Sweet Potato help?!?!

Options
tistal
tistal Posts: 869 Member
Best way to cook sweet potatoes? I love them every way EXCEPT mashed. Especially fries or roasted but I have never made them before and I bought 3 sweet potatoes yesterday at the store.

Replies

• lvmyequines
    lvmyequines Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I like to cut them into tiny slices ( like fries) , and bake them. I spray the pan covered in tin foil with cooking spray and then spray the "fries" I like to sprinkle on curry powder and sea salt sometimes too. Or you can sprinkle on cinnamon if you like sweet.
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I am super boring, but I just poke 'em with a fork and bake 'em for 1 hour at 400F, then eat 'em just like that. Delish!
  • catherine4211
    catherine4211 Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I do the same - poke it with a fork and bake for 1 hour at 400. Eat it plain. Love them. Might throw one in the oven right now. But actually I buy yams, not sweet potatoes.
  • auntdeedee87
    auntdeedee87 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Slice into fry-sizes and toss in a bowl with a tbsp of EVOO to coat. Sprinkle with Mrs. Dash, garlic powder, salt & pepper... whatever you want.

Bake (a pizza pan with holes for crispiness works best for me) at 400ish until they are done.

So, so good.
  • lvmyequines
    lvmyequines Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I do the same - poke it with a fork and bake for 1 hour at 400. Eat it plain. Love them. Might throw one in the oven right now. But actually I buy yams, not sweet potatoes.

I am terrified of yams after reading an article of the significant twinning statistics in a village in Nigeria suspecting Nigerian yams ROFL. I read a related article 4 years ago and can't get it out of my head when I see yams.

"There is hardly a family here without a set of twins," said community leader Olayide Akinyemi

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5i_IsZNBK7Hf1B4VhfWtFxg7G2svw
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    This is my and my youngest daughter's favorite way to eat sweet potatoes: http://vegancajun.blogspot.com/2011/10/sweet-potatoes-and-keen-what.html
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I'll wash them and place in a ziploc baggie and throw them in the microwave. Add a sprinkle of cinnamon and stevia. Sometimes a little greek yogurt.
  • kvreeken
    kvreeken Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    This is so funny I am addicted to sweet potatoes right now. I peel, slice in .25 inch slices. Put them in my steamer until they are slightly soft cut them into french fries then dip in (ok this may sound crazy) yellow mustard. The sweet and tart are amazing together.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I like them in home made stew and soups, as well as oven fries.
  • gg24
    gg24 Posts: 58
    Options
    I eat them for breakfast now and then. Hash browns! Shred em' and use a little oil, butter or spray to cook them. Even better when you add the onions and peppers.
  • thinkpositive3
    thinkpositive3 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Wash it, poke a few holes in it, and put it in a paper bag (lunch bag size works best), and pop it in the microwave for about 6 minutes. Split it open and drizzle with honey.

Awesome way to do regular bakers as well.
  • hellonheels88
    hellonheels88 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    1) bake in oven whole, unwrapped, right on the rack until soft...like regular baked potatoes
    2) let cool, then slice to desired thickness
    3) slice a granny smith apple thinly
    4) layer sweet potato slices, apple slices, handful of craisins, sprinkle of brown sugar, repeat to make multiple layers
    5) dab a little butter on top (if you'd like) and a little extra brown sugar
    6) pop back in the oven until warmed through/sugar and butter mixture is melted

DELICIOUS!
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Ugh, don't destroy them by adding nonsense. Bake them whole, make fries, whatever. Just don't add all sorts of crap.

Just eat them!
  • kjankowske
    kjankowske Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use a mandolin to slice them super thin and sprinkle them with seasoned salt. Lay them out in a single layer on parchment paper and microwave them until crisp (4-6 minutes). Super fast and oil-free sweet potato chips!
  • NicoWoodruff
    NicoWoodruff Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I like to cut them into eighths/wedges, toss with eggwhite, then toss in olive oil with salt/pepper and bake. Yum, sweet potato homefries/wedges!

.. then there's my sweet potato pie with extra cinnamon.. but that's more indulgent.

Sometimes I just bake them in the skin with oil rubbed on them, then crack them open with butter and spices yum.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Ugh, don't destroy them by adding nonsense. Bake them whole, make fries, whatever. Just don't add all sorts of crap.

Just eat them!

Hell yes.

I just bake them (about 350 for an hour) and eat. They're the perfect food - they need nothing.
    If you're in a hurry you can even microwave them.
  • neaneawy
    neaneawy Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    love them too! Just tried a new flavored evoo, chipotle. Cut the sw pot in 1in. cube and shook in bag with some chipotle evoo baked on cookie sheet until soft. Sprinkled on some salt and stevia. I love the sweet and salty mix!
  • fitprn
    fitprn Posts: 1
    Options
    Cube them, lighty cover with olive oil and low sodium taco seasoning (just part of the pouch). Bake on a cookie sheet until done. My whole family loves them!
  • SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Options

Just eat them!

You put things so delicately.... hahaha
  • midwifekelley2350
    midwifekelley2350 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    i have smashed them with yellow or russet potatoes...half and half