When do you stop eating?

Options
I have heard people say don't eat after seven. Well with hubbys work he doesn't get home till 10:30 and we eat together. Does it really make a difference? if so would it be different for people who work nights and sleep during the day? What is the point behind stopping at 7?

Replies

• monty_williams
    Options
    Time of day doesn't matter.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    It only matters if you personally experience problems sleeping if you eat close to bed time. If it doesn't bother you in terms of sleeping habits/preferences, eat at whatever time you like. I often don't have dinner until fairly late, and I also continue snacking right up until bedtime. It hasn't hurt my weightloss. Calories at 11pm are worth exactly the same amount as the same calories at 5 pm. :-)

ETA: the whole 'don't eat after 7' thing is probably just an easy way to get people to stop gorging on snacks while sitting in front of the TV. You know, people that want to lose weight but either don't know about calorie deficits or just don't care to count calories. Helps keep them from consuming all those extra snack calories that may have been hurting their efforts before. But for someone who is tracking calories diligently and is aware of their limits, timing does not matter as long as you budget your evening calories into your day just like you budget all your other food into your day. If it fits into your daily goal, eat it whenever you like. :-)
  • cooter2533
    Options
    When they say dont eat after 7 they are really saying "dont eat 3-4 hours before you go to bed" so depending on sleep schedule and such that doesnt really apply. Also like a previous poster said time of days really doesnt matter. Ultimately it comes down to Calories in vs calories out.
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    when the food is no longer in my apartment... I'm a poor example of proper eating habits.

However, I hear that time of day means squat unless you're a night binger, in which case you would just have to ... not binge.
  • visualsoul
    Options
    i think it is because most people are not active after 7pm so there will not be a lot of calorie burning going on. but if you have to eat late just make good food choices.
  • andreacord
    Options
    Doesn't matter. I eat late some nights because I'm a university student so I don't have any choice if I'm doing homework or studying and I get hungry.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I stop eating when I'm full for the day (or I've reached my calorie limit), haha.

I don't buy into all of that "dont eat after a certain time" stuff. A calorie is a calorie, no matter what time. I do understand why some people restrict themselves at night to prevent binges, but if that's not an issue for you, it shouldn't matter. I eat right before bed all the time and am still losing weight at a normal rate.
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Last meal I have is 3 hrs before bedtime, no starchy carbs.
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I stop eating when I hit my macros. Time doesn't mater.
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Um, almost never?! I eat and keep eating until my calories are all gone! Doesn't matter what time of day...
  • feduh86
    feduh86 Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Just like what was said above ... you're just not supposed to eat 3-4 hours before bed =)
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Time of day is irrelevant, unless it makes you uncomfortable to go to bed or lie down with a full belly. It's really calories in versus calories out, regardless of what time you eat those calories.

An exception, in my opinion, is timing food to your workouts. Then it seems to make a difference if you're eating carbs, proteins, fats, etc... and how far in advance off a workout... and what is most likely to give you energy.
  • cheninaerin
    Options
    TIme of day isn't exactly irrelevant. If you eat too close to the time you go to sleep, your body wont metabolize it like it would during the day as you move. As you get close to sleep your body slows down, and therefore will not burn off the food you eat at night easily.

Of course, calories in vs calories out is the ultimate decider-- But from a health standpoint, you should give your body at least 3 - 4 hours of activity after eating and before sleep.
  • sarabig2fit
    sarabig2fit Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    i try to be up atleast 2 hours after i eat. i don't eat after 7.
  • MyFeistyEvolution
    MyFeistyEvolution Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I personally don't care about the time of day. If I have a calorie goal to eat and I can have something a hour or two before bed, I will.

The only thing to take into consideration is obvious foods that may upset you anyway. I certainly won't go out and have fast food or eat something super heavy before going to bed....I just won't sleep good and will wake up with an upset tummy. In regards to weight loss though, I don't believe time matters.
  • tanyaMax
    tanyaMax Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    i have din-din around 8-9pm and ALWAYS have a mid night snack and go to bed around 2am...DOESNT MATTER
  • JCN_1103
    Options
    If I'm hungry I eat. Could care less what time of day it is.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    sometimes i may have my last meal around 9pm, like today. some days i eat dinner at 7ish, with a dessert or tea 30 minutes later. it really doesn't matter.
  • ffuunnnnyy__ggiirrll
    Options
    I stop eating when I'm full.
  • SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    I stop eating when I'm full.

Yeah me too ....usually its after I swallow the last bite