What are people doing: Counting calories or counting carbs?

Options
I was just wondering if people find it easier to count calories or count carbs. I have been going between the 2 and as a result have not lost any weight.

Replies

• runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I count my calories and watch my sodium.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I count carbs. Allows me to lose weight on 5,500 calories of steak and broccoli per day.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Why do you have it narrowed down to these 2 categories. You can do both if you're on a carb restricted diet but the calories are a must for most really.
  • scott091501
    Options
    I count carbs. Allows me to lose weight on 5,500 calories of steak and broccoli per day.

Keto?
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    i don't count just dropped wheat and low carb and try to burn at least 500 extra calories a day. I've lost 34lbs
  • scott091501
    Options
    Why do you have it narrowed down to these 2 categories. You can do both if you're on a carb restricted diet but the calories are a must really.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I count both. 1400 cal. and 150 carbs.
  • Maggie_Pie1
    Maggie_Pie1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I count calories, but I also try to get a 40/30/30 split between carbs/protein/fat.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Both

I count calories while keeping my carb intake around 40%.
    Works for me.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I count calories and eat a well balanced diet. Carbs aren't bad...everything in moderation.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options

Keto?

lol
  • tinalatina
    tinalatina Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    ummmm....for the most part I just monitor my calories using the MFP diary. How do you do it?? I cant do Carb counting...Id always go over.
  • Jipples
    Jipples Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Personally, calories. For weight loss, I believe it's all about calories in/calories out.
  • candie33
    candie33 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Well I guess I don't know how to balance the two. So I am trying to learn from peopl who have this down packed. I find myself wanting to munch all the time.
  • JujiBean
    JujiBean Posts: 187
    Options
    I count Carbs only.

In my opinion it's the only way to live and enjoy your food! Lobster, steak, chicken, snow peas, wine, fats (in small amounts) strawberries....Yummmmm
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Primarily calories, but within that try to keep under 100g carbs, and over 100g protein. But they're rough aspirations, doesn't matter too much if I don't meet them.
  • nikolaim5
    nikolaim5 Posts: 233
    Options
    Protein, then calories.
  • LiveEnjoyEndure
    LiveEnjoyEndure Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I count calories, but I also try to get a 40/30/30 split between carbs/protein/fat.

^^^ that's a lot of protein!
  • aNEWuNme
    Options
    Ultimately, weight loss is about consuming less calories and moving more. But I think eating less carbs can help you lose weight quicker. On the other hand, low-carb dieting is very difficult to maintain for long (impossible for me!), and most people who low-carb diet gain weight back. Not to mention, if you're not a huge meat-eater, low-carb is super hard to do maintain because that's a big part of the diet. Find the diet that you can maintain for a lifetime. It'll take some time and effort and trial and error, but you can do it!
  • badbull69
    badbull69 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    ummmm....for the most part I just monitor my calories using the MFP diary. How do you do it?? I cant do Carb counting...Id always go over.

Both, I guess. I have set number of carbs I wanna hit, so I keep an eye on that. I come close to my calorie count. And If Im not close to it. I will eat some extra good fats ( nuts and protein at night).