Negative calorie foods!

Options

Replies

• SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    My problem is that you titled this thread "negative calorie foods" when that has been shown (read: proven) to be false. While all of those foods are certainly healthy and will benefit anyone trying to lose weight and be healthy, you should have titled the thread "healthy, low calorie foods", not "negative"... that is why everyone is reacting. no one is doubting the benefits of them

**EDIT - PS: except for dandelion. no way in HELL I'd be eating that :laugh:
  • BreakingUpWithObesity2013
    Options
    Some people are so rude on this site... its really a shame.

I couldnt agree more! Seriously....whatever happend to "if you dont have anything nice to say...dont say anything at all" Rude people!
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    And with celery (as an example) getting to 10,000 cals is going to be A LOT of celery. So have fun with that! ;-)

I actually tried this once as an experiment. I got up to about 90 or some calories and frankly I just got bored of eating...

I'm going to best that by eating 100 radishes RIGHT NOW.

*Oh wait.....100,000 RADISHES*
  • Aaloo79
    Aaloo79 Posts: 105
    Options
    Would you guys agree with "Water" as negative calorie food/drink. :tongue:
    Its gives zero calories to the body but if you drink it chilled, body needs to spend energy to warm it to body temperature, move it around to all the tissues in the body etc etc.:smile:
  • WildFlower7
    WildFlower7 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Whilst there is no such thing as a negative calorie food it seems undoubtedly clear that if you incorporate the foods included in the OP you will be able to eat a greater volume of food for less calories than say processed stuff. This will help with satiety, lessen feelings of deprivation, and make it less likely you will overeat.

I doubt anyone got fat in a real world situation because they ate too much celery...

:laugh: Thank you!
  • beebabe
    beebabe Posts: 67
    Options
    Oh gawd! Here it goes!

Abort mission! Abort mission!
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options

I couldnt agree more! Seriously....whatever happend to "if you dont have anything nice to say...dont say anything at all" Rude people!

Welcome to the Internet, dear. Real life rules don't apply.
  • buckobuckobucko
    Options
    I think if you cook it right, Unicorn meat is a negative calorie food...but that's the only one.

Good luck!

Unicorn meat is endangered! That means, if you've never had it before, you better hurry up and find some before it's all gone forever.

Anyone seen Charlie and Candy Mountain?

I magical bridge filled with hope and wonder......
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    you certainly could not gain weight eating the aforementioned foods in their original state.

Theoretically that is untrue. If you exceeded your TDEE eating those foods, even in their natural state, you would gain weight.

However, on a practical level it is high unlikely that you would, or would even be physically capable of, eating the volumes of those food required to exceed your maintenance calories if your diet consisted of only the foods listed in the OP.

I think this is true even with the stuff like fruit because even though it contains frustose this has an affect on liver glycogen which effectively creates a "stop eating" signal to your brain when glycogen stores are full. You would literally have to force yourself to eat...
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

That is a guideline for polite conversation. This isn't a polite conversation; it's an internet forum. That means there's a steady stream of misinformation getting generated, and luckily, a small percentage of knowledgeable people refuting the misinformation.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Some whole foods do require more calories to chew. You might have slightly fewer than 70 calories absorbed from a 70-calorie raw apple vs. a 70 calorie spoon of sugar, but it ain't gonna make a huge difference. However, the apple will fill you up for a lot longer.
  • WildFlower7
    WildFlower7 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    And with celery (as an example) getting to 10,000 cals is going to be A LOT of celery. So have fun with that! ;-)

I actually tried this once as an experiment. I got up to about 90 or some calories and frankly I just got bored of eating...

Bahahahaaa I'm gettin a good laugh at how worked up people are getting about eating healthy foods....ummmm, I'm confused! LOL.
  • csparon
    csparon Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I think plain celery is the only one I have ever heard of. It takes more energy to chew it than it is providing you. What's the point though unless you're crazy about the stuff?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Would you guys agree with "Water" as negative calorie food/drink. :tongue:
    Its gives zero calories to the body but if you drink it chilled, body needs to spend energy to warm it to body temperature, move it around to all the tissues in the body etc etc.:smile:

In a way, but this warming of water would be included in your maintenance calories already as MFP assumes you would be drinking, so water would just be 0 on MFP for that reason.
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Everything on that list is foods that should be eaten anyway...a calorie is a calorie...

Choose wisely.

What I don't understand is why things have to be labeled "negative calories"....just make the best choice that you can make for yourself and eat the right food and move your body.
  • taelech
    taelech Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've seen this too, and while it is not true, if it gets people to eat more healthy foods, it is doing some good. That's the purpose of a myth. Celery is the only thing that I've seen that comes close to being zero (or negative) cal: 5 calories and surely you expend 5 calories of energy chewing and digesting, right? All calories are not created equal, the nutritional calorie is not the same as the energy unit of calorie. A nutritional calorie is actually a kilocalorie in energy terms. To express them in the same terms, the energy required to warm 5 grams of water one degree Celsius is surly expended while chewing the celery, but it would take the energy required to warm 5000 grams of water one degree Celsius to overcome the energy recieved from the celery. This is an energy-only analysis and does not consider the positive effects of eating high-roughage foods like celery: speeding digestive materials through the body, making one feel more full, decreasing appetite...

In any case, its not like you are saying "Snickers will make you lose weight"! :)
  • TheNaturalNanny
    TheNaturalNanny Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    All those foods on the list are great for you so why be negative

Exactly!!! there is nothing wrong with any of these foods and true there really isnt a negative calorie. HOWEVER... what is the harm in incorporating these items into your diet. It is true that there are some foods that fill you up more (like an apple) or some foods that bulk up in your digestive track and bloat you more. Instead of being so rude about the OP, why not simply state your facts (for or against) and move on.

negative calories or not, the body needs a balanced diet. so regardless it really doesnt matter.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

Bahahahaaa I'm gettin a good laugh at how worked up people are getting about eating healthy foods....ummmm, I'm confused! LOL.

You're not confused. You're embarrassed that people called you out on the negative calorie thing so you're trying to act like they're the ones with a problem. NO ONE is disputing that fruits and vegetables are healthful, good foods to eat. They've only said that you must count their calories.
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Instead of being so rude about the OP, why not simply state your facts (for or against) and move on.
    I did that, and conveniently enough OP has not responded to my post. The only ones responded to have been more "aggressive". The problem isn't with the foods listed, its with the inaccuracies of labeling a food "negative calorie".
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Simply not true.