TYRING TO LIKE FISH--IDEAS???

Options
13»

Replies

• megansoriano
    Options
    I use to HATE fish. . . and now my favorite food is sushi. haha. I like to bake a salmon fillet in the oven swimming in lemon juice and lemon pepper seasoning.
  • TinaMarie2012
    TinaMarie2012 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I too am not a fish eater. However, with my fiance's support I can now eat talapia. He bakes it with small amount of butter, little seasoning and a drop of lemon juice. I can only eat it because there is not a fishy taste to it, at all - at least to me. Best of luck. Try different things. Thats the fun part of trying to change your lifestyle (eating habits) you can to try different things. =)
  • SaSSyhasCurls
    Options
    White fish (ex. Swai/Basa, Flounders, etc) have low odor, and you can always fillet your own, or buy them already fillet. Lemon juice take away the fishy small of a lot of fishes.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Buy fish fillets so there are no bones.

Do not overcook fish, this is usually what creates the fishy taste. Salmon cooked medium well or rarer (more rare??) will have very little fishy taste, but if you overcook it, it will.

White fish, such as cod, haddock, orange roughy, tilapia, etc., is geverally milder in taste, and work very well with sauces.

Try fish in a casserole or soup.
  • kenton1952
    Options
    I don't dislike fish, but I don't crave it either. So this old Portuguese recipe that dresses it up is good for me, too. I usually buy cod loins. To prepare, slice and then steam a waxy potato (red or white) and then layer it into the bottom of a small baking dish. Top with the cod loin. Separately prepare a sauce- in a teaspoon of olive oil sautee some onion and garlic, some chopped green pepper and 2-3 tomatoes (canned or fresh depending on the season). Add any herbs you want- basil is good- and a few chopped black olives. Spoon the sauce over the fish and then bake it until the fish is cooked through. The sauce is nicely seasoned so it disguises the taste of the cod beneath. And it's a one dish meal- you've got your carb, protein, fat and vegetables all on one plate.
    Good luck!
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I NEED HELP FOR FISH!!
    I recently had a heart attack and a need to incorporate fish into my diet but not a fish eater. I hate messing with bones and need to keep the fishy smell to a minimum any delicious ideas for me to try--willing to try anything.

The Fishy Smell/Taste should only be present if the fish isn't fresh. Buy the freshest fish you can possible find. Preferably never frozen and even caught that day if you're in an area where that's possible...you'll learn to love it.
  • JondaC
    JondaC Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Tilapia is def. the way to go! It is a very un-fishy fish. I never liked fish before, then for some reason, I tried tilapia, and liked it. The more I ate it, the more I liked it. Now I LOVE it (even crave it), and it has lead me to trying other fish, such as salmon, and catfish, which I now like as well. You can get it deboned. Try it with some blackening spice, or lemon pepper, and bake in the oven...super yummy!
  • MaryD4900
    MaryD4900 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    If you are not a fish eater, I would start with a mild white fish like tilapia. It does not have a "fishy" flavor. I like to buy big bags of individually frozen fillets so I don't have to worry about cleaning the fish. They thaw out in like two minutes if you run warm water over it, and can be pan fried in less than 10 minutes... Easy and quick weeknight meal.

I like to pan fry my tilapia with a little olive oil. I season with garlic powder and lemon pepper seasoning. Cook about 4 mins on each side. When it's done, squeeze some fresh lemon juice on it. Really good if you sautee some onions and spinach with the fish.

Here's a good recipe for baked parmesan tilapia: http://www.rachaelraymag.com/Recipes/rachael-ray-magazine-recipe-search/five-ingredient-recipes/parmesan-crusted-tilapia
  • Run4UrHealth
    Run4UrHealth Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Dolphin, tilapia, shrimp, scallops...those are my favorites.

Not too fishy tasting and easy to cook a ton of different ways.

Dolphin???

I think they are referring to Mahi Mahi! :)