My Blog On Taking Phentermine

Options
I am going to document my experience taking this medication. I started MFP and I weighed in at 168.3. I was told by my doctor that I should be around 130-140. I am 27 5'6 and I have three small kids. I work 60 hours a week and do not eat "healthy". I often skip all meals and splurge at dinner. First week on MFP I lost about 4 lbs. First thing I did was cut out all liquids but water.
( A captain and coke once in while as well):drinker:

My second week I gained 1lb and I did the exact same things as before and I even was working out more. :brokenheart:

I contacted a doctor and was perscriped Phentermine. Today is the third day on this medication. I have not weighed myself recently.

A lot of people have tried this and have massive side effects. Well the first day I was on fire !! I could have climbed the highest mountain in 20 mins.. or at least that is how I felt. I had NO heart palpatations or any jittery feeling.. I felt though I was floating at some points but could focus in a conversation like I have never done before. Dry mouth is the only side effect that was uncomfortable. They say consitpation is another but I guess if you eat the proper amount of fiber everyday you will be ok .

I am having a hard time eating all the calories they recomend.. 1200 one day 1400 next 1300 .. basically mix it up every day. I still work out and work. To get the certain proteins and fibers I am required to have I eat a protein bar in the morning, string cheese in the afternoon with carrots and then a decent dinner. You have no urge to eat YOU HAVE TO CHOKE DOWN FOOD.. if food is laying around and you are bored you might want to eat it out of habbit. I just chew a piece of gum or grab a bottle of water. I also have no urge to smoke as much.. I do it mostly now because I am bored... not because I "need" it. I have cut what I normally smoke in half...

Taking a half in the am and a half in the evening is not an option for me... There is no way I could sleep if I did that !
I have elimated all caffenine out of my diet and switched to decaff. coffee.

I am hoping this medication on top of the MFP and the exercise will help me drop my weight. And then the habbit of not eating the super huge meals will contiune when I am off this medication. I have heard stories that people take this lose 40 lbs go off it and gain 40 + back. Well if you take this medication and only think its a magic drug instead of a booster to the things like exercise and counting calories when you off and indulge in a whole pizza and a bag of chips.. Well duh you are going to gain it all back !!

I dont know if anyone will read this or care about it.. But I am going to document this for me... To see the changes and maybe if you are thinking about it .. my experience will help ... whether it is good or bad... I will tell you the good, the bad and the ugly...

:flowerforyou: Wish me luck

Replies

• SinCity2003
    SinCity2003 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I have an appointment Tuesday with the doctor to start Phentermine. My cousin used it to jumpstart her weight loss. She used it for 3 months and lost 45 pounds. She went off, lost another 35, and has kept that off, so I know it can be done. I'm only going to take it for 30 days though. I just want to shrink my stomach and then I'll be good to do it on my own as I have in the past. Good luck to you!
  • CMM2132
    CMM2132 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have an appointment Tuesday with the doctor to start Phentermine. My cousin used it to jumpstart her weight loss. She used it for 3 months and lost 45 pounds. She went off, lost another 35, and has kept that off, so I know it can be done. I'm only going to take it for 30 days though. I just want to shrink my stomach and then I'll be good to do it on my own as I have in the past. Good luck to you!
    [/quote

Let me know how you feel and such. I personally know someone who did the same thing and I waited for her to get on it show results and then get off and to date I think she has gained 1lb back.... I don't go by things people say that I can not see for myself !! Good luck !
  • Kilotango55
    Options
    Some years ago I lost 4 stones /56 lbs using Phentermine. I never slept...maybe a couple of hours a night, I was buzzing. I barely ate, drank gallons of water as I was always thirsty. I became addicted to it.....although I had reached a stage that I had stopped losing weight.

I eventually weaned myself off it.....took a while, but I gained about 10lbs back and maintained reasonably well until my mother died when I went into a stress eating pattern.

Have to say I would never take it again ever and wouldn't recommend it to anyone for more than a month or so....I ended up taking it for about 3 years as it was a slow process cutting it out
  • tinaspriggs
    Options
    I am on phentermine also and i lost 11 lbs but i don't have the urge to eat and i have cut down on my smoking as well. I am trying to start drinking more water, but I drink a lot of Monster and I am trying to cut down on that also. Got any ideas I could use some.
  • darcy1982
    darcy1982 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm also currently taking Phentermine...I only take a half a pill for all day. I feel that it help my cravings and just helps me be more alert and energized in the a.m but by 9-10pm I'm ready for bed. The first time I took it about a year ago, I was taking a full pill and that made me feel like i was talking a mile a min and couldnt focus. I also havent had any problems with my heart or getting addicted to it.
  • LittleMissAngi
    LittleMissAngi Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I once had a co-worker who started that and got so addicted! I've heard it's like speed. Of course I haven't done my OWN research, that's just what I have heard, doesn't mean that it is true!
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Good luck finding people who will wish you luck.

Also, find a new doctor.

ETA: This isn't a blog.
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I wanna throw some caution to you guys-

I did a stint on phentermine a while back. You can NOT lose fat as quickly as you drop on the meds. You are gonna be losing some muscle. I wasn't big historically but gained weight in grad school, so I got some prescribed from a doctor. Where I was NEVER flabby before, I feel like I have fat everywhere. I developed a "gut" after I stopped. I rebounded from the weight loss too.

Sure it works, but my experience is that like with most "quick fixes," it is a set up. You have to eventually learn to manage deficit and exercise, so no better time to start than the present.

In no way am I judging or scorning you, I'm just giving you feedback from "today" from a person who took in the the past.

If I could tell you what to do, I'd say trash it and go with MFP alone.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Good luck finding people who will wish you luck.

Also, find a new doctor.

ETA: This isn't a blog.

QFT
  • Pinwarp
    Pinwarp Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    All i can say is, good luck. I have known people who got dependant on the stuff, even after they built tolerance. I give a friendly warning, that if you have an addictive personality, to be VERY wary, as it is related chemically to amphetamine.

Watch carefully for signs of dependance, and DO NOT mess with your dosage, even if you find your normal dose has stopped giving you the 'pep' it normally does..upping your own dosage can lead to 'bad things'. My friend took too much at once, after it has stopped working for him, and had very bad insomnia, abnormal heart rate, and ended up having a terrible time quitting the stuff. One day he was so hyped up, he had minor halucinations.

Not telling you what to do, but do some research if you haven't, and know the risks involved. I would highly recommend getting a second opinion from another doctor as well.

I wish you all the best, and be safe!
  • angiethacker08
    Options
    I have used it before too, It is great if you can deal with the jitters. But When I was on it they would come and go. after being on it for while that was not an everyday thing. Just occasionally. That is great that your smoking less too! :happy: I hope it works well for you. just becareful that your not one to go off it and gain it right back, Because some people think they can take the med and eat anything (because they still lose weight) and not excersize and get the same results when they are not on the medication. but you have great determination and Motivation so you will do fine. Good luck! :)
  • staceyb2003
    staceyb2003 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I don't remember what I took, but I was on a medication to lose weight by a doctor back in 2004. I did lose all my weight of course because I was only supposed to eat 900 calories. I now have heart flutters (that is what I call them). I am 5'6" and weighed 164 got down to 140lbs.

I now weigh 182 and I've lost 20lbs in the last year. eeek!!! gained my weight back and some, I would say. I am doing with no easy way out this time. Blood, sweat, and tears!!! I think if I earn it, I'll respect how I got there more.

I just wanted to share my story!! :smile: Good luck !
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I will never understand doctors that prescribe such medication for weight loss. You don't need pills to lose weight, just a plan and a little will power. I've never taken a psychostimulant, but I'm sure the effects are much worse than losing weight by just eating less and exercising more.

Good luck with your Phen. I hope it all ends well.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I was prescribed Phentermine to raise my blood pressure and I couldn't stand taking it. I am kind of surprised at how many people on here have gotten prescriptions-- my pharmacist almost didn't give it to me. I had to explain what it was for, because he said I wasn't heavy enough to need it. He was right I guess, I found myself miserable the whole time. Hope it works better for you. Watch for side effects like a hawk-- I found that it made me compulsive in a very bad way.
  • Rainese
    Rainese Posts: 13
    Options
    I have been taking Phentermine since Thursday and so far I have had no flutters; however I do have a dry mouth. I am still counting calories and watching what I eat and still exercising. I have noticed that I am not stalking the pantry for snacks....
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Ive never taken phentermine,but I spent along time on meth sounds just like it
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options

and you would be correct!
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Watch a movie, it's called Requiem for a Dream. Feel free to fast forward past everything except the scenes with Sara Goldfarb (played by Ellen Burstyn).

Then weigh your options of weight loss with and without pills. It's harder without I'm sure, but it's better for you in the long run.
  • sansouchi1050
    Options
    I'm on Phentermine. I've taken in for around 6 weeks. I don't take it every day, but only when needed. I follow a 1000-1200 cal. diet. 110-130 gm protein, and 40-80 gm carbs per day. I supplement with 2 protein shakes per day. I also take a few supplements. I'm currently doing the 30 day shred, so I exercise 5-6 days per week. The above plan is prescribed by a bariatric certified physician.
    I see the doctor twice per month. So far i've lost 12 lbs. My lean muscle mass has increased 1.5 lbs.
    I've had no adverse side effects.

Anyone telling you taking a pill is a quick solution is wrong. You have to work just as hard to lose you weight! The medication is just another tool to assist you in weight loss.

I would not anticipate you will get much support. I've seen some fairly judgemental attitudes directed towards anyone who doesn't follow the most widely excepted weight loss plan.
    Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options

Bwahahahahaha