not counting drinking calories

Options

Replies

• midwifekelley2350
    midwifekelley2350 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    i counted my three pints i had friday night and i usually have a glass of wine at night if i have enough leftover...if not, i don't
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Are you serious?
  • AnneGenevieveS
    AnneGenevieveS Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    well, don't expect to see the same loss if you aren't counting those calories

you have to find a way to eat and drink you can maintain, so if you need a couple drinks on the weekends, then no biggie, but if you are drinking a lot, you could be sabotaging your weight loss.

As for not counting soda pop, juice, or other drinks, you would be definitely be doomed. if this was every day.
  • ivansmomma
    Options
    I log everything that goes in my mouth from my food, drink, coffee creamer and even meds.

Meds?

I wasn't aware meds had calories. I've seen some log in vitamins, which really doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, either. Hubby and I like to drink wine, so I cut down during the day to enjoy our wine in the evening. Please, don't drink and drive. My other (step) daughter was hit head on 2 years ago by a drunk driver, and still has physical problems.
  • andreacord
    Options
    I can tell you from first hand knowledge that alcohol calories ADD UP FAST! I would definitely count them.

Yup.
  • willym1962
    willym1962 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, count those calories. You can splurge a little, it helps. I do chicken wings and 3 light beers on a saturday afternoon. It's about 700 calories, but it is satisfying. Plus I can adjust to make up the extra calories over the course of the day.

Don't be too strict, and have some fun!
  • KyliAnnHobson
    KyliAnnHobson Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I log everything that goes in my mouth from my food, drink, coffee creamer and even meds.

Meds?

2 tablespoons of Nyquil = 93 calories
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    on a normal day, when i'm at home, i log my glass of wine, or beer. on a night out with friends, i don't log the alcohol. i make sure to eat enough because you shouldn't be drinking on an empty stomach.
  • caitles14
    Options
    I def feel your pain on this one! I'm at a point in my life where I still go out most weekends and drink, yet I still want to lose weight. I've found it works best to save a few hundred calories to use towards alcohol...I still try to eat normal meals on the days I go out, but I just work out extra hard that day so I have some extra calories leftover. Also don't go for beer, I feel like it has the most calories per volume of alcohol and is just a waste. I usually either drink red wine (antioxidants, anyone?) or mixed drinks with a non-calorie mixer (like rum & diet). Yes, I know drinking isn't healthy, but right now I feel like I'm young and don't really have the responsibility of a family, so enjoy I will enjoy it while I can! Just make sure you don't binge eat while you drink, I feel like that's my biggest downfall. If I can avoid the binge eating, I find I can still lose weight while enjoying a few drinks ;)
  • KyliAnnHobson
    KyliAnnHobson Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I can tell you from first hand knowledge that alcohol calories ADD UP FAST! I would definitely count them.

Yup.

Agreed!
  • Qatsi
    Qatsi Posts: 2,191 Member
    Options
    Yes - count them. I'm a fan of craft beers, which tend to be much higher in alcohol content than your typical mass-produced brews. Most of the beers I have are not in the MFP database, but I found a chart that helps me come up with a good estimate and then I add them to the database. Knowing that a pint of a 7.5% IPA sets me back 300 calories helps keep me from overdoing it at my local brewpub.

Calories in beer: http://www.simplybeer.com/how-many-calories-are-in-my-beer/
    Source for determining ABV% of a beer: http://www.beeradvocate.com
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Just because you don't log them doesn't mean they don't exist. I personally don't think you're serious about changing your lifestyle. Even the though of not eating to make sure you have calories for drinking is a very bad sign.
  • mrskesler
    mrskesler Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is extremely high in calories. With all due respect if you're serious about meeting your goals, and you don't log those calories, you're kidding yourself...

If you consume the calories and don't log them, they still got consumed...
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    vodka / diet soda seems to be the ideal.

anything with sugar counts as candy would.
  • xcrushx28
    xcrushx28 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Yes of course count them......Unless you don't really want to lose weight, then just keep drinking.
  • loopybec2002
    loopybec2002 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I don't ever count it but i also dont count the five hours of shaking my @$$ on the dance floor wearing high heels getting really hot& my heart rate has gone up because im drunk i dont even feel the burn of moving my body constantly on the dance floor. Its equal to a three hr zumba class&i have to stop the zumba after an hr cus im shattered
  • SDkitty
    SDkitty Posts: 446 Member
    Options

Meds?

I wasn't aware meds had calories. I've seen some log in vitamins, which really doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, either.

Regarding the not understanding the logging of vitamins, the entire point of logging everything each day is to have an accurate reading of what we are putting in our bodies. I am trying to make a lifestyle change, not just lose weight, so I keep an eye on my vitamins and minerals as well as calories intake. Also I'm anemic so it's important that I make sure I get enough iron in my diet. Hope that makes sense now :happy:
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    personally, alcohol has never affected my weight (thank god!!). I can drink like a fish and still weigh the same over time, or less (because of the dehydration affect alcohol has)....but that's just me. Everyone else I know has issues with alcohol combined with trying to lose weight. If you're going to drink, go with something low to no calories like vodka tonic, vodka soda...with extra lime!!!

I admit I didn't read through anyone elses responses, so I'm sure they gave similar input as far as what to drink goes haha
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Are you logging just as a 'general guide' or do you want to specifically track the details of your calorie intake to see your progress. There are loads of calories in alcohol, so you are impacting your weight loss efforts by drinking it. Provided you are still creating a deficit, you will continue to lose, but not as much as MFP has set for you.
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    TERRIBLE idea. alcohol has a ton of calories. count them. Even light beers have 100+ calories per bottle. a calorie is a calorie. Just because it's liquid doesn't mean it doesn't count.