My 5K This is lengthy, but I think it is funny. LOL

St. Patrick's Day Run-A 5K Prediction Run

On Thursday evening I was talking to a friend about a running club which meets every Tuesday. I signed online to their website to review the latest information. Surprise! I found out they had a 5K run this weekend with funds benefiting the Police Department and Boy Scouts of America. However, many would say the run is for the party at the end. :*)

This was always something I wanted to do, so instead of talking about it I decided to do it! I went early Friday morning and signed up for my first 5K!!! (3.1 miles)

Now, I'm not a runner. I describe myself not gazelle like, but much more...Saint Bernard chasing a lint ball-ish at best. I trot, I have no beat, I pant, I gasp. But I have run enough over the past year to get the job done.

I had no clue where to stand, how to pace myself, how to stretch and look like I know what I'm doing, or even how to put my toe scanner on my shoe...zero clue.

I am use to running up and down the road for about an hour as the kids trot, bike, RipStik, or scooter along.

This was called a "Prediction Run" which means you average your last 5 runs, minus the slowest run, add 33 seconds for a 5K, and that's your goal.

Ya umm...

I never really timed myself, so I had other goals in mind.
1. Not to die.
2. Not to be carried off in an ambulance.
3. Not to be run over by the straggler bus.
4. And somewhere in there was to get the really cool shirt!

I put my time down, and lied by several minutes so I wouldn't look like a loser. Oops, who is going to know right?

There were 9,441 runners who showed up for the race.

At 9:00 AM the gun went off...I started with one foot in front of the other. At first I trailed and followed the pace of the firefighters...If anything else, it was a great view. Then I followed a few ladies who had about the same shape and pace as me. I then found myself getting tired at about 1.75 miles into the race. I was NOT going to stop running though. I searched, and breathed, until finally I saw a guy who had a great pace, not too fast, not too slow. He was taking short strides for such a tall guy, but it looked like something I could do. So I stuck behind him like glue. And the race continued...At about 2.75 miles I lost the guy I had been dragging off of for so long. I walked about 30 seconds and then I heard the noise of over 3000 military folks hooting and hollering and doing their chants closing in on me. Yes, I was passed me...but only by some of them...YEY ME!

I glanced over and saw a Marine doing a good pace and thought ya know, I'm NOT going to look like the fat dumpy girl who they beat. So I ran for the finish line!

I ended up placing:

24th out of 362 ladies in my age group
465th out of 9441 total runners
Beat my predicted time by 20.61 seconds

I'm not sure if I should thank the cute fireman, or the Marine. But I had a great time. Overall I flamed past what I had been running at home by almost 5 minutes! WOW!

Now, I am NOT fast at all, but I was happy to use such a scientific method to find my goal. :*)

So at the end of the race I figured I would go let the guy know I appreciated his skill and wow thank him for letting me draft off of him. He told me he had run 50 thousand of these things, and I mentioned it was my first one. He then told me a big congrats and was happy I was able to keep up...

Because he then told me he was a track coach!!!

UGGGG!!! Well, with that I thanked him for his pace and that I actually learned quite a bit. He laughed it off (thankfully). I am sure I broke some sort of runner's protocol. I didn't dare tell him I had learned about the run only two days prior!!!

Anyway...Moral of the story...I'd like to thank all my friends who helped push me along the way to do something for myself, to run, to get healthy, and to do something I hadn't done before. I'm sure this sounds a little odd, but...

Thank You Friends!!!

Replies

• PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    St. Patrick's Day Run-A 5K Prediction Run

On Thursday evening I was talking to a friend about a running club which meets every Tuesday. I signed online to their website to review the latest information. Surprise! I found out they had a 5K run this weekend with funds benefiting the Police Department and Boy Scouts of America. However, many would say the run is for the party at the end. :*)

This was always something I wanted to do, so instead of talking about it I decided to do it! I went early Friday morning and signed up for my first 5K!!! (3.1 miles)

Now, I'm not a runner. I describe myself not gazelle like, but much more...Saint Bernard chasing a lint ball-ish at best. I trot, I have no beat, I pant, I gasp. But I have run enough over the past year to get the job done.

I had no clue where to stand, how to pace myself, how to stretch and look like I know what I'm doing, or even how to put my toe scanner on my shoe...zero clue.

I am use to running up and down the road for about an hour as the kids trot, bike, RipStik, or scooter along.

This was called a "Prediction Run" which means you average your last 5 runs, minus the slowest run, add 33 seconds for a 5K, and that's your goal.

Ya umm...

1. Not to die.

I put my time down, and lied by several minutes so I wouldn't look like a loser. Oops, who is going to know right?

There were 9,441 runners who showed up for the race.

At 9:00 AM the gun went off...I started with one foot in front of the other. At first I trailed and followed the pace of the firefighters...If anything else, it was a great view. Then I followed a few ladies who had about the same shape and pace as me. I then found myself getting tired at about 1.75 miles into the race. I was NOT going to stop running though. I searched, and breathed, until finally I saw a guy who had a great pace, not too fast, not too slow. He was taking short strides for such a tall guy, but it looked like something I could do. So I stuck behind him like glue. And the race continued...At about 2.75 miles I lost the guy I had been dragging off of for so long. I walked about 30 seconds and then I heard the noise of over 3000 military folks hooting and hollering and doing their chants closing in on me. Yes, I was passed me...but only by some of them...YEY ME!

I glanced over and saw a Marine doing a good pace and thought ya know, I'm NOT going to look like the fat dumpy girl who they beat. So I ran for the finish line!

I ended up placing:

24th out of 362 ladies in my age group
    465th out of 9441 total runners
    Beat my predicted time by 20.61 seconds

I'm not sure if I should thank the cute fireman, or the Marine. But I had a great time. Overall I flamed past what I had been running at home by almost 5 minutes! WOW!

Now, I am NOT fast at all, but I was happy to use such a scientific method to find my goal. :*)

So at the end of the race I figured I would go let the guy know I appreciated his skill and wow thank him for letting me draft off of him. He told me he had run 50 thousand of these things, and I mentioned it was my first one. He then told me a big congrats and was happy I was able to keep up...

Because he then told me he was a track coach!!!

UGGGG!!! Well, with that I thanked him for his pace and that I actually learned quite a bit. He laughed it off (thankfully). I am sure I broke some sort of runner's protocol. I didn't dare tell him I had learned about the run only two days prior!!!

Anyway...Moral of the story...I'd like to thank all my friends who helped push me along the way to do something for myself, to run, to get healthy, and to do something I hadn't done before. I'm sure this sounds a little odd, but...

Thank You Friends!!!
  • tracy24
    tracy24 Posts: 188
    great story !!! :laugh:
  • cediyam
    cediyam Posts: 181 Member
    Good job! Hmm.. maybe I should sign up for one.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member

1. Not to die.

roflmao. Those are my goals if I have the guts to do a 5K this summer (I just started doing longer stretches of fast jogging.):tongue:

Good on you being so brave. . .and doing so well!
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    YAY!!!!!! That is so great! I remember my first 5K, then I was totally hooked on races! I can always run much faster, it's amazing what the adrenaline and seeing other people around you will do to push you on! Great job. So when's the next one? :laugh:
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Princess-- you have no idea how much I really needed to read this.

First, you're account of your day is hilarious-- I love how you write.

BUT, I just decided two days ago to sign up for a 5k in my town to support our local high school-- see my signature. I ran three miles the other day and nearly fainted in shock that I managed it and didn't totally pass out afterwards-- actually, I felt good.

Thanks for this encouraging tale-- your finish was awesome. I don't know if my finish will be as strong, but I'll see what I can do--
  • PrincessLaundry
    Ya'll are my inspiration and thanks for the gold star of encouragement and smiles tonight! I love being able to share here...THANKS! And to those who are doing a run soon, you can so do it! I did! YEY!

I have no clue when to sign up for my next run, it might be for next year's Saint Patrick's Day...who knows...But wow...I LOVE my new shirt! LOL :love:
  • lgochya
    lgochya Posts: 39
    Oh Princess, I am still giggling at the accounts of your triumpf!!! Way to go, you may have just inspired me to do the same, come this fall, I believe I will be ready!! I won't have any more of a clue than you did! Thanks for the laugh and INSPIRATION!!! Lisa
  • staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    good for you! and thanks for sharing the story--you made me laugh.
  • johnblake
    johnblake Posts: 661
    1. Not to die.

I have these goals along with a drink of water

Good job
  • Great Job!! I ran my first 5k in December. It was wonderful. I was like you, not sure what to do but I survived it and took almost 2 minutes off my time. Good luck on your next run. :smile
  • PrincessLaundry
    Oh Princess, I am still giggling at the accounts of your triumpf!!! Way to go, you may have just inspired me to do the same, come this fall, I believe I will be ready!! I won't have any more of a clue than you did! Thanks for the laugh and INSPIRATION!!! Lisa

Ya, I was SOOOO not ready...But then I signed up and thought, "Ready for what?" LOL You can do it!
  • PrincessLaundry
    1. Not to die.

I have these goals along with a drink of water

Good job

OMG I never thought about drinking water??? I didn't want to have to add time onto the clock for a tinkle break. I saw a few people doing that and I'm like, who wants to drag that extra weight, it is only 3.1 miles for gracious sakes! Then I got to the end and started climbing over 9441 people for ANYTHING to drink. LOL

Seriously, I did read somewhere to REALLY force water for several days prior to your run so you can go a little bit less right before you start your run. Anyway...YEY! To whoever is going to do a run, or has in the past. This was a GREAT experience for me to feel good about my goals thus far.
  • PrincessLaundry
    Great Job!! I ran my first 5k in December. It was wonderful. I was like you, not sure what to do but I survived it and took almost 2 minutes off my time. Good luck on your next run. :smile

You too! YEY YOU!
  • MisoSoup79
    MisoSoup79 Posts: 517
    Now, I'm not a runner. I describe myself not gazelle like, but much more...Saint Bernard chasing a lint ball-ish at best. I trot, I have no beat, I pant, I gasp.

LOL! Yeah, I think I'd describe myself somewhere along those lines! :laugh:

ROCK ON! AWESOME JOB and an inspiration!
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    I'm so jealous - :love: Firemen and Marines:grumble: - My first 5K was full of skinny runner dudes (no offense to all you skinny runner dudes but if I weigh more than you - you're just not my type:wink: )

My son and daughter are getting ready to start the Couch to 5K program so that we can do our local 5K in June together as a family. I think we'll use your goals as a guideline for our training.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    (no offense to all you skinny runner dudes but if I weigh more than you - you're just not my type:wink: )

LOL-- so true!!! You crack me up.:laugh:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    I'm so jealous - :love: Firemen and Marines

I wanna sign up for the Fireman and Marines 5k. Where is THAT one held? :love:
    :laugh: I've not run a 5k before, and I barely trot for 3 minutes before getting tuckered out but one day I plan to participate.
  • johnblake
    johnblake Posts: 661
    hay what about the Navy
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    hay what about the Navy

Hay, Navy men have the sexiest dress uniforms of them all!