Reaching 1200 calories

Options

Replies

• hagamivida
    Options
    I am in the same boat. I do eat healthy, I do exercise, and I know how to eat properly. I just do not have the appetite to consume more than 800 or so calories per day. Getting to 1,000 is difficult and requires me doubling up on protein drink mixes for the heck of it -like today. I think the problem we are having, or at least me, is a small appetite. I have been like this for several years, now, so don't think I have never heard someone explain BMR, starvation mode, or anything else said in the above comments, I just don't know how to fix it.

People tend to tell you what you are doing wrong, like you don't know you need to eat more, and completely ignore ideas for helping you eat more of your healthy food (to the OP: Lean Cuisine is NOT. Sorry).

So if anyone would like to share tips on how to stimulate appetite, that would be lovely. Otherwise... I don't want to hear more parroting of the same information I already know.
  • hagamivida
    Options
    Personally, doubling up in my food would be awful. It is force feeding myself and it is just a crap experience. Maybe others can do it, but I don't seem to be able to.
  • kelfromhell
    kelfromhell Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Adding a healthy fat can add some calories quickly....a serving of almonds? A little olive oil on your veggies? Your body needs fat, indulge in a little.....also,are you working out....work out enough and you'll start craving more food!
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Did you increase your protein percentage?

When I was losing weight, I swapped my % for proteins and carbs so I was at about 50% proteins. That helped me eat < 1000 cals per day and feel hungry only 5 times in 7 months.

Things worked well.

http://cbeinfo.net/weight.htm

Good luck to you,
  • hagamivida
    Options
    People use this to monitor their weight, (maintaining, gaining, and losing). Just FYI.

And personally, I got fat from medication making my thyroid all but shut down.
  • LittleMissAngi
    LittleMissAngi Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Eat more natural and organic. No processed foods. Up your intake to 1400-1600.
  • Kassieisproud
    Options
    Try eatting healthy foods that are dense in calories like almond butter bananas or both :D also avacados whole wheat pasta and brown rice
  • BRFMcKay
    BRFMcKay Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I feel like the OP is/was a troll. Obviously we all know that eating below 1200 calories constantly is never a good thing, if we can control it. So why ask that on this forum?

And hagamivida, I am so sorry about your thyroid. And you aren't the only fat vegetarian. I'm a fat vegan!
  • kmozymoz
    kmozymoz Posts: 187
    Options
    I am having the same problem, but part of mine is due to a crappy digestive system that's been out of whack since last May. You might take a look at what kind of foods you're eating and figure out what makes you feel the best and what makes your stomach feel unhappy/not want more food. I find that when I eat more fresh foods (since I'm on the go a lot and tend to go for frozen, like Lean Cuisine), I feel better and more inclined to eat more.
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I would say to put yourself on a schedule - my schedule was really screwed up the last couple of years so I know that giving my body a certain time every day to expect food helped me to regain my appetite.

You CAN do a 1200 calorie diet using Lean Cuisine for two meals per day. You may have to switch things up a little bit though.

A typical day could be something like:

Breakfast
    Chobani Greek Yogurt - Lemon (140 cal) with 1/2 cup granola (140 cal)

Morning Snack
    28 Blue Diamond Wasabi Soy Almonds (170 cal)

Lunch
    Lean Cuisine - Beef & Broccoli (270 cal)

Afternoon Snack
    3oz fresh blackberries (half a package - 45 cal) with 2 tbsp whipped cream (25 cal)

Dinner
    Lean Cuisine - Tuscan Style Vegetable Lasagna (320)

Dessert
    1/2 cup Dryer's Fat Free Frozen Yogurt Vanilla (90)

Grand total: 1200 calories.
  • xealia
    xealia Posts: 11
    Options
    "starvation mode" is where you are not eating the basic amounts your body and brain NEEDS to be happy. Some people its 1000 calories so people it is 1600 some like that huge swimmer guy in the olympics its 4000. It depends on what you are doing during the day. If you are an invalid (or a preschooler) then 800 calories are ok. But for an active adult woman that is not safe. Your body is screaming that it is starving but you have ignored the hunger signals for so long your body doesn't know your hungry anymore. So anytime it gets anything remotely fatty it stores it away on your stomach, butt, boobs, thighs for other days when you only eat 600 calories or what ever. The thing is when your body is in starvation mode it will eat your muscles and brain, heart and organs before it will eat the last of your fat stores. This is very dangerious and why 200lb anorexics/bulimics DIE! You got some sound advice here eat MORE nutrition things:

1. Ditch anything that says low fat, non fat, diet, lean
    2. Go for organic whole grain breads/pastas/crackers, nuts, olive oils, meats, veggies, dairy products etc...
    3. Eat fruits not drink juices
    4. Tofu fruit malts are FANTASTIC and full of great things.
    5. 5-6 small meals through out the day. Don't drink anything an hour before your meals. It might be filling you up too much.
    6. Increase your exercise it will help make you more hungry.
    7. get plenty of sleep 7-9 hours a night.
  • hypersensitiveb
    hypersensitiveb Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I just had to chug a 350 cal clinical strength ensure to get to my calories for the end of the day. Guess that's what I get for taking the dog for a walk lol.
  • ashleyhardy08
    Options
    I'm a full tine college student as well as working a Full time job. So I don't really have time to cook or the money to buy a lot of food either.
  • ashleyhardy08
    Options
    Ok...this is a fat girl speaking...how in the hell do you have issues eating 1200 calories? ? Hello we had to eat a **** ton more than that to get where we are! Eat REAL FOOD!

Well I'm not a fat girl. I'm trying to lose 2 lbs a week and according to MFP, it says to only have a daily calorie intake of 1200 so why should I eat more than that when I'm stuffing myself already just to reach 1200?
  • ashleyhardy08
    Options
    Did you increase your protein percentage?

When I was losing weight, I swapped my % for proteins and carbs so I was at about 50% proteins. That helped me eat < 1000 cals per day and feel hungry only 5 times in 7 months.

Things worked well.

http://cbeinfo.net/weight.htm

Good luck to you,
    I've increase my protein intake by a lot! I've been eating a lot of chicken breasts and usually have a protein bar every day as a snack
  • khollyk
    khollyk Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Low Cal does not necessarily = healthy.

I occasionally eat a Lean Cuisine if I'm in a crunch, but I wouldn't really say they're "healthy". Sure, they're healthier than fast food, but they have a lot of sodium. Try eating a turkey wrap, salad, veggie soup.... Get in a glass of skim or 1% milk to fill up your calcium requirements while adding some calories....there are plenty of options. 1200 calories shouldn't be difficult to attain.
  • ashleyhardy08
    Options
    If you can't eat more than 800 calories in a day, how in the hell did you ever get fat enough to think you needed to be on MFP?

I didn't start counting calories yesterday. I gained about 10lbs from my birth control and being away at college hasn't helped me to lose weight either. So I've conditioned myself to eat meals that are small yet satisfying even though they are low calorie. Say what you will but from spending all day on campus and In the library and all night at work I really don't have the time to cook a meal unlike some of you. I'm not a stay at home parent I don't have the luxury of having a lot of money to spend on food. I have a meal plan and a monthly budget. And I'm not trying to lose 30-40-50 lbs. Just 10. That may not be a lot to you but to me it is.
  • malliexo
    malliexo Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    The sodium from lean cusines can make you feel bloated and then make you not want to eat. This could be why you're not reaching your daily goal.

You could have IBS too. I suffer from it and many days I feel sick after eating but have learned to push through it.

Chocolate milk is a great way to add up calories. Just buy nesquick and use skim milk. It's my favorite go to drink after working out and it easily gives me 100-140 calories depending on the size of the glass.

8857766.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • ashleyhardy08
    Options
    I feel like the OP is/was a troll. Obviously we all know that eating below 1200 calories constantly is never a good thing, if we can control it. So why ask that on this forum?

And hagamivida, I am so sorry about your thyroid. And you aren't the only fat vegetarian. I'm a fat vegan!

Smh. So by stating that my OP was a joke, why even waste your time coming here then? I'm asking a legitimate question to people who are also dieting.
  • ashleyhardy08
    Options
    "starvation mode" is where you are not eating the basic amounts your body and brain NEEDS to be happy. Some people its 1000 calories so people it is 1600 some like that huge swimmer guy in the olympics its 4000. It depends on what you are doing during the day. If you are an invalid (or a preschooler) then 800 calories are ok. But for an active adult woman that is not safe. Your body is screaming that it is starving but you have ignored the hunger signals for so long your body doesn't know your hungry anymore. So anytime it gets anything remotely fatty it stores it away on your stomach, butt, boobs, thighs for other days when you only eat 600 calories or what ever. The thing is when your body is in starvation mode it will eat your muscles and brain, heart and organs before it will eat the last of your fat stores. This is very dangerious and why 200lb anorexics/bulimics DIE! You got some sound advice here eat MORE nutrition things:

1. Ditch anything that says low fat, non fat, diet, lean
    2. Go for organic whole grain breads/pastas/crackers, nuts, olive oils, meats, veggies, dairy products etc...
    3. Eat fruits not drink juices
    4. Tofu fruit malts are FANTASTIC and full of great things.
    5. 5-6 small meals through out the day. Don't drink anything an hour before your meals. It might be filling you up too much.
    6. Increase your exercise it will help make you more hungry.
    7. get plenty of sleep 7-9 hours a night.

I understand what your saying and I'm not trying to starve myself at all. It's not a healthy way to diet. But when my body doesn't show signs that I'm hungry, I'm not going to eat, if that makes any sense. So are you suggesting that I continue to eat even though I'm not hungry?