Losing It and Your Partner

Options
So this is my first thread topic. I've been on here since right around Christmas, and I have lost 5lbs on here and 7lbs altogether. I'm pretty excited about that! When I got on the scale this morning I was so excited I woke my boyfriend up just to tell him.

The best part is, later he says, if I keep losing weight, he will start working out too! Yay!
Now, he isn't that heavy. He is skinny, but he has such NICE arms! But just a tiny bit of pudge in his belly since, which he blames on my cooking. :blushing: So, I am very excited to see him try working out too. When he is ready of course.

I just feel good knowing that my effort may be an inspiration for him. :heart:

Anyone else have similar stories about inspiring their partners, family, or friends to get healthy?

Replies

• lostsanity137
    lostsanity137 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Bump?

I know someone out there has to be inspiring someone! Because you guys are awesome!
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying that my losing weight inspired Bear to start working on his...but it does allow me to be of significant moral support during his journey as well. It's easier doing it as a team. :smile:
  • lostsanity137
    Options
    I think working out is so much more fun with someone else. You can cheer each other on to keep going when you may just stop out of boredom on your own. :)
  • Amalthia79
    Options
    This exact thing is happening to me with my Husband! He has always been then but since we have been together he has gained a bit of a belly. So now he is helping me shop for healthier foods and has promised to start getting up early to work out with me! Got to love the support!!!!
  • jmuhnie
    jmuhnie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I joined early last year, failed a few times but have now begun to progress well with mfp. My wife said she would start counting her calories as well last month so I downloaded the app for her phone and now she helps out with the meal planning. It has made it so much easier to stay on target now that we are both onboard. Congrats for leading by example.
  • heartransplants
    Options
    I am trying to get my boyfriend to start working out again! He was so fit when I first met him... He is still pretty lean, but I am starting to notice. I have gained about 5 pounds since we have been together, and though that may not seem like a lot, on a 5' girl it feels like a mountain. It's so much easier to make the time to work out with a partner, so I am hoping that all my nagging will pay off... Good luck!
  • Kittie_Kat
    Options
    My boyfriend is a bigger dude and he goes with me to the gym and does cardio with me every-time I go, which is awesome..but he still eats whatever he wants!! grrr...the last time we did this he lost weight ...its like what?? lol anyways I know what you mean, it's nice to have a partner who at least tries or wants to :)
  • Leah_Vaughn
    Leah_Vaughn Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend nathan and i are doing it together :)
    The teamwork is great at the gym and having another healthy eater around makes eating out less sinful ;)
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    My husband is such a lazy butt!! He is thin (5'8 and 135ish lb) but is on his feet 10-12 hrs a day 5 days a week at work. He is purely exhausted when he gets home.. I do wish he would do SOMETHING with me but I do understand why he doesn't. Everyday Monday thru Friday he is up between 3 and 4:30am to go to work. The last thing he wants to do is exercise. He wants to change, eat supper and veg out lol.
  • medwards89
    medwards89 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    My husband is fairly overweight and I WISH I could get him on board. I've lost around 85lbs in the last 18 months and have taken up running. He started running and MFP and just fell off the wagon and doesn't seem to care. Eh....I've come so far on my own and while I'm frustrated by him, I've got a 1 year old son that needs a good example.

Keep it up girl!
  • Shari_B_66
    Options
    Even though he doesn't need to lose much weight, my husband has been doing the Jillian 6 week abs with me for the past three weeks. Then my 9 and 14 year old daughter started joining in just to accept the challenge (both 6 weeks abs and 30DS). They don't do it as consistently as I do, but I sure appreciate the moral support when they do join me!
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    My hubby is nicely built (I think) and doesn't need to lose any weight, but it wouldn't hurt for him to tone up a bit. He does have a little bit of a belly. I've been on him for years to eat healthier and exercise for his health (I'd like to keep him off blood pressure and diabetes medicine, which runs in his family). He'll eat healthy as long as I fix it for him or pack him a lunch. ;-)
    He's always seemed impressed with my martial arts workouts, but it hasn't really been anything that he's wanted to join himself.
    But recently, we got side-by-side on the floor to do pushups, and I could do more than him. That got his attention, lol. He's now doing them more regularly. He's joined in on a few of my dumbbell routines as well, which has spurred him into trying to put together a weight routine of his own. And he is signed up for his first race ever in March (he'll start with a 5K.)
    Y'all don't know how glad this makes me! I love the energy that working out gives me, and I can definitely see a spring in his step on the days that he goes for a run or picks up the weights. I just want him to feel good!
  • lostsanity137
    Options
    I joined early last year, failed a few times but have now begun to progress well with mfp. My wife said she would start counting her calories as well last month so I downloaded the app for her phone and now she helps out with the meal planning. It has made it so much easier to stay on target now that we are both onboard. Congrats for leading by example.

Oh I wish he would be more interested in eating healthy! He has just shown an interest in working out, but he is so stubborn about what he eats! Let's just say most of the stuff he likes, is NOT very good for me. ;) lolol
  • lostsanity137
    Options
    That's my boyfriend. He works his butt off all day and comes and just wants to sit down and eat. I suppose the job is why he is so in shape, the only "problem area" is his little belly (that you can't even notice when he has a shirt on.) I suppose he is interested in trying to get a "ripped" tummy, now that he see that I can do it. If I can do, then he can do it too. At least on his days off. :)
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    My wife is in peak condition and has always been.
    When I was fat, she disclosed that I was unattractive to her - OUCH!

That got me off and running to get fit.
    It's been a long, hard journey, but all is well today, and I am thankful for her honesty.
  • brookepenni
    brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    yep - happened to me. I started 2 weeks before my partner - he just couldnt believe the change in my after just 2 weeks he decided he could do it too. We've lost 45kgs between us - and our dogs have lost 5kgs too - our house is so much healthier and active now!!
  • Cassi1990
    Cassi1990 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is the one doing the inspiring I guess.He's losing weight like crazy and hes not even trying. He doesnt work out at all. But he has been working his a** off at his job usually 10-12 hours a day 5-6 days a week. im sure he is easily burning off the meals he does have time to squeeze in.

My daughter asks me all the time how many calories/sugar/fat/etc something has in it and she will decide if she wants to eat it or not. She asks if that amount of cals/etc is "healthy" or not. I'm trying to steer her away from this though because Im noticing she is talking bout needing to lose weight and that shes "fat". I think I need to start watching how I talk about nmy self in front of her.

I dont want my 4 year old thinking she is fat. especially when she is very healthy, tall, and quite skinny actually. so i guess ive inspired her in a way. shes learning good sugars from bad and what not. but its kinda also going to her head! :-/
  • stonejoan
    Options
    Me and my boyfriend have always been complete opposites...He could never put weight on, and I just never got weight off. But over the summer we decided to change things...he wanted to work out and gain weight, I wanted to lose. Initially he just worked out at home with his weight bench and things, while I went out for walks, but then we both joined the gym and went at seperate times. I was imbarrassed at first to go with him, because truthfully, I was bored at the gym, and didn't feel like I was doing much of anything in the begining. But then, we started going together, and I found that I wanted to make him proud of me, so I worked hard at pushing myself as hard as I can at the gym. Now we have other family members who go with us as well, and it makes the gym much more fun for everyone. I know some nights we are there for three hours at least!

What I love now though, is that I look forward to going to the gym, and that we have fun. I have no doubts now that I can stick to this, and that I will reach my goal weight in hopefully a year. The only thing I can compare this feeling to, is when I quit smoking, and I got past that point where I realized I was finally really finished with smoking, and that I was happy with it. It is a great feeling though :)

13673902.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • gatecityradio
    Options
    My girlfriend showed me the android app for this site, if that counts? haha, Now we are both dieting.
  • TMasticTB
    TMasticTB Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    My fiancee has been here for nearly two years, and I joined back in November. Combined we have lost around 60 pounds or so, but now that I'm fully invested in a healthier lifestyle like she is, I'm sure it is 10000% easier for her. I do feel bad for not being any real support in years past, but trying to make that up now. Not just for me, but for her and (later on down the road) the family we plan on having. Easily one of the best decisions of my life to join this site.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!