Couch to 5k

Options

Replies

• optimaltouch
    optimaltouch Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I keep hearing about this couch to 5k program. Where exactly do you get a hold of it. Is this an mfp program or a dvd to buy or??? Thanks
  • CharityD
    CharityD Posts: 193
    Options
    I've done it and loved it. There are several different music styles available on the net to pick from. My favorite was Suz's C25K from kiss my black *kitten* .org and it was hip hop. Happy running!
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    Sounds like a good program but I loathe running. Do they have a program for fitness walking?

First off, I didn't do C25k when I started but did C210k after I'd done a few 5k's. After using that program I so wish I would have started with the 5k program! Loved it and it was so doable...I did repeat weeks if/when needed. I've graduated to a few half marathons but still use the app here and there especially when I get off track (ahem...the holidays).

I believe active.com is running a sale on their C25K app...it's 99 cents. Also, I think there are podcasts that do the same type of thing you could try for free...I don't know if they are as good as the app tho.

As far as fitness walking...you could totally use these apps for that as well (IMO). Just speed up your pace for the intervals without breaking into a jog or run. Let me tell you...race walkers are NO JOKE!
  • Pinkwaxx
    Options
    Hi can anyone tell me where i can find one of these programs. Id love to be able to run but i find it so hard and difficult to motivate myself! Any help?! x
  • samanthaperks
    Options
    Hi,
    Me and my friends started this a few weeks ago, and so far it's working - we're starting week 4 this week.
    I'm ridiculously unfit, so even week 1 was a real challenge for me. Every week I thought i'd never be able to do it, but so far I've finished every session.
    Really stick to having a day off between runs though, I did too much and tore a ligament in my ankle, which is why it's taken to long to get back to week 4...
    A great start to jogging and can't recommend enough!
  • samanthaperks
    Options
    I got mine in the blackberry app store. I know it's also available on the iPhone but i'm not sure about android. Good Luck!
  • Jenn638
    Jenn638 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I keep hearing about this couch to 5k program. Where exactly do you get a hold of it. Is this an mfp program or a dvd to buy or??? Thanks

you dont have to buy anything. if you google it. you should be able to find a website with all the intervals for each day. then you just do what it says. i use and app on my phone that allows me to play music but has a person tell me the intervals so i don't
    have to check the paper, or time my self. but its a good program and there are some groups here on mfp just for dedicated c25k people.
  • rieson
    rieson Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I did it several years ago, it does work!! I ran for quite a while afterward until "life" got in the way. Tip: Be sure to get fit at a running store for a good pair of running shoes, you will need them so you don't get shin splints.

You will do just fine!! Congrats on starting
  • Emwalker3406
    Emwalker3406 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Android has 2 a free lite version & a full version. I started this last year and LOVED it. The one mistake I made was not going to a real running shoe store to get my shoes. I got a great pair that felt nice but by week 3 I developed shin splints since the shoes & my stride are not a match. I plan on restarting this spring BUT only after getting the right shoes.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I am in a very similar program right now except mine is called 'Learn to Run'. If your program is anything like mine I am sure you will do fine. It really is great for anyone of all fitness levels! Each week we go up a minute for running...so the first week the ratio was 1:1 (run 1, walk 1), second week was 2:1, then 3:1, and this week was 4:1... Basically it is a gradual increase which makes it very easy. You have to ensure that you get in a couple of practice runs per week... I go running a minimum of 3x per week.

As of last night (our 4th week) we have already started running up to 3km's! We are more than half way to 5Kms... That is incredible! At the end of the program I should be able to run the 5km marathon.

Most important though - ensure you are fitted for a proper pair of running shoes. And by running shoes I mean running shoes...not cross trainers! You should got into a professional running store (in Canada we have the running room) and they will fit you with the proper shoe. This is very important because if you don't have the proper shoe you will experience pains and aches...

GOOD LUCK!!
  • TonyG111160
    TonyG111160 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I started this two weeks ago. I am sure it will work. I have done 4 runs now but am sticking to the week 1 schedule as I dont feel ready to move on yet.

Add me if you wish and we can share experiences and encouragement.
  • Mummsy
    Mummsy Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Totally works. Don't hesitate to give yourself two or three weeks for any one week before moving on if you need too. :wink:
  • skwildcat07
    Options
    I just started using the iphone C25K app and super excited to start running and have a plan to get there!
  • ProjectTina
    Options
    I started doing it last week, and just completed week 1. I really want to be able to enjoy running, cause right now I just find it painful when I run for 5 minutes straight... C25K seems like the perfect program for me, and I can't wait to notice improvements in my stamina :-)
  • hevans88
    hevans88 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Absolutely works .... I started it last year - ran my 1st 5K after 12 weeks.
    Now I'm on my way to a 10K ... using the follow up program - Freeway to 10K
    Good luck!
    Enjoy
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should totally do it. It is downright amazing how at the beginning, even the one-minute runs seemed virtually impossible, but by the end, I could run!! Now, about 3 months after finishing C25k, I am still running 3 days a week. Yesterday I did 4.5 miles. I had an app on my phone and the voice would tell you when to walk and run, it kept it very simple!

What is this program
  • bcr1559
    bcr1559 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    It's a great program! I started it in March of 2011and ran a 5k in May. Then I continued to run and decided to train for a half marathon that I ran in October! I think that because of the easier goals at the beginning of the program it really builds your confidents in yourself and makes it easier to stick with. Good luck!
  • jenbibi23
    Options
    Serendipity! I'm starting it tonight at the gym! I'm excited. I walked most of my first run/walk 5k race last year, and I'm ready to run my first 5k this year! WOOT!
  • EMarvie
    EMarvie Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I just downloaded it to my ipod - going to try it too! good luck
  • lovelyrose11
    lovelyrose11 Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    on week 2 so far so good and I have never ever been able to jog well.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!