Is a flat tummy possible?

Options
Hi, my goal weight is 1 pound away. I based it on my height. It seems the healthy weight range for someone who is a 5'3" female with a small frame is 111-124. (According to http://www.healthchecksystems.com/heightweightchart.htm) I was at 126 when I started focusing on healthy eating and working out and made 115 my goal. It took a long time for some reason but now I am at 116. I don't want to be down to 111 because I remember being 110 in college and feeling I was too thin, didn't like the way it looked, especially in clothes. So the number 115 makes me happy, but I still do not have a flat stomach. Is the only way to make it flat to keep losing weight or can I eat certain things and do certain workouts to get a flat tummy? I know you can't spot reduce but if anyone has been in a similar situation where they are thin all over except a round lower tummy and found a way to make it flat without becoming sickly thin please advise :)

Replies

• ottawagirl613
    ottawagirl613 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    strength/circuit training if you aren't already.. ive gotten to my goal weight before doing mainly cardio based exercises/calorie reduction and still had that "skinny fat" look with a very soft mid section.. now im circuit training with free weights (and calorie reduction) and have noticed a significant difference.. especially in my mid section.. good luck!
  • akadrea
    akadrea Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Some people will say eating "clean" will help you lose your tummy, or working on core strength. I started a high protein diet and heavy lifting a few weeks ago and this is what I found....

this was a 2 week difference and about 4 lbs
    for reference, I'm 5ft 5 in and weighing in around 125 right now.

60e427f2-c328-27ea.jpgc248bb52.jpg
  • sarahgilmore
    sarahgilmore Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    weights/strength training.
    Will reduce your BF%
  • katy898
    katy898 Posts: 12
    Options
    I found that my stomach was bigger when I ate more carbs. It wasn't that I had gained weight it was just bloated. I eat fewer carbs and its now its more flat. Easy adjustment (for me) and huge aesthetic results. Losing a few pounds by excersing more seems to help too.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Strenght training and high protein diet was able to do this after 6 pregnancies

6443643851_b54111feda_m.jpg
    Photo by yanicka, on Flickr
  • chrisc16
    Options
    Remember, it's not possible to spot lose fat - you lose it all over, so be patient. It'll come off. Slow to go on and slow to come off!
  • JSMSDSAS05
    JSMSDSAS05 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in the answer too. I see that you are saying strength training.............do u mean using the ab machines specifically or do you mean overall strength training for your whole body? Thanks.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in the answer too. I see that you are saying strength training.............do u mean using the ab machines specifically or do you mean overall strength training for your whole body? Thanks.

Overall strength training!!! Lift heavy (that is relative, but it should be challenging for you) Ab machines will not help you lose the fat.

Check this out
    http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • sarahgilmore
    sarahgilmore Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    ideally, overall.

Bodyweight exercises are good if you can't do the gym thing.
  • silentnacht
    Options
    If you work on your core strength you will definitely see improvements: your skin will tighten and you will get some muscle definition which helps to reduce the poochy appearance that so many of us are plagued with. I try to get a variety of crunches in every night, and I also practice martial arts, which is great for core strength. I also make sure to keep my sodium low and my protein high.

It takes a long time, but you'll get there.
  • wdruker
    wdruker Posts: 77 Member
    Options

Did you have normal deliveries? My doctor told me I would never have a flat stomach again after 2 c-sections because after the second one, I still had a little "roll" over the scar. She said I would need surgery if I ever wanted a flat stomach again. I sorta gave up after that. But if there is truly a way to get a flat stomach without surgery I want to know how to do it.
  • chgold
    chgold Posts: 1
    Options
    I have learned that toxins, which our environment is full of, is the cause of stomach and waist fat. Our liver, which is taxed, produces fat to encapcilate the toxins to protect our other organs. It is the stored toxins and fats that cause us to regain the weight we worked so hard to lose. Rid the body of the toxins and replenish it with the right nutrients to gain lean muscle, with good proteins, and you can easily get rid of the bulge and regain the flat stomach. I released 9 pounds and 20 ins in six weeks and I keep reducing the inches. Now my goal is to gain a 6 pak by my 63rd. I'm on my way.
  • skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Good question.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Some people just don't have a flat stomach. I have a pooch right below my bellybutton that never goes away...I'm also 5'3, I was 107 lbs once & still had the pooch. [& I was WAY too thin at the time. Eek] I'm just destined to have my little pooch there, it's not very noticeable anyway. Learn to embrace whichever part of your stomach isn't flat! & dressing to hide the problem area is always helpful too. Plus, it's probably not as bad as you think it is. Were all harder on ourselves
  • Jennical
    Jennical Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    This is interesting. Thanks for sharing.
  • SwimKitty
    SwimKitty Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Overall strength training!!! Lift heavy (that is relative, but it should be challenging for you) Ab machines will not help you lose the fat.

Check this out
    http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
    [/quote]

Thanks for this link, very helpful.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I have learned that toxins, which our environment is full of, is the cause of stomach and waist fat. Our liver, which is taxed, produces fat to encapcilate the toxins to protect our other organs. It is the stored toxins and fats that cause us to regain the weight we worked so hard to lose. Rid the body of the toxins and replenish it with the right nutrients to gain lean muscle, with good proteins, and you can easily get rid of the bulge and regain the flat stomach. That is what I did and now my goal is to gain a 6 pak by my 63rd. I'm on my way.

You're joking right? Toxins is not THE cause of stomach and waist fat...That's absurd to say. Having less toxins in your body is definitely beneficial to your health...But it is not the reason for fat in the stomach/waist area. Generally it's the extra food & sitting on the couch all day that are the cause & sometimes certain medications. That's just kind of obvious. -.-
  • Skymochalite
    Skymochalite Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Sigh, this has been my lifelong dream...I don't have any memories having a flat tummy, even as a kid :(.
  • bjs06
    bjs06 Posts: 316 Member
    Options

you're officially my inspiration.
  • LCFulmer
    LCFulmer Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I'm noticing my tummy getting flatter the more I include strength training.... Cathe Frederich STS training is intense. I also make sure I contract my abs during my cardio.