories is good because that way your body doesn't really get used to a certain amount of calories. You know, in vey low calorie diets, the risk is that your body goes into Starvation mode so it stops burning fat. So having some high calorie days tricks your body to make it "think" your not starving. Also I've read it rev up the metabolism. Finally, I think is also a way no to be bored by the diet.

:happy:
  • ohthatbambi
    Options
    Jillian talks about how much they eat at times on her radio show. She has pretty consistently indicated that the women eat between 1200-1400 calories and the men somewhere around 1800 calories. Obviously given the amount of weight being lost, these contestants aren't eating their exercise calories.

Jillian has also talked about the notion of a 'cheat' (a word she hates) or higher-calorie day. Apparently there is some disagreement between she and the doctor on the show whether such days are beneficial. I don't know if the contestants have 'high calorie' days, though Jillian does seem to favor them and last night's show seemed to imply that at least some contestants were using such days. But Jillian has told female callers that a higher calorie day would be taking their calories up to something like 1800 or so....not totally blowing their calorie count out of the water.

Well I don't know how much time these people are actually spending in the gym, but it appears to be ALOT. I wondered about eating those earned calories and guessed by the crazy amounts of weight they lost each week that they didn't.
  • FitnessModel77
    Options
    I cannot remember where I read it - but it was probably something I read about last season's winner, Michelle.....

They do have one high calorie day.

But they are being much more closely monitored than you or I.

I am a huge fan of Tom Venuto. He is a body builder who has written books about re-programming the way you think and about burning fat efficiently. Anyway - one philosophy he talks about is zig-zagging your calories. Our bodies go into starvation mode if we cut our calories too drastically for longer than 2-3 days. He reccommends either (a) not cutting your calorie intake so drastically - just cut it to a small percentage below your maintenance needs or (b) zig-zagging..... Eat your low calorie days and then one high calorie day in spurts. So it may look like this 3 days at 1500 calories, 1 day at 1800 calories, repeat. And always re-evaluate once you've hit a plateau. You may need to re-adjust. He also says until you are in better control - maybe have a high calorie meal.....and don't let that meal last more than 1 hour.

Wow - long post. Check out Mr. Venuto. He has a website.....

Good luck!

And to sum up - they do have controlled high calorie days.
  • flcaoh
    flcaoh Posts: 444
    Options
    So, those of us that have been here a while have seen repeated debates over exercise calories.

What do you all think about the fact the the Biggest Loser contestants most likely don't eat their exercise calories? I'm sure everyone agrees that the incredible amount of weight they lose every week is not really healthy. But since we see/hear very little about most of the past contestants that don't win, do you think they have issues with the dreaded "starvation mode" and/or gaining back a lot of weight after the show? Even if they keep up with the healthy eating?

Just curious as to what everyone's opinion is.
  • ohthatbambi
    Options
    Found this info...

Biggest Loser Diet

* modified, low carbohydrate diet 45% of calories from carbohydrates (mostly fruits, vegetables and some whole grains), 30% of calories from protein, and 25% of calories from healthy fats or oils (seeds, nuts, avocado, olive oil)
    * no “white stuff”
    * whole foods, elemental ingredients
    * 4-3-2-1: daily 4 cups minimum of fruits and vegetables, 3 servings of healthy proteins (e.g. fish, skinless chicken breast, 93% lean ground turkey), 2 servings of whole grains, and 1 serving of healthy fat.
    * Aim for everyone to have 1 serving of fish daily.
    * There is room for 1 optional treat per day.
    * Cereals must have minimum 5 grams of fiber per serving and less than 5 grams of sugar per serving. This limits the cereals to certain oatmeals, bran cereals, or other high fiber cereals on the market.
    * Goal of 7 calories per pound of body weight for daily caloric intake. This is recalculated after significant weight loss.

Here:

http://rebeccascritchfield.wordpress.com/2007/10/15/science-behind-the-biggest-loser-diet/

So I take my weight and multiply times 7...that has me only eating 1085 a day...eeks, but for someone weighing 300 pounds that is 2100. I eat more than 1085...a good bit more and still lose, but slowly. Interesting info. Thanks for sharing!
  • Paeonia
    Options
    Yes, the calculation is just for people who need to lose a lot of weight. For me personally, if I followed that calculation, I would be eating like 900 cals...obviously not good...so yeah, this diet was created for BL sized people ~~~
  • ohthatbambi
    Options
    So, those of us that have been here a while have seen repeated debates over exercise calories.

What do you all think about the fact the the Biggest Loser contestants most likely don't eat their exercise calories? I'm sure everyone agrees that the incredible amount of weight they lose every week is not really healthy. But since we see/hear very little about most of the past contestants that don't win, do you think they have issues with the dreaded "starvation mode" and/or gaining back a lot of weight after the show? Even if they keep up with the healthy eating?

I am "iffy" on the whole exercise calorie thing. I actually tried it for 2 months and I gained almost 10 pounds so now I only eat some of them. Losing very slowly but losing. I think it is important to not starve your body but I think everyone needs to find what works for them and go with that. Eating all my ex. cals did NOT work. It was so frustrating too. Finally went to my doctor to have thyroid checked and when I told her what I had been doing she laughed at me and told me I was eating way too much. So I hope those people on BL are eating more than 1200 calories a day...their exercise routine looks crazy!
  • staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    i read on webmd the other night an article about losing larger amts of weight per week. i believe it's written by one of the bl drs. you might want to check that out. also, he stresses that bl people have LOTS of weight to lose so they--the show people-handle things differently. hth--
  • MyaPapaya75
    Options

I personally dont think starvation mode sets in as easily as many of us tend to believe..I dont think the BL contestants even get near starvation mode. I think they gain back just like the majority of the world..lack of will power and dedication and not stepping outside of their comfort zone once the "show" is over..I dont think the reason they may gain back really stems from the BL diet itself but more from the individual and the way we are raised and our environment...Kinda like birds of a feather flock together when you dont fix your families diet on a whole and you hang with people who eat fast food.or over indulge.... and dont excercise you tend to pick up those habits..or go back to old habits. Especially when we lack will power
  • flcaoh
    Options

I am "iffy" on the whole exercise calorie thing. I actually tried it for 2 months and I gained almost 10 pounds so now I only eat some of them. Losing very slowly but losing. I think it is important to not starve your body but I think everyone needs to find what works for them and go with that. Eating all my ex. cals did NOT work. It was so frustrating too. Finally went to my doctor to have thyroid checked and when I told her what I had been doing she laughed at me and told me I was eating way too much. So I hope those people on BL are eating more than 1200 calories a day...their exercise routine looks crazy!

When I was in Army boot camp (about 6 years ago) I was often moving and working out from 4am until 11pm... I am sure on BL they work out 6-8 hours a day, so their calories burned must be in the thousands, as I am sure mine was in boot camp. I went into boot camp weighing 145 pounds and came out weighing 155. I was SURE I'd lose weight but I didn't. I know I gained muscle though. When I look back at the food we ate, between calorie dense mess hall gunk and MRE's (Meals Ready to Eat - which are usually between 2500-3000 for each one) I'm sure I was eating between 5-6000 calories a day and I'm not surprised I didn't lose any weight - although if I knew then what I knew now I'd probably purposely eat less to lose weight LOL.
  • MyaPapaya75
    Options

I got to thinking about it those people are not working and Im willing to bet very sedentary when not in the gym for those 4-6hrs..Im willing to bet what we see on the show is the hardcore portion of their workouts but the remaining of the time they probably dont push as hard when their trainers are not present...It would kinda make sense for them to eat around 1200-1800 considering they arent doing anything else the rest of the day.. Just my opinion
  • flcaoh
    Options
    Wasn't there one challenge that lasted over 24 hours? The calories for that alone must have been really crazy high.

Back to the original subject (sorry for changing it LOL), I can totally understand the basis behind having a high calorie day to keep your body guessing... but when BL contestants are burning massive amounts of calories... would it really matter if they have days where their calories vary by a few hundred?