Not showering after the gym?

Options
Gross, I know. I have a small gap between classes, and I really want to get a workout in at my school's gym. I can't go after my last class, because it gets dark and I have to wait on the bus in downtown Atlanta... yeah, not happening in the dark.

I sweat a lot when I exercise, but I've never been told that I smell. If I make sure to change, reapply deodorant, and spray some body spray, do you think it'll be acceptable for me to go to an hour long class? Would it be too offensive?

Replies

• KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Just bring some baby wipes and something that you can do your hair up in - I'm sure people show up in worse shape!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it if you don't get stinky.
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    You need to keep your "woo hoo" dry. I did that when I was in college and ended up at the doctor. Heat and sweat make a great breading ground for bacteria. I am a huge sweater. I also ended up with backne from it, so now I shower immediatly after exercise.
  • Sister_Someone
    Sister_Someone Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I don't know... Even if you did smell, most people probably wouldn't say it out loud. Also, sweat becomes more smelly as time passes. Depending on how short that break really is, I'd just learn to shower really quick.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    You might find you end up with something like Athlete's Foot if you don't shower afterwards.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I've gone straight to choir rehearsal and such just after a workout, you'd be surprised what a quick wipe down and deodorant application and a fresh t-shirt can do. Don't worry... just wash when you get home! Keep working hard... it's so great for you!
  • wannabesexymama
    wannabesexymama Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    when my sister was in Nursing school she barely had time to shower between work and class so she carried baby wipes and used them often! I think what your already doing and then wipes you should be good,, Like what Khipson said some people show up to class in worse shape!!!
  • rollycollysmama
    Options
    I agree, babywipes, deodorant, and body spray, change out of your gym clothes I always change my panties and socks too. I dont like showering at my gym because its full of really fit skinny women and Im a cow so I just run in the changing room and change everything Lol. They do offer privite showers but than all my clothes get wet, anyway Lol. GOOD LUCK I think youll be fine!
  • akninsas
    akninsas Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I work out on my lunch breaks at work a couple times a week and on Monday nights between work and my night class. I change all of my clothes including undergarments and I keep a supply of wipes, baby powder, and deodorant in my gym bag. Ive never had any issue.
  • Showgirlbody
    Showgirlbody Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I go run errands and stuff right after the gym all the time. Sweat doesn't smell, it's the bacteria that accumulates from a moist environment but it would take longer than an hour. I think if your shirt is visibly soaked through and hair damp in the obvious sweaty way, it could look gross. But put on a sweatshirt and air out your hair, splash some cold water on your face...good to go. And the baby wipes are good, too
  • LittleMissAngi
    LittleMissAngi Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Yes baby wipes!
  • sweet110
    sweet110 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Its the sweat that smells (well, the bacteria eating the sweat). So just change clothes and mop yourself off. I've done it a million times and never had a problem. The only time I did have a problem was the *one* time I left the *clothes* on. After a couple of hours...I stunk! Never did THAT again.
  • KTKTP
    KTKTP Posts: 22
    Options
    I totally worked out between classes in college, nobody notices because if you really look at everybody else most of them are in sweats or pjs or have clearly not washed their hair lately. (Or they are hippies) So I say don't worry about it! Just rinse off your face and go to class.
  • KittyMul
    KittyMul Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    If you don't smell, I wouldn't worry about it. I'm not a smelly person (and I don't mean that rudely, I just don't get BO!), so I don't worry about running errands or going to class after the gym. If you're worried, just spray on some extra deodorant and bring a hoodie or something that you can throw on over the top.
  • imalikat2
    imalikat2 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I go the gym at lunch a lot and then back to work. Never had any problem or comments from my co-workers and I work in a small office. I do, however, change out of everything into my workout clothes, bras, panties, etc. so I can sweat; then when I'm done, I wipe down with wet wipes and/or wet towel and change back into my work clothes; keep lavendar baby powder and deodorant in my bag and it all seems to work well. On the weekends, after my Saturday morning latin heat class, depending upon what needs to be done, I often just run my errands straight from the gym. I know I look a mess, but I feel good cuz I worked out!
  • catherine4211
    catherine4211 Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I agree, babywipes, deodorant, and body spray, change out of your gym clothes I always change my panties and socks too. I dont like showering at my gym because its full of really fit skinny women and Im a cow so I just run in the changing room and change everything Lol. They do offer privite showers but than all my clothes get wet, anyway Lol. GOOD LUCK I think youll be fine!

You are NOT a cow!!
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Camping supply places carry specialty wipes that do a little better than baby wipes (but then again, they're a little more expensive). I'm just outside Atlanta and you can go to any ****'s sporting goods to get them.

EDIT: Well evidently I can't name the sporting goods store due to the fact its a name for the male anatomy...also a nickname for Richard.
  • no_worries
    no_worries Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I second the whole baby wipes. A nice rub down should be good
  • swimmchick87
    swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I've never showered after exercising unless I was going to a social event or something...I do sweat but I'm not drenched or anything
  • jenlb99
    jenlb99 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I know Lululemon makes pants and tops with silverescent fabric; basically, the fabric contains silver which inhibits bacteria growth -- like a built-in deodorant!

They are a bit more pricey ($120 for pants here in Canada), but if you're at the gym often, it's worth investing in. I will be when I've dropped a size or two; I sweat like a pig when I work out!