OATMEAL IDEAS!!! to you lovers out there...

Options
hey guys, i have oatmeal pretty much every morning (unless theres none left like today!) i'm in love with it!
i usually add some peanut butter, and/or honey...

what do you put on yours?! would love to hear some recommendations! always keen to try new things, and you cant go too far wrong with oatmeal, the stuff is amazing!!

Replies

• NCShar
    NCShar Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi there! this is my first post ever on MFP. I too love oatmeal. I'll measure 1/2 cup into a tupperware along with some cinnamon, a pinch of salt and a teaspoon of brown sugar. When I get to work, I add water and microwave it at 50% power for 1 1/2 minutes. Instant hot breakfast! I sometimes add a handful of fresh blueberries, a sliced banana, chopped up dates... yummy.
  • jessicaaa456
    jessicaaa456 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    sounds yum... i microwave mine first, then add the toppings. should i be heating them up all together?
  • Ashleym090297
    Options
    I eat oatmeal like everyday too! Haha,
    These are my two favorite ways to make it.

1 tbs. brown sugar.
    1/4 cup dried cranberries.

1 tbs. brown sugar.
    1 tbs. white chocolate carmel coffee creamer.
    ^^ sounds weird, but it honestly tastes like you're eating a candy bar!<3
  • Ashleym090297
    Options
    and it doesn't really matter what way you do it.
    sometimes when you do add the items, then microwave. it loses it's flavor.
  • Selyan
    Selyan Posts: 51
    Options
    Things I add in oatmeal (ofcourse not everything every time, but lot's of it goes well together): Jam, cottage cheese, almond butter, butter, cinnamon, brown sugar, milk, yogurt (usually vanilla), banana, nuts (almonds mostly), berries, apples .. Or sometimes just plain oatmeal.
  • Selyan
    Selyan Posts: 51
    Options
    and it doesn't really matter what way you do it.
    sometimes when you do add the items, then microwave. it loses it's flavor.

Usually I make the oatmeal first and then add things.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    I love it sweet, but I also recently started eating it with savory things! This morning I made it with mushrooms garlic and salt. It was to die for!
  • MarileeP
    MarileeP Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My DH and I eat it every weekday morning - we put apples, nutmeg and maple syrup. I also like it with craisins, pecans & maple syrup. If you haven't tried steel cut oats I heartily recommend them. Take longer to cook but really tasty. You can make a big batch over the weekend and then microwave during the week.
  • mjsmith1223
    Options
    Steel cut oats are the way to go. The night before I boil 6 cups of water, then add 1.5 cups of dry steel cut oats. Let it return to a boil and then cook for a minute or two. Remove from heat and slap a lid on the pan. Then I let it sit on the back of the stove until the next morning. When I get up, they are perfect. Microwave for a minute or two to warm them up. We put the leftovers in the fridge for the next day. A batch like that lasts my wife and I 2-3 days.

My favorite toppers (not all at once): bananas, blueberries, dried cherries, brown sugar, peanut butter, chocolate chips, real maple syrup, molasses, chopped pecans, chopped walnuts, apples, honey, jam, cinnamon.

For savory I cook the oatmeal in chicken broth and then I might add some chopped roasted chicken breast and/or poached eggs.
  • Jessica121706
    Options

1 tbs. brown sugar.
    1 tbs. white chocolate carmel coffee creamer.
    ^^ sounds weird, but it honestly tastes like you're eating a candy bar!<3

Really, coffee creamer that is genius! i always add a little milk since it makes it creamier I can't wait to try this :)
  • piccolarj
    piccolarj Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    OATMEAL BARS
    2 cups old fashion oats
    1 snack size box of raisins
    1 cup Kashi Go Lean cereal
    1 square Ghiradelli Intense dark Midnight chocolate chopped
    1 1/2 cups sweetened almond milk
    cinnamon

Mix together in a bowl. Put into a 6x6 pan and bake at 350 for 25-30 mins.
    Makes 9 bars
    126 calories each

I ususally put these in the fridge and pop in the microwave for 30 seconds in the morning.
  • knapowell
    knapowell Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal, but don't always have time to fix it getting everyone out of the house on time. I found a baked oatmeal recipe on Pinterest that I modified and tried last weekend, and I loved it. I ate on that all week, I could heat it up in a bowl with a little milk if I was home with time, or eat it on the run since it is kind of cake-like. It had bananas, strawberries, pecans and semi-sweet chocolate chips (something I thought I wouldn't like, but how stupid was that). I am going to make some this week with bananas, blueberries and chocolate chips. Oh, and it had Chinese 5 spice, which I cut to 1/4 tsp. It gave it a really interesting flavor.
  • lilsassymom
    lilsassymom Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Apple Pie Oatmeal. I also add some Craisins to it too for a different texture:bigsmile: . It makes a lot and keeps me full til lunch.
    http://www.familyfeedbag.com/2011/04/apple-pie-oatmeal.html
  • For_the_Last_Time
    For_the_Last_Time Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Someone posted on another thread a "carrot cake oatmeal". Not sure if I did it the same or not .....just said I will have to try it but shredded carrots, raisins, vanilla, stevia for sweetner, cinnamon i did a few almond slivers as well. It was so good and all said and done 255 cals for a huge portion.
  • jessicaaa456
    jessicaaa456 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    OATMEAL BARS
    2 cups old fashion oats
    cinnamon

Makes 9 bars
    126 calories each

I ususally put these in the fridge and pop in the microwave for 30 seconds in the morning.

sounds amazing! will try this
  • kag1526
    kag1526 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I did green apples and cinnamon this morning.

Normally I do walnuts, almonds, and honey.
  • Ytrid
    Ytrid Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Im in love with the Lavish dark chocolate oatmeal with flax seed... YUMMM
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I like to toss some raisins in mine.
  • learningtolove
    learningtolove Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    sometimes when I have a sweet tooth I make "smore oatmeal" a few marshmellows,a teaspoon of cocoa powder and optional graham crackers.
  • cassidygrooms
    Options
    OATMEAL BARS
    2 cups old fashion oats
    cinnamon

Makes 9 bars
    126 calories each

Brilliant!!! Thanks for this!!