SALT - are you scared of it?

Options
13»

Replies

• shariguymon
    shariguymon Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Not scared about it! but Highly processed foods often just have too much of this necessary item in them....I've read that 1500mg daily is generally all that is needed when you are older, such as over 60, and 5,000 mg daily, or more for an extended period of time can be harmful. An occasional high usage will only give you dry mouth, and water retention......Mostly I just think we all need a little common sense.....Salt occurs naturally in most vegetables, and is needed, but I don't think anyone needs a cup of soup with 950mg or more.......taste is enhanced with much less. I prefer to use less highly processed foods and get most of my sodium from herbs and whole foods, but then that provides a lot more fiber, and that's a whole other topic...............Just eat and enjoy our food , and don't be excessive!!!!!!....... My 2 cents worth, I imagine we will all continue to do what we want anyway in spite of anything we read!!!!!!!
  • petreebird
    petreebird Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I have traded normal table salt for sea salt. Not completely, but mostly as i have seen how much sodium is in the foods we eat. But no, I'm not scared of salt.

What's the logic behind this? Sea salt is still sodium chloride. Is the flavor supposed to be stronger or something so you use less of it?

Ok, man do I see a debate on this!
    Salt is salt...By weight, sea salt and table salt contain the same amount of sodium chloride ~Mayo Clinic
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sea-salt/AN01142

The reason I switched is because I tend to be heavy handed with the salt shaker and when I use the sea salt, I have it in a container and take a pinch of it out. That is my only reasoning behind switching. I use less when I take a pinch. So ultimately I'm getting less sodium and can control my intake better...it's really just a personal preference.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of the salt hypothosis, but I don't like a lot of salt in most foods so I rarely give it a thought. I can tell when I've eaten too much because I bloat up, but again, since I don't like a lot in most foods so that's not often.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I have traded normal table salt for sea salt. Not completely, but mostly as i have seen how much sodium is in the foods we eat. But no, I'm not scared of salt.

What's the logic behind this? Sea salt is still sodium chloride. Is the flavor supposed to be stronger or something so you use less of it?

Yes, many find that it tastes saltier than processed table salt so they can use less. Sea salt often has more minerals than table salt, also.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Fighting with a chemist about chemicals and minerals is like going 10 rounds with Mohammed Ali...you might get in a couple jabs, but in the end you will be KO.

As to the article...good read. People don't realize that we DO need salt, just not 4000mg a day (like many people get). Athletes need more because of sweating it out and protein synthesis. I usually run about 800-1200 a day, which is completely aporopriate. Some days I am higher but rarely lower. When I cook, I will use sea salt, but I don't add a bunch because I'm not keen on things being too salty. I'm not intimidated by salt intake because since I don't eat a ton of processed foods, I don't get an overabundance.
    I eat about 3000mg daily which sounds high until we consider the 6000 I was getting on my previous diet.

I am happy with this.
  • mp13cat
    mp13cat Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I love salt, and short of having a doctor tell me I'm going to fall over dead because of it, I can't think of anything that would make me eat less of it.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    There was a time when salt was as valuable as a current life insurance policy. Modern day society and the low-fat, carbs-gon'-makeya fat diet advice has put alot of misinformation out there, just read the boards here.

I love me some sodium! I'm always over and I don't care.
  • stubsy1968
    stubsy1968 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    PU: You should get a banana & sprinkle it with salt. Then drink some water. It will all even out :happy:

^^^ ha ha ha!!! Thx for the link Chris. I've read the article and am now not so scared of sodium. I also think I may need to consume a little more coloured salt due to my varied, high-intensity workouts when I sweat my *kitten* off :laugh:

Again, thx for the info

Kathy
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Sighhhh, finally!!! Not scared of salt. I'm a salty sweat-er, I need it!! Moderation is my motto...

Edited to Add: There was an article in Runner's World that put my mind at ease about sodium... I should dig it out...
  • Rachiepie6
    Rachiepie6 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I need to up my sodium intake! If I try to have as little sodium as possible, I cramp, bad. I now don't not care, but I don't worry about my salt! :D Extra water for extra salt though.
  • Hollie_downunder
    Options
    Thanks for the info Chris... always a fountain of knowledge ;)
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Looks like Eric Cressey agrees
    http://www.ericcressey.com/sodium-intake-is-salt-bad-for-you

Funny comment from someone about sprinkling a banana with salt :tongue:
  • trolkeeper
    trolkeeper Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    not scared, but I avoid it because at my age it tends to cause swelling in the fingers and ankle/feet area.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    That's an interesting read, thanks for sharing. I hadn't heard about the link between osteoporis and salt before.
    Generally though, I'm not bothered by salt, I don't eat a lot of processed food and don't have any health issues that I'm aware of that means I need to cut down. Especially when it's hot (41c today) and I run, I probably need more.
    The only other thing I have read is that there is believed to be a link between salt consumption and Meniere's.disease which I found interesting as I I have mild tinnitus so that is something that I try to keep an eye on.
  • Adrenaline_Queen
    Adrenaline_Queen Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Depends on where the salt if from......... ie in a lunch to put in the microwave from Asda, I am sure it is not good for you, but my salts that I put in my water every day...... ARE.................. xx Irons and more positive irons please xxxxxxx

84 trace minerals and elements in salt and 92 are present in our bodies, now we need these... The soil is already depleted.... We are not getting enough from our fruit and veg................. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Anyway, nice read!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.saltyourselfout.co.uk/

Where I get mine from, "Swear by it" just soak the lumps of salt and have a table spoon a day of the water in the container, then add more water to keep it topped up xxxxxxxxxxxxxx I love it

I am 40 my fingers and other parts of me are not swollen from this!! But this is not rubbish you would get from a shop, this is raw............. xx
  • Adrenaline_Queen
    Adrenaline_Queen Posts: 626 Member
    Options

Sea salt crystals are larger, so there is less sodium when measuring by volume. That's the only logical reason I know of that makes it "better."

I personally refuse to buy sea salt from a supermarket!! Shudders.... It is very expensive, but then my family and I are so worth it... Also it lasts and lasts, as you only need a small amount in your food when cooking and everyone notices how amazing my food is.................... I know, even a simple veg soup tastes amazing...................

SALT............ I love it................ Drinking salt water is so good for me, I swear by it, that is what it is called.. LOL

http://www.saltyourselfout.co.uk/shop/health/swear-by-it-sole-pink-himalayan-salt-elixir/

More people should, but sadly people believe what they read in papers and watch on TV....... Or the Internet...

Just my own personal views, I dont think anyone stupid for not knowing, I just hope they will figure it out one day soon, after all I did not know until I was told xxxxxx