What are people doing: Counting calories or counting carbs?

Options

Replies

• Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Carbs for sure here
  • nikolaim5
    nikolaim5 Posts: 233
    Options
    I count calories, but I also try to get a 40/30/30 split between carbs/protein/fat.

^^^ that's a lot of protein!

Not really, I do 35% protein. 1g of protein per lb of body weight is considered the minimum for bodybuilding purposes.
  • _David_
    _David_ Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I count carbs, try to stay under 50-60 a day at the most and sugar as low as possible.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I count calories, and try to eat a lot of protein. Every now and then I look at the numbers of the stuff I track....but ultimately it's just calories that I care about.
  • Natural
    Natural Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    i count calories first. the carbs i watch, but i'm burning those suckers!
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I keep my calories close to goal and eat lots of protein so I don't feel hungry all day. I don't really care much about carbs, except that they are delicious. :-)
  • skstogsdill
    Options
    Only thing I count is calories, however, I make sure protein is in every meal/snack I have.

I do not eat any SIMPLE carbs except for the simple sugars that are naturally found in vegetables, dairy and nuts.

I eat oatmeal, whole grain breads, whole grain wheat pasta, whole grain rice, and meal replacement protein powder that has complex carbs in it. But I only allow myself any two from this list a day. No, I do not count carbs. Only the number of times a day I have them. And make sure they're paired with protein when I do have them.
  • Mrsjenningsjr
    Mrsjenningsjr Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm counting calories, carbs and sugar...
  • artcaro1972
    Options
    calories

I'd say it depends what you're doing -- losing, maintaining, building -- and if you're working out like a fiend.

At 1290/day I can't afford any refined carbs. If I indulged I wouldn't get the nutrition I need. I work in a half-cup of good carbs like lentils and quinoa at least every couple days and I eat a ton of vegetables. Some fruit. My only treat is a glass of wine once or twice a week.
  • melissanne81
    Options
    Only calories. I try not to overdo it with sugar and carbs but as long as I'm within my calorie goal for the day, I don't really worry about it. It's much less stressful for me.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    I count the hours.....nothing after 6
  • ibitezombies
    Options
    This is something that I'm interested in hearing peoples opinions on. I'm coming from from doing Weight Watchers where it was a very simple points system (all food has a point value except fruits and veg which have zero points). There's no carbs etc to worry about.

Now coming to MFP it's all very overwhelming with different amounts of calories and carbs etc.

I'll be trying to stick to my recommended percentages, but we'll have to see how it goes!
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Pretty much calories only. I have a problem getting enough protein, so do try to track that...............whatever I'm doin' seems to be working!
  • chriscoates7025
    chriscoates7025 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I count calories only. If I try to wory about any other catagories it gets too confusing
  • lorigreg
    Options
    I agree with you Lizzie. Everything in moderation. I'm counting calories too.
  • lorigreg
    Options
    I agree with you. I think if you try to watch everything, then it is stressful and you will end up quitting. Calories only for me.
  • nnapieralski
    nnapieralski Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I count both and try to keep my carbs under 70. It's actually pretty easy if you plan ahead and get creative.
  • TriedEverything
    TriedEverything Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I must admit, I really only pay attention to the calories - but as I've not lost much weigh yet since joining MFP, I am not a great advertisement for this at the moment! :ohwell: But calorie counting has worked really well for me in the past. And I think it will work again, as long as I can stop myself going off the rails, like I just did at Christmas! :blushing:

Having said that - although I don't actually count carbs as such, I usually try to avoid having, say, bread at breakfast, and again at lunch (doesn't always work out like that though). But I think it's best to keep things simple, especially if you're fairly new to it all. Anyway, good luck, whichever way you decide to proceed! :smile:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I do both sort of-- calories are my first priority but now that I'm good at hitting my calorie goal I've started watching my macros as well.
  • mcdonl
    mcdonl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Calories in Calories out...

That being said none of them come from pastries, sweets, candy, etc...

I also eat only high fiber, multi grain breads and pastas but those are limited to.

I did the 5000 calories of steak and brocolli for almost a decade with a lot of success, but by that I mean I didnt gain weight... which in this day and age is important... but in my 40's now... I needed to watch calories and change up my workouts.