When do you stop eating?

Options

Replies

• infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    The best time to stop eating is before you're asleep.
  • TeresaC79
    TeresaC79 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Just like what was said above ... you're just not supposed to eat 3-4 hours before bed =)

Actually this is another dieting myth. You continue burning calories asleep...after all, your body is still working to pump your heart, breath, process food, etc.

The only reason to set a time to stop eating is if you are a binger or boredom eater after a certain time.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    TIme of day isn't exactly irrelevant. If you eat too close to the time you go to sleep, your body wont metabolize it like it would during the day as you move. As you get close to sleep your body slows down, and therefore will not burn off the food you eat at night easily.

Of course, calories in vs calories out is the ultimate decider-- But from a health standpoint, you should give your body at least 3 - 4 hours of activity after eating and before sleep.

Not true. The body metabolizes food in exactly the same way 24 hours a day. Your body doesn't slow down on a metabolic level. When you sleep, that's when your body does all of it's repair and maintenance work, which actually takes a lot of energy, especially if you worked out during the day. You can burn anywhere from about 600-1000 calories while you sleep, depending on how long you sleep, and your metabolic rate.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm not.
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    TIme of day isn't exactly irrelevant. If you eat too close to the time you go to sleep, your body wont metabolize it like it would during the day as you move. As you get close to sleep your body slows down, and therefore will not burn off the food you eat at night easily.

Of course, calories in vs calories out is the ultimate decider-- But from a health standpoint, you should give your body at least 3 - 4 hours of activity after eating and before sleep.

I respectfully disagree. While you can find research to support just about anything (and both sides of this story)... the majority of what I have read does not support your theory.

Here's just one example: "According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Weight Control Information Network web site, “it does not matter what time of day you eat. It is what and how much you eat and how much physical activity you do during the whole day that determines whether you gain, lose, or maintain your weight.”
  • beautifulbeast11
    beautifulbeast11 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Just like what was said above ... you're just not supposed to eat 3-4 hours before bed =)

Actually this is another dieting myth. You continue burning calories asleep...after all, your body is still working to pump your heart, breath, process food, etc.

The only reason to set a time to stop eating is if you are a binger or boredom eater after a certain time.

Agreed. It totally is a myth. Research has shown in some cases you can burn more calories while sleeping than sitting awake. Though, this doesn't mean just sleep all day. So eat whenever! A calorie is a calorie, no matter what time of the day!
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    The one rule is, don't eat when you're sleeping.

All other times is fine. :glasses:
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I stop when I'm done with my allotted calories for the day (usually).

It is a silly wives' tale that something bad will happen if you eat too late at night. The only thing to be concerned with is if certain foods may interfere with your sleep.

blessings.
  • HannahMarieMcDougald
    Options
    I stop at 8pm
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    I stop at 8pm

what if its been a busy day, and you just didn't have time for dinner, and you finally get home and its 815?
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I eat in bed. :happy:
  • rhce40
    rhce40 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    depends on when i go to bed. on days that i am up until 4am, i get really hungry considering i usually eat dinner round 6
  • DKev
    DKev Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I eat whenever I'm hungry....don't care what time it is, only that I'm staying within my calorie allowance for the given day.
  • SIZEro
    SIZEro Posts: 4
    Options
    I eat supper most days before 630, on days where I workout later in the night I have a snack/ mini meal.
    Sometimes I go to bed hungry, but if its too bad, than I'll get up and have something to eat regardless of the time.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    The one rule is, don't eat when you're sleeping.

All other times is fine. :glasses:

I have a family member that actually does sleep-eat. He gets up in his sleep and gets a snack in the kitchen and has no recollection of it in the morning. Makes it hard to follow that rule. LOL
  • maggie16sweetxoxo
    maggie16sweetxoxo Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    well the later you eat the less time you have to digest so if you weigh yourself everyday it will make a diffrence
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I eat in bed. :happy:

Bwahaha! Now that's funny!
  • waanju
    waanju Posts: 27 Member
    Options

It doesn't matter if you eat all of your calories and immediately fall asleep, as long as you keep calories the same.
    We actually metabolize quite well when we're asleep, which is why most mammals fall asleep after eating.
  • rayleansout
    Options
    I eat as often and whenever i want as long as its within my calorie goals for the day
  • kepete
    kepete Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I don't eat until I get home at night which is between 7:45 & 8:30. I then am in bed by 10:00 or so. I'm down 86 pounds so thankfully it hasn't effected me.