Army PFT?

Options
Does anyone else work towards this? I found a website that has the 3 month training calendar. Anybody else wanna work on it with me?

Let me know :)

http://www.hooah4health.com/4You/apft.htm

Replies

• kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else work towards this? I found a website that has the 3 month training calendar. Anybody else wanna work on it with me?

Let me know :)

http://www.hooah4health.com/4You/apft.htm
  • xsargex
    xsargex Posts: 768
    Options
    I got the AFPT calculator for Body Fat on excel. Very handy to keep track of that particular standard.
    Let me know, I can shoot it over to ya.
  • nicolesdiet0809
    Options
    Oh wow I was looking at that and thinking they would tell me to get lost, the army that is. I'm so in the below average ranges! But yeah I think this would be a fun challenge to work on!
  • xsargex
    Options
    haha, Army retention is kinda hurting right now. They've kinda lowered their standards for new recruits. Thats why they have the Fat *kitten* Program during pre-basic (Reception) to get you in shape before you even start Day 1 Basic. Pretty hilarious.
  • flcaoh
    flcaoh Posts: 444
    Options
    I'd totally be up for it... but I surfed around the site and can't find the 3 month calendar. Can ya help me out? :)
  • nicolesdiet0809
    Options
    On the link...

http://www.hooah4health.com/4You/apft_two.htm

Click on read more and on the very top is the three month calendar pdf.
  • flcaoh
    flcaoh Posts: 444
    Options
    On the link...

http://www.hooah4health.com/4You/apft_two.htm

Click on read more and on the very top is the three month calendar pdf.

Thanks!
  • nicolesdiet0809
    Options
    No problem!

I'm up for this or better yet try to attempt it. Since I've included strength training into my fitness routine I have lost more weight and especially more inches. I think this would help out a lot!
  • kristinlough
    Options
    I'm planning on starting Monday (actually Tuesday ...) I ride on Wednesdays and Fridays, so I figure I could PT Tues, Thurs & Sat.

If y'all want, we could check in with each other and do the whole support group thing! I love it that other people want to not just lose weight but get fit :smile: (a problem I'm finding at school ...)
  • nicolesdiet0809
    Options
    I agree I think a support group thing would be cool. I workout at Curves 4-5 times a week and I think adding this would beneficial. I, at one time in my life prior to children and husband, had a "six pack" stomach and these past few years I've been sporting a "keg" or two. So I'm excited about making myself do this, especially the sit ups.

I will admit though, I so will be starting with push ups done on my knees and situps with my arms across my chest for the first three weeks like it recommends for people new to it all. I tried last night just to get a feel of it and yeah it was bad. :laugh:

So lets do this! :smile:
  • trenauldo
    trenauldo Posts: 235
    Options
    As a former Army Cav trooper, I just had to pop in on this thread and give a big HOO-AH to everyone here working to improve their APFT score. Stick with it, and you'll do well.

This might motivate you some. I can do better on the APFT now at almost age 40 than I could when I was 17 and just enlisted, and I'm talking about comparing to the 17-21 age range, not the old-folks range. So, if you're struggling, remember there's a 40-year-old guy out there who can do it, so you can, too.

Go get 'em soldiers... SCOUTS OUT!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    haha, Army retention is kinda hurting right now. They've kinda lowered their standards for new recruits. Thats why they have the Fat *kitten* Program during pre-basic (Reception) to get you in shape before you even start Day 1 Basic. Pretty hilarious.

HOOAH! GO ARMY!!

They've had Fat Camp (Recycling?) for a while, I know back in 2002. I think now they probably accept more and more to go through it, hoping to keep anyone with a desire to serve and get their bodies to where they need to be.

Thought I'd post a funny joke I received the other day, since it kinda goes with the theme here. (Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread....)

Dear Ma and Pa,

I am well. Hope you are. Tell Brother Walt and Brother Elmer the Marine Corps beats working for old man Minch by a mile. Tell them to join up quick before all of the places are filled up.

I was restless at first because you get to stay in bed till nearly 6 a.m. But I am getting so I like to sleep late.

Tell Walt and Elmer all you do before breakfast is smooth your cot, and shine some things. No hogs to slop, feed to pitch, mash to mix, wood to split, fire to lay. Practically nothing.

Men got to shave but it is not so bad, there's warm water and nice soap. Breakfast is strong on trimmings like fruit juice, cereal, eggs, bacon, etc., but kind of weak on chops, potatoes, ham, steak, fried eggplant, pie and other regular food, but tell Walt and Elmer you can always sit by the two city boys that live on coffee. Their food, plus yours, holds you until noon when you get fed again. It's no wonder these city boys can't walk much.

We go on 'route marches,' which the platoon sergeant says are long walks to harden us If he thinks so, it's not my place to tell him different. A 'route march' is about as far as to our mailbox at home. Then the city guys get sore feet and we all ride back in trucks.

The Sargent is like a school teacher. He nags a lot. The Captain is like the school board. Majors and colonels just ride around and frown. They don't bother you none.

This next will kill Walt and Elmer with laughing. I keep getting medals for shooting. I don't know why. The bulls-eye is near as big as a chipmunk head and don't move, and it ain't shooting at you like the Higgett boys at home. All you got to do is lie there all comfortable and hit it. You don't even load your own cartridges They come in boxes.

Then we have what they call hand-to-hand com bat training. You get to wrestle with them city boys. I have to be real careful though, they break real easy. It ain't like fighting with that ole bull at home. I'm about the best they got in this except for that Tug Jordan from over in Silver Lake . I only beat him once.. He joined up the same time as me, but I'm only 5'6' and 130 pounds and he's 6'8' and near 300 pounds dry.

Be sure to tell Walt and Elmer to hurry and join before other fellers get onto this setup and come stampeding in.

Your loving daughter,
    Alice

PS - I love that you guys are trying to workout to APFT. I think that is hella cool. I'd love to do it but, A) I have asthma, and B) I'm a TOTAL wuss. One day, I'm hoping to be able to meet those basic minimums. I think it would be so cool. Already working on the pull ups so I can show up all the boys on the playground :wink:
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I do, lol...but it's because they make me!!
  • kristinlough
    Options
    haha, Army retention is kinda hurting right now. ...[shortening quote]

PS - I love that you guys are trying to workout to APFT. I think that is hella cool. I'd love to do it but, A) I have asthma, and B) I'm a TOTAL wuss. One day, I'm hoping to be able to meet those basic minimums. I think it would be so cool. Already working on the pull ups so I can show up all the boys on the playground :wink:

Totally understand the asthma - my hubby is a sufferer. But check out the training calendar - we start pretty slow (trust me, I need slow).

Good luck on the pull ups!!
  • xsargex
    Options
    We have a 40 year old Commander who's 6-4, 230lbs (former Rugby Prop, big guy) and can out run some of the lanky 19 year olds in our unit. Its hilarious. Kinda embarrasing when you get beat by a 40 year old.
  • trenauldo
    Options
    We have a 40 year old Commander who's 6-4, 230lbs (former Rugby Prop, big guy) and can out run some of the lanky 19 year olds in our unit. Its hilarious. Kinda embarrasing when you get beat by a 40 year old.
    Sounds like someone at the battalion level or better. I was assigned to HHC 1/15 INF, 3ID in Germany back in 1987, and our battalion Lt. Colonel could smoke folks on long runs. The man was a machine, definitely a guy I wouldn't mind going to war with.
  • johnblake
    johnblake Posts: 661
    Options
    Go Navy
  • trenauldo
    Options
    Go Navy
    Somehow, I just can't seem to make out those words. Must be something wrong with the message boards or something... :wink:
  • johnblake
    johnblake Posts: 661
    Options
    Go Navy
    Somehow, I just can't seem to make out those words. Must be something wrong with the message boards or something... :wink:
    I understand most of the army guys can't read
  • trenauldo
    Options
    I understand most of the army guys can't read
    It's called "selective comprehension" my good man... and I know those are BIG words for you.

Interestingly enough since you mentioned Navy, I'm seriously considering going through the SEAL Fit and Kokoro camps that navyseals.com offers in 2010. It's something I've always wondered if I could survive (BUD/S), but I'm too old now to enlist and actually do the real thing, so this looks like the next best version (very abbreviated obviously). I've given myself 2009 to get into as great a shape as I can manage, and doing the camp next year will be my reward. It should be interesting...

Take it easy out there bro... Keep your head down.