*Ladies only question...*

Options
Ladies,
any tips on how to not eat everything in the kitchen when it's that "time of the month"? Lol the first couple days just seem to take a toll on me and I snack/eat like crazy..... :( any suggestions ?

Replies

• cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    bump. I struggle with this too. I always eat about half a jar of peanut butter while watching hours of How I Met Your Mother on my couch
  • sandhillcrane
    Options
    Well, that's the million dollar question! lol But I would say, plan ahead and keep healthy alternatives readily available. Make sure to eat all of your meals. Don't wait until you are starving to eat. You will likely make bad choices. Drink plenty of water!
    I'll be interested to hear what others say! :drinker:
  • LovelyLibra79
    LovelyLibra79 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    if i knew the answer to this...i would be rich! lol
  • rollycollysmama
    Options
    i keep pretzals around, it fills my salt craving, and for chocolate, I eat special K chocolatly delight Lol. the biggest thing is do it in moteration. eat small meals all day so you feel full, and are less prone to snack.
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Make sure that trigger foods are out of the house completely. For me, that would be Cool Mint Oreos and chips and salsa. Make sure you have some lower calorie, healthy alternatives. I love an apple with peanut butter. Don't allow yourself the jar - put the apple slices on a plate, measure out the PB, fix a drink (for me, I only drink ice water except for my morning tea or coffee) in a pretty glass. If you can avoid eating the whole bar, 1 small square of a good quality dark chocolate is a good snack. Dark chocolate is good for you and one small square won't blow your diet. Let it melt. I keep my dark chocolate upstairs in my scrapbook room and once in the house, it's generally considered too much trouble for me to go outside, up the back staircase, unlock the door, etc. Inconvenient. Or is it that I'm too lazy? (Actually it's that I'm afraid there will be geckos on the door. They terrify me.) Anyway....frozen green grapes fill my sweet tooth because freezing concentrates their sugars and they have a very satisfying crunch. Fix a fruit or veggie try and have it ready in the fridge for when you feel like you need a snack. Hummus is a good veggie dip. Again, just measure it out to make sure you don't go over on your calories.

Alternatively, make sure you are getting enough exercise during that time as well. And staying well hydrated.
  • lmclane87
    lmclane87 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You can eat a lot, as long as it is on the right foods. I like to eat pickles (0 calories), or fruits and veggies. These are the kinds of things that you can binge on and not feel guilty!!!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    bump. I struggle with this too. I always eat about half a jar of peanut butter while watching hours of How I Met Your Mother on my couch

I love that show!
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Like they said, plan ahead. Try to have low calorie things you crave. Like me, it's chocolate so I try to have dark chocolate so I'll just eat a few pieces, rather than a whole pan of brownies. And if you're really worried, maybe bump up your calories to maintenance for a few days, so you're not gaining but you're indulging some :)
  • deliciousappleblue
    deliciousappleblue Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I just work out more. The exercise really makes you feel better during that time - and the more you exercise, the more calories you get to eat back!
  • mindymoney
    Options
    I eat a bite of ice or a bite of chocalate never the whole thing nor do I ever scoop a bowl of ice cream just eat a bite it usually craves my sweet tooth. As for chips that is another story so I try to buy baked or wheat thins and just not have it around! Hope that helps. also chew gum...:happy:
  • Betsybeee
    Betsybeee Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    that's a tough one and one I'm still trying to figure out myself
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    For me, I have found out that I have to keep healthy-ish snacks in the house that satisfy my cravings....
  • Jessaustx
    Jessaustx Posts: 130
    Options
    I always eat about half a jar of peanut butter while watching hours of How I Met Your Mother on my couch

haha this is pure genius
  • nenar77
    nenar77 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I totally understand! My neighbor ordered pizza and I had a "Ali Mcbeal" moment wanting to tackle the pizza guy for the pizza. I heard on Dr. Oz to get a couple spoons of peanut butter and it curbs your craving. It has worked for my too. I just bought a bogo deal today.lol
  • DKev
    DKev Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I just work out more. The exercise really makes you feel better during that time - and the more you exercise, the more calories you get to eat back!
    \

^^This. It's amazing how much better just getting off your butt during that time and working out will make you feel and of course the bonus of more calories to play with !
  • lmalaschak
    lmalaschak Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    The lady who said to measure it all out onto a plate is bang on. If you take the bag of chips to the couch with you you are finished. Also get some of those Crystal Light drink mix single thingies and put one into a large bottle of water. Keeps the sweet tooth at bay. Sort of.
  • SammyKatt
    SammyKatt Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one that NEVER wants to eat when its that time? I have to force myself to eat. =/ I'm so weird!
  • breeanreyes
    breeanreyes Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    exercise, exercise, exercise! it really makes a difference and helps regulate your hormones. Keep a very small about of dark chocolate in the house for intense cravings, but try to satiate them with sweet fruit
  • chelgross
    Options
    I can usually just drink water and snack on 100 calorie snacks...BUT this month was horrible and I gave in and had a Quarter pounder with fries. TASTED SO FREAKING GOOD. I normally would just do a reg. hamburger & take the bun off and get a small fry and throw 1/2 of them away but I had not had that much grease and craved it. Sometimes you just have to cave and do it but exercise a bit more...
  • MadIrish
    Options
    For me, moderation is the key. I make sure to have fruits and veggies on hand. I get 2 cravings when I am PMSing, I want chocolate and I want some fruity type of candy. If you deny me those, may God have mercy on your soul. This past month, I got a Dove milk chocolate bar and a small bag of Swedish fish. I ate both, but they were single servings and I wasn't going to go back out for more, so that satisfied the cravings and I havent' done too much damage.