HRM Cals Burned - Fitness experts advice please!

Options
Hey guys, just some advice really.

I am using my new HRM for a few weeks now (Which I love!!)

I am basically taking the total calories on the display, dividing it by the total mins it has been recording my efforts and then multiplying this number by the actually amount of mins I was in the Target heart rate (cardio / fatburing zone).

e.g. 60 mins work out, 400 cals. In target HR for 45 mins = 300cals burned in reality.

Is this giving me the most accurate reading?

Thanks peeps

Replies

• kirstiey
    kirstiey Posts: 243
    Options
    No experts, there are usually loads of them on here LOL
  • kirstiey
    Options
    BUMP
  • kirstiey
    Options
    mmmmmm
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    What you are doing makes no sense.

If you HRM has a chest strap, then it should be taking into consideration all heart rates.. Be it if you were in the fat burning/cardio zone, under that zone or about that zone.

You burn fat and calories no matter where the heart rate is.. so doing this seems kinda of silly.
  • kirstiey
    Options
    No You don't understand what I mean.

I know I burn cals whatever the heart rate is (this is my BMR) but I account for these in my daily activity. If I wore the HRM whilst sleeping it would show cals burned and I don't want to log these as exercise either do i?

I only want to log the EXTRA cals I burned through proper exercise.

Thanks for your constructive comments though......
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

I know I burn cals whatever the heart rate is (this is my BMR) but I account for these in my daily activity. If I wore the HRM whilst sleeping it would show cals burned and I don't want to log these as exercise either do i?

So what you want to be doing is taking your BMR dividing by 24 to figure out how much you burn an hour and then divide by 60 to figure out how much you burn a minute. Take that number times how long you worked out and then subtract that from the calories it gives you.

I think this is what you want.

Personally I don't see a point in doing this... I never do it and have lost weight just fine.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

The HRM is only good for calorie burning during exercises. It's ability to record calories burned during sleep for instance are not accurate in the slightest.

and registering calories burned during sleep is not meant to be logged as "exercise" no, neither is the other 16 odd hours in the day whereby you just move around in your day to day business - these particular calories are what is included in your daily calorie allotment that you are given in your diary at the beginning of the day.. If your settings are logged as "sedentary" the only exercise you should log is that over and above your normal day to day living.
  • kirstiey
    Options
    December child can you read the Orig post. You are out of context.

That is exactly what I am saying, which is why I ONLY want to log the amount of cals burned on the target Zone, not the general ones the HRM is logging whilst my heart is beating generally in warm up and cool downs.

Thanks again for all comments but please respond to the question, not the comments after it. :flowerforyou:
  • ItsANewMe2012
    Options
    [/quote]

So what you want to be doing is taking your BMR dividing by 24 to figure out how much you burn an hour and then divide by 60 to figure out how much you burn a minute. Take that number times how long you worked out and then subtract that from the calories it gives you.

[/quote]

This^^

Kirstiey - Its the BACKGROUND CALORIES which I believe you mean. I use a HRM during exercise too and I do deduct the background calories from my total calorie burn,as I don't want to be eating calories which have already been accounted for in my daily calorie goal. :smile:
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    There is no target zone, so forget trying to partition the calories burned that way. Target Zone is just a marketing tool. You do burn more fat calories at ~60% of max HR but you burn more total fat at higher HR.

So, you are over complicating things.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    You are way over thinking things. You go to the gym, you get on the elliptical, and hit the start button on your HRM and begin your workout an hour later (or whatever) and when your finished you hit the stop button on your HRM and when you get home you log your exercise calories into your MFP diary and it will add those calories into your caloric intake. (Which I eat every bit of my exercise calories back because your deficit to lose 1/2, 1, 2 lbs. is already built into your MFP loss projections for the week...) It really isn't any harder than that... Unless I am totally missing something......... ???

You are constantly burning calories while you are exercising only difference is what target HR zone you are working out in, but your calories burned are just that calories burned. The only difference is if you are burning more calories from fat stores in a lower zone (say zone 1 which is 40-50% of your max HR) or burning pure carbohydrates in an anaerobic zone ( say zone 4 which is exercising at 80-90% of your max HR)
  • kirstiey
    Options

[/quote]

This^^

Kirstiey - Its the BACKGROUND CALORIES which I believe you mean. I use a HRM during exercise too and I do deduct the background calories from my total calorie burn,as I don't want to be eating calories which have already been accounted for in my daily calorie goal. :smile:
    [/quote]

Yeah that's what I meant! xxxx standing around in gym burns cals but I don't want to count them and eat them, as I already have accounted for "standing around" in my activity level to create my deficit for weightloss, using the method above. I don't think I am over complicating things, I am just trying to be accurate.

Thanks all x
  • liftingbro
    Options
    Yeah that's what I meant! xxxx standing around in gym burns cals but I don't want to count them and eat them, as I already have accounted for "standing around" in my activity level to create my deficit for weightloss, using the method above. I don't think I am over complicating things, I am just trying to be accurate.

Thanks all x

Most HRMs have a "pause" function. So if for some reason you stop exercising to stand around in the gym then just pause the workout and start it again when you get back on the machine.
  • kirstiey
    Options
    Before everyone goes mental, I DO turn off the HRM between classes, by "standing around" I mean low impact stuff cool down warm up etc.

I think I will carry on doing it this way, unless my body tells me otherwise.

Thanks again for all the comments
  • kirstiey
    Options
    See I KNEW someone would jump on that! :laugh:
  • liftingbro
    Options
    Before everyone goes mental, I DO turn off the HRM between classes, by "standing around" I mean low impact stuff cool down warm up etc.

I think I will carry on doing it this way, unless my body tells me otherwise.

Thanks again for all the comments
    Do what you want but the entire idea is silly.
  • kirstiey
    Options
    In classes you are at the mercy of the instructor, I don't do machines, that's the main reason I am asking this. If I paused every time I wasn't jumping around, I'd have repetitive strain injury in my finger from button pressing....it might burn an extra cal or two though :laugh:
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    You are way over thinking things. You go to the gym, you get on the elliptical, and hit the start button on your HRM and begin your workout an hour later (or whatever) and when your finished you hit the stop button on your HRM and when you get home you log your exercise calories into your MFP diary and it will add those calories into your caloric intake. (Which I eat every bit of my exercise calories back because your deficit to lose 1/2, 1, 2 lbs. is already built into your MFP loss projections for the week...) It really isn't any harder than that... Unless I am totally missing something......... ???

You are constantly burning calories while you are exercising only difference is what target HR zone you are working out in, but your calories burned are just that calories burned. The only difference is if you are burning more calories from fat stores in a lower zone (say zone 1 which is 40-50% of your max HR) or burning pure carbohydrates in an anaerobic zone ( say zone 4 which is exercising at 80-90% of your max HR)

Definately agree with Ed, you are making it way too complicated. Just log what you burn. If you trust your HRM is accurate, don't worry about all the math. I simply log what it reads. If it makes you feel better on MFP, put in that you're not even seldomly active and you'll be fine. I might think about your method if I put in my regular activity level as very very active. Don't overthink it, cause the more difficult you make it for yourself the less likely you will be to continue it.
  • liftingbro
    Options
    In classes you are at the mercy of the instructor, I don't do machines, that's the main reason I am asking this. If I paused every time I wasn't jumping around, I'd have repetitive strain injury in my finger from button pressing....it might burn an extra cal or two though :laugh:

You do realize that you're way over complicating this? In the grand scheme of things your little tactic will make absolutely no difference. It's pretty much on the verge of being OCD.:laugh:
  • kirstiey
    Options
    I will take that from someone who has lost 186lbs! Well done. Maybe I am a bit bonkers, but I was only asking. No need for some people to insult. It is MFPal. It's the PAL bit I like!