TrophyWifeSass Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    but i want to eat healthy.

so ditch the lean cuisine.

This.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Just a quick FYI that this post will not go well.
    So on with it...

Most 1200 calorie diets fall below your BMR.
    This is bad.
    You lose lean mass as well as fat.

Boost the calories up to 1600 a day and lose the same weight at a more sustainable level and you not only get better nutrients but your energy levels will be high enough to get the best from your training.

As you lose weight and improve lean mass you will be able to eat more.

1600 calories for a woman? That seems really high?1

Most women who are over 5'5" and work out 3 times a week have a TDEE of appx 2500 calories or higher depending on their weight and body fat.
    Take 20% from that to lose weight.
    Drop further to lose lean mass.....=(
  • cakeums
    cakeums Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    So on with it...

This is bad.

Boost the calories up to 1600 a day and lose the same weight at a more sustainable level and you not only get better nutrients but your energy levels will be high enough to get the best from your training.

MFP has me set at 1830 for my net, which is in line with the metabolic breath testing my doctor gave me. I am a woman. I am losing weight. If I eat 1200 a day I don't lose...tried it in the past and it simply doesn't work for longer than a week or two.
  • cakeums
    Options
    To the OP, don't assume that because someone is a stay-at-home-mom they have money, or time to cook extravagant meals. I am a SAHM who works at night on the weekends (well, I'm a student right now too, so even more poor than usual since I am a non-matric student and cannot get aid or loans), so I don't have a ton of money or time for cooking. I still manage to eat healthy foods. Go to the store and get some apples, red grapes, celery, baby carrots, bananas, oranges, and so on. Buy either chicken breasts or nut butters and eggs for protein. Get some whole grain bread (doesn't cost more than white), some frozen veggies, and so on. I bet you can get everything you need for the week for under $40. I can shop for a family of 4 for under $125 a week, and buy wholesome foods.
  • TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    So on with it...

This is bad.

I hope you're kidding.
  • fearlessbetz
    fearlessbetz Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    So on with it...

This is bad.

Actually that is on the lower end for a woman.
  • cakeums
    Options
    You will probably save money over that Lean Cuisine crap too. And if you were eating 2500 cal/day before, you don't need to cut your intake to under half that. Your body won't know what to do with itself! Try going to 1600-1800 a day and I bet you will see a difference. It isn't hard to up your calories even if you don't have much of an appetite - just eat calorie-dense foods like nuts, cheeses, add some olive oil to your veggies, etc.
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    just eat normally for a couple days. it'll boost your appetite.

also, nothing frozen and microvable is especially nutritious imo.
    just eat a normal balanced diet with lots of protein instead.
  • kikik817
    Options
    New to this site...I find eating fruits, veggies, lean proteins does make it difficult to get 1200 calories! However, I found making a Chobani smoothie and having an ounce of pistachios or almonds for snacks and cooking with 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil helps me get my calories in. Even if the number on the scale is slower going down I am definitely losing inches, clothes fit much looser! So, my advice is as long as you are eating enough fruits and veggies getting some healthy fats in your diet should notice a difference in HOW YOU FEEL! Best of luck and hang in there!
  • jazzalea
    jazzalea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem!.... I'm having a really hard time meeting my 1200 calories and that's before I work out for the day. I KNOW I'm burning muscle as well as fat and thats bad.... I've been resorting to having a chocolate bar, or potato chips to boost my calories quickly and I know that's not good either but the thought of eating heavier foods really stresses me....

I'm now trying to add cheese and eggs back in to give myself proteins and I'm adding fruits to give myself that sugar rush and they just sit better in my tummy. Also funny enough, Diet shakes made with whole milk are a good way for me to get an extra "meal" in.

Just some suggestions
  • ChRiStA_1983
    ChRiStA_1983 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I personally will never understand the person who says that they're having difficulty reaching 1200 calories per day....Let's be honest. None of us became overweight because we had difficulty eating 1200 calories per day. We were eating well OVER that amount, which is what caused us to be overweight in the first place......

Eat more healthy food. If you're having difficulty meeting your 1200 calorie goal, eat raw whole cashews. 1/4 of a cup is 170 calories; therefore, 1/3 of a cup is 211 calories, and 1/2 a cup is 320. That's a pretty easy (and healthy) way to increase your calorie intake without feeling too full....
  • llamalauren
    llamalauren Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    ditto that
  • catic
    catic Posts: 156
    Options
    So on with it...

This is bad.

Most women who are over 5'5" and work out 3 times a week have a TDEE of appx 2500 calories or higher depending on their weight and body fat.
    Take 20% from that to lose weight.
    Drop further to lose lean mass.....=(
    Teach me, What the heck is a TDEE?
  • llamalauren
    Options
    as do i
  • jazzalea
    jazzalea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    So on with it...

This is bad.

Well Then MFP has some explaining to do because that's what it set for me when I filled out the diet profile thingy mcgee :)
  • catic
    catic Posts: 156
    Options
    So on with it...

This is bad.

I hope you're kidding.

Nope, I'm new to this, I obiovusly am still learning! Why does MFP say 1200? How much should I eat a day then?
  • llamalauren
    Options
    thank you :)
  • cakeums
    Options
    So on with it...

This is bad.

Well Then MFP has some explaining to do because that's what it set for me when I filled out the diet profile thingy mcgee :)

What do you have your lifestyle and your pounds per week set at? For example, mine is lightly active and I want to lose 1lb/week. I currently weigh 201lbs and get 1830/day.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above poster about ditching the LC. Also, try introducing more natural, whole foods that have more nutrition versus the stripped diet-type non fat, low caloric foods

this, double this ^