For the Ladies - Mirena?

Options
Hello, Ladies! I have a question. Actually, a few. First, does anyone, or has anyone in the past, had a Mirena IUD? If you did, did you notice weight gain? When you got it out, did you notice it was easier to lose weight?? Any insight would help!

Replies

• striveforhealthy
    striveforhealthy Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I've had Mirena in for almost three years and it has no affect on my weight gain or losing. I've been pretty satisfied with it, overall. I get occasional cramping here and there...

If you are worried about weight gain than I suggest asking for the hormone-free IUD. =)
  • EvelynForsyth
    EvelynForsyth Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I am due to get this fitted in a month or so and was wondering this.
    I have been having the Depo-Provera and think i have gained weight with it, apparently it is common to gain about a stone/14lbs so can't wait to get off it. I have been on it for 3 years though and am keen to try something else which is likely not to affect my weight. My friends would never use it due to the weight gain factor!
  • EvelynForsyth
    EvelynForsyth Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I've just googled it and these are the common side effects

Very common (affect more than 1 in 10 people)
    Change in menstrual bleeding, such as spotting, lighter bleeding or stopping of bleeding.
    Development of fluid filled sacks (cysts) in the ovaries.
    Common (affect between 1 in 10 and 1 in 100 people)
    Depression.
    Nervousness.
    Headache.
    Decreased sex drive.
    Abdominal pain.
    Nausea.
    Acne.
    Back or pelvic pain.
    Painful periods.
    Breast pain or tenderness.
    Vaginal inflammation or discharge.
    Weight gain. - BOO
  • hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Hey, I have had the mirena coil for 5 years. Best thing EVER! NO weight gain. It has no proven affect on weight but it can cause people to have a larger appetite. It did with me but I got over it.
  • xBeautifulBreakdown
    xBeautifulBreakdown Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    My weight gain was not because of the Mirena, but I DID get horrible acne. I never had acne a day in my life until I got the Mirena. I had it taken out a couple months ago because it was so bad and my face is starting to clear up now. I am thinking of trying Paragard bc it has no hormones.
  • AmandaCaswell1982
    AmandaCaswell1982 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I love my Mirena- I gained weight while on it, but I don't think it had anything to do with it. Some people have reactions like change in sex drive, acne, breat tenderness, etc. I work at an OBGYN and see almost 50/50- some LOVE it, some HATE it. I had mine inserted postpartum and got a few periods, haven't had another in more than 2 years! LOVE IT! ;) Good luck!
  • grobbygru
    grobbygru Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Had one fitted a month ago - have had reduced losses in the last 3 weeks - but mind you I wouldn't of been weighing as often (weekly) had I not gone in a challenge.
    I am looking forward to it kicking in and me never having that TOM until I get to menopause!! Woo hoo - hopefully it'll never be again.
  • claroj
    claroj Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Had a mirena 4 mths ago - i put it off for years because i was worried about the horror stories of gaining loads of weight. Haven't gained any weight and had no periods at all for last 3 months! result! best thing I EVER did!
  • jennywren1971
    jennywren1971 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Have had a Mirena for five years and due to get it replaced soon. No weight gain for me with it. No side effects for me either, periods have all but stopped. I get a bit of spotting on the day my period is due and for maybe a day or so and then that's it. I still get Pms and a bit of slowed weight loss at that time of the month but that is normal for me. I love love love it. Best thing I ever did.
  • Jessica0982
    Jessica0982 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I have Paragard which is the one. One has hormone and the other does not. I think Paragard does not have hormone in it. (I could be wrong ??)

Either way, I didn't gain weight with mine. I've had it almost 5 years now. Best thing I ever did....
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    i have the mirena. i was big when i got it in, and didn't notice any gain, if anyting maybe 1-2 kg, but i wouldn't attribute my gain to the mirena. i was eating badly and not exercising.

i have lost a lot of weight while still on it and have no intention of getting rid of it. i love it. i love not having periods!!!
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I have had mirena for 7 months and I havent noticed any weight gain (I am actively trying to lose weight through healthy diet & exercise, so I have lost weight)

I have tried the pill, the implant and the depo provera in the past and mirena is by far the best form of BC for me. I havent had a period since it was fitted 7 months ago :o))))))) !!!
  • healthymommy2pc
    Options
    I can't speak to the weight gain - just started actively trying to lose and have lost about 6 lbs. I had mine put in about a month ago, and I've spotted on and off the entire time. I hope that stops soon because I have no issues with it so far other than that!
  • jennrichhartle
    Options
    The spotting generally stops in a couple of months. I've had mine for 2 years and I really wish I would have done it sooner. No weight gain, only slight cramping occasionally. Very easy to manage!
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Did it hurt at all having it put in and does hit hurt to remove? I am on Depo and while i love it I have definitely gained weight.
  • pfields4
    pfields4 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have had Mirena for 5 years without any weight gain. Will have it replaced with a new one today. It's a great option for me.
  • Wottie72
    Wottie72 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks for posting this I'm due to have it fitted next Tuesday, I have a few friends that say its great but one of my close friends had it fitted and she complained about it non stop saying its made her moody and put weight on. Not being horrible to her she is a bit of a wimp when it comes to things but I need to find out for myself. Its good to see your positives. Thanks again
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I had the Mirena inserted three months ago. It is uncomfortable to have inserted, but not bad. It helps if you have had children, your uterus is able to handle it better. Take some pain reliever before you go to your appointment, that will help. Honestly, I did notice a tiny bit of weight gain after insertion, but nothing to be concerned about. Progesterone can stimulate appetite, that is why women may say they gain weight....but it is because they are eating more, not some indirect result of the contraception (same thing with depo). I love my mirena, glad I got it.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Hello, Ladies! I have a question. Actually, a few. First, does anyone, or has anyone in the past, had a Mirena IUD? If you did, did you notice weight gain? When you got it out, did you notice it was easier to lose weight?? Any insight would help!

Yes! My weight losses stopped and then I started gaining (and CANNOT LOSE) almost immediately after I got mine. All my blood work is normal, so I can only deduce it's the Mirena. :-(

The website says this is an issue in less than 5% of Mirena users, but it is noted as a side effect. It has the same hormone as the shot.
  • emmakey712
    Options
    The hormones, as I'm told, are local and not systemic, meaning they shouldn't cause weight gain because they are not traveling through your entire body. I've had Mirena for 6 months and like it a lot. Light or no periods, no daily pill, etc. I do have painful cramping from time to time.

As long as you're burning more calories than you're taking in, you will lose weight. Period.