Men cooking....

Options
onefitdiva
onefitdiva Posts: 331 Member
Just a little rant ...but if there are men who love to cook out there I would love to hear about it! My son (14 yrs. old) is great at cooking and loves to go grocery shopping with me to look for the next thing he can try. Not joking over the weekend he went to the butcher (in our grocery store) got a small crown roast of pork (I know a bit over the top for a non-holiday dinner, but I like to let him run with this stuff, it makes him happy)... anyway he asked me if I thought apples and cranberry with a bread stuffing in the center would be good. I said it sounded good, lets try it, so we got the ingredients and I found a recipe that had our ingredients and added in the rest. He prepared the whole thing with minimal direction from me. It was amazing. Here is my problem, he wants to take a culinary class offered at a local college just for high school students, my husband is having a royal fit. He believes it is "feminine". I think this kind of thinking is archaic and ridiculous. I think there is absolutely nothing wrong with men cooking, loving it and doing well... heck a LOT of the best chefs in the world are men. And honestly I think it just might be the kids gift he definitely has a passion for it, he gets so darn excited when I turn him loose in the kitchen and let him do his thing. He is going to the class btw... I registered him but I was wondering how many male amateur or pro chefs we have around here.

P.S.... Here is the recipe we (he) used and no we did not use the little hats, lol...just cover the ends with foil so they do not burn.
http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/crown-roast-of-pork-with-apple-cranberry-stuffing/1ce5e96d-6a86-435f-9c14-a11a807e3503

Oh...and not exactly low fat friendly. But worth the cheat.

Replies

• AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Watch food network! most of the chefs on chopped and other shows are all men, and manly ones at that!

My husband loves to cook!
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    Its not feminine at all! Good for you for signing him up for the class. Tell your husband to turn on the food network.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    I love to cook,my motto though is always KISS (keep it simple stupid).
    Not counting seasonings if the list of ingredients takes longer to read then the dish takes to eat it is probably not economical to make nor worth the trouble.

I don`t have recipes,just know flavors I like and do trial and error things from that.
    Would be happy to make dinner for any lady and see what they think of it.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Does your husband know that most chefs are men? This could be an amazing career for your son! He clearly has the mind for putting foods together that taste good, so I would run with it! :)
  • Sherie13
    Sherie13 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Some of the top chefs in the world are men... Actually MOST of the top chefs in the world are men. In fact, it's hard for a lot of female chefs out there. My ex was chef. It's actually one of the reasons we started dating... He used to cook for me all of the time. You can tell your husband that it's not feminine in the least.
  • ld40
    ld40 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I love to cook, and do most of the cooking for my family.
  • nml2011
    nml2011 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    My Dad is a chef and I certainly wouldn't call him feminine!

I also like cooking and all the girls I have ever cooked for have been impressed.

If your son wants to be healthy, put on some muscle, look good in clothes and the mirror, impress girls then he wants to be able to cook!

He's not always going to have his Mum or a partner to do it for him!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! I say you help him cultivate that. Feminine? Your husband is living in the stone ages, sorry. Tell him to MAN UP and open his mind and his eyes.
  • twanthe1
    twanthe1 Posts: 407
    Options
    I cook everyday!

lil-b-based-god-o.gif?w=500
  • TheGoblinRoad
    TheGoblinRoad Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of guys cooking, and doing it well. Many guys don't bring up the fact that they cook, for whatever reason. My dad taught me how to cook when I was a kid. I take care of 99% of the meals in my house. Though my wife is an excellent cook, she's a teacher, which means she works 60-70 hours in a week.
  • peteb79
    peteb79 Posts: 386
    Options
    Let him do it, I am not a chef by any means but I make dinner every night in my house and love finding new recipes that my kids actually eat.. I look at it as a challenge because my youngest daughter is the pickiest eater I have ever met.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Have your husband watch Top Chef...lots of men on there! There are lots of male chefs out there...Rick Bayless, Gordon Ramsay (nothing feminine about him!), Bobby Flay, just to name a few.

I'd love to have your son living in my home...I don't let my son cook for fear he'll burn my house down! lol
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    All of the top chefs in the world are men.
  • bill_i_am
    bill_i_am Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    3 years at Culinary school and I love to cook, my wife and kids benefit from this and no one has ever called me feminine.
    Good for him I say!
  • Kohadre
    Kohadre Posts: 316
    Options
    I love to cook, I started around the same age as your son and took a culinary class at a local technical center when I was in high school. I ended up working as a cook for a couple years after I got out of high school, but ended up leaving and going into IT as the stress was a bit much.

As for cooking being feminine, that's just ridiculous.
  • timadotcom
    timadotcom Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    My husband is a chef, he caters from home. I used to be a good cook, but when we got married 5 years ago, he started cooking and grocery shopping and the only contact I have with the stove is when I'm cleaning it. My husband makes a pretty good living doing what he does, so as long as bills are being paid and my stomach is full and he is able to get me pregnant, I'm not too sure what so feminine about this.

I say as long as your son loves it, why the hell not, he will make some woman really happy one day with all his culinary skills:)
  • margieward82
    margieward82 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    The world of professinal chefs/cooking is a heavily male dominated field! It's only with this idea of women and homemakers the cooking has been painted as a feminine role. Tell him to watch Food network and do a little more research :)
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I know you're on my friends list so don't take this personally but your husband is being an idiot and I don't know a better way to phrase that.

Please, encourage your son to pursue this.

Ask your husband if Robert Irvine is feminine and be sure to show him pics.
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I definitely love cooking so your son is not alone. It's actually going to come quite in handy later on in life! I feel bad for those who don't like to cook or even worse can't seem to be able to cook. It's relaxing, enjoyable and satisfying when you cook for others and they appreciate what you've done for them
  • chefkev
    chefkev Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I was the executive chef at the University of Louisville for almost 6 years until I was promoted. You could say I like to cook. Got a culinary degree too! and ServSafe instructor also!