Do you get told "You don't need to lose any weight"

Options
124»

Replies

• samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Ugh I hate that. They don't have to see me naked or look in my mirror. My doctor is the one who finally convinced me to loose weight, so I shut them up with that. You can be thin and still be terribly unhealthy, though I'm not exactly skinner either.
  • MOS3
    MOS3 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I've had this too. I am 5'6 and started at 166lbs, I am now 141lbs and happy. When I get criticised and told I didn't need to lose weight, i say, I was overweight, blood pressure and cholesteral were too high. Now I am in a good weight range, fit in to a uk 12, blood pressure and cholesterol are now normal, and I am soo much fitter (cos of the increased excercise and healthy eating). So in short - I did need to lose weight and wont be returning to my old unhealthy lifestyle.
  • kitty725
    Options
    Yes! I get told this all the time by my boyfriend, friends, family, you name it! The biggest issue I have sounds like what you're proposing-- I want to feel good in my own skin, have more energy, and generally feel good about MYself. Weight loss goals are very personal and it take a lot of courage to put yourself out there and push yourself for a change. Don't let anyone tell you what you should look and feel like, only you can do that!
  • wells0707
    wells0707 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I think sometimes people say the "nice" reply. Maybe they don't know how to just be supportive. In my opinion people get uncomfortable talking to someone and acknowledging that they are overweight (to their face)

Ex: Does this make me look fat? (um..who is gonna say yes)
    Trying to lose weight (why..you're not fat)
    How do you like my new hair cut (too late now...people aren't gonna say they hate it)
  • BlaireV
    BlaireV Posts: 137
    Options
    Yes! I'm constantly told that I should "stop" because it's "too much". I still have 20 lbs to go (don't let the ticker confuse you, I lost ~30 lbs prior to MFP)! It mostly comes from my best friends, who I've known for years. They've never seen me like this so I guess they're just not used to it.
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I get it too. However, it's usually from people that are overweight themselves. Rarely do people that are at a healthy weight tell me that.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I think it's that the people around us don't judge us nearly as harshly as we judge ourselves.

As an example, my Dad had pitch black hair when he was younger. In my mind, he always had pitch black hair, and I didn't notice as he got more and more grey. One year for Christmas, one of my siblings got him one of those joke baseball hats with a ponytail. As he opened it, I thought, "It's GREY! That's not even going to match Dad's hair...." It wasn't until that moment that I noticed his hair was no longer black.

The same goes for our friends and family. They have a mental image of us, and that stays the same for them. If you've been thin most of your life, they're going to think of you as "the thin one." Your change has been too gradual for them to notice.
  • mwest11
    mwest11 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend tells me all the time that I look beautiful the way I am now. I appreciate him whole-heartedly for loving me the way I am but I am not happy with my current weight and the way I feel.
  • LeahFerri
    LeahFerri Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    This is why I don't talk about it--I'm sure if I said anything to anyone in my family they'd say that I don't need to. And maybe I don't need to, but it's something I want to do. For me. It's not like my goal is unhealthy. And yeah, I'm the small one in my family.
    The one friend I've talked to about it said that I don't need to--and I accept that he's fundamentally correct--but recognizes that it's my choice and that as long as I'm not doing anything bad for my health, it's my choice.
  • SuperPenguin6
    Options
    Yup. I think so many people are obese that people don't even realize how thin you really have to be to be in the "healthy" bmi range. I think people think you can look "chubby" and still be at a "healthy" weight or not "medically overweight" but that is simply not true. The thinnest I've been recently (about a year ago) is just 5 pounds under the cut off for the "overweight" bmi and I was a size 6. I'm 5'4 and 154 pounds, which I feel like is pretty "average" in today's society...but it IS actually overweight!

I'm the same, 5'4" and I started at 156. People say all the time I don't need to lose weight, but it's because my body carries extra weight well. But even so, that extra weight is not healthy weight. I'm only about 3 lbs away from being in the healthy weight range, but then I want to go another 20ish pounds, back to my college weight.
  • techigirl78
    techigirl78 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Yes, from some people. Otherwise, I tell them how much more I want to lose and they say it is not necessary. However, my goal is the weight I was when I was about 23 and felt good about myself.