What eating plan has helped you lose at least 30 lbs?

Options
I'm curious how many are using the basic MFP recommendations versus low carb or some other custom variation to successfully lose large amounts of fat. Thanks for your input!

Replies

• busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I've never done low-carb or no-fat or anything like that, just simply watch my macros on MFP and stay under calories while going over on protein each week. Works for me thus far (18lbs gone in 2.5 months).
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I eat normal food. That's all. No magic eating plan. All those magic eating plans just trick you into eating a calorie deficit, so eat the foods you like, just watch your calorie totals.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I eat crisps. I eat chocolate. I have chicken legs with skin ON.

I create my calorie deficit, hit my macros, and exercise 6 times a week.

And thats it. No tricks, no pills (Other than my supplements).
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I lost 5lb really fast on a low-carb plan, but it was unsustainable in the long term for someone who enjoys bread and starches! Instead, I am tracking overall calories, fiber, protein and sugar, and working my way toward "cleaner" eating which IS a sustainable eating style so long as I allow for planned treats and special occasions. :)
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I cut out white flour and anything with processed sugar. I cut my carbs to 130 when I was losing and 150 now.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    The only thing I've cut out food wise is pre-packaged/processed foods. I've lost 70 lbs by eating whole foods, counting cals/macros and exercise.
  • rr10speed
    Options
    I just started last week, am watching what I eat as far as no junk, but eating 3 meals a day and a couple of snacks, watching the calorie counter on MFP & trying to get to the gym atleast 4 x a week. This is into my second week, so far so good as far as losing, lost 6 pounds the first week, we will see the rest of the weeks as the old saying goes " that was probably mostly water weight"
    15256107.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Straight up MFP. Calories in, calories out. Worked for me.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I eat normal food. That's all. No magic eating plan. All those magic eating plans just trick you into eating a calorie deficit, so eat the foods you like, just watch your calorie totals.

Exactly. I have lost almost 30 pounds by eating smaller portions. That's it. I still drink wine, have dessert, etc (not every day, of course).
  • m2kh
    m2kh Posts: 17
    Options
    I've done a bunch of different diets in the past but what has really worked for me is the basic MFP recommendations. I try to eat close to 1200 but try to at least not go over 1400 calories. I also really watch my fat, sodium and sugar. Plus, I exercise around 4 days a week and try to burn 600-700 calories (I don't eat my calories back). I've been averaging 10 lbs. a month.

I also find it helpful to pretty much have the same thing everyday for breakfast and lunch and then save my calories mroe for dinner with the family.
  • jsteffen80
    Options
    Honestly, simply being aware of my calories in and calories out has been the deal breaker for me. I just try to avoid calorie dense foods and plan my meals out ahead of time. Even when eating out I figure out my calories before I eat (even if it is just an approximation, it holds me accountable).
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Calories in, calories out.
    I try to keep my meals at a ratio of 1 serving protein, 1 serving carb, 2 servings fruits/veggies (sometimes only 1 at lunch time). I wokout 6 days a week.
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    The ONLY thing I've changed about my eating habits is portion size. And exercising on occasion. (Less than I should be at the moment, but I'll get back into it.)
  • sandown12
    sandown12 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I always do weightwatchers old plan not propoints
    I always lose 42lbs in 5 months x
  • Cosmic_Unicorn
    Cosmic_Unicorn Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Plan? Eating less and exercising more. I eat mostly healthy but I indulge too on cookies or chips or beer and wine. Everything in moderation is fine. Cutting out almost all processed and packaged food has really helped.
  • sandown12
    sandown12 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I've done a bunch of different diets in the past but what has really worked for me is the basic MFP recommendations. I try to eat close to 1200 but try to at least not go over 1400 calories. I also really watch my fat, sodium and sugar. Plus, I exercise around 4 days a week and try to burn 600-700 calories (I don't eat my calories back). I've been averaging 10 lbs. a month.

I also find it helpful to pretty much have the same thing everyday for breakfast and lunch and then save my calories mroe for dinner with the family.

Great reply :)
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Just eating what I want within my calorie budget works for me. I've made some changes (adding more veggies, cutting out greasy chips) for my health and overall wellbeing. Weight loss is a lot simpler than people make it out to be. You don't need a fad diet or low carb to drop pounds. Just eat less than your body burns.

Of course, exercise including weight training will make you look better and feel better, but it's not necessary for strict weight loss.
  • AdrienneKaren
    AdrienneKaren Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I like the basic recommendations. You get all the nutrients you need while getting healthy. Low carb is generally not good for you because your brain needs carbs to function. The only thing I try to stay somewhat low on is sugar. Not sugars from fruits and vegetables, but added or synthetic sugars.
  • carrie145
    carrie145 Posts: 297
    Options
    Thanks for posting this question. I really need some tips as well!
  • Cr8tive_Ingenuity
    Options
    Someone mentioned calories in / calories out..that is so true. I try to aim for 1200 calories but if i eat 1500 calories i dont worry about it and some days, (once every 2 weeks or so) i eat 2500 calories, but i also fast once a month for 24 hours. The reason is I keep my body guessing. I do like low carb diets but that doesnt mean 20grams of carbs a day..you can eat 50 grams of carbs a day, but healthy carbs. the reason for me at least why i try not to eat too many carbs is that i have a carb addiction. I know if i snack on crap,,im gonna crave more crap. I do stay away from bleached flour etc. Chicken and fish and lean pork are my main staple. Eggwhites and whole wheat toast for breakfast. I do change it up every so often and might have a bagel. Yes bagels are bad but once in a blue moon oh well. I lost 38 lbs and I do cardio everyday. Cardio is important as it raises your BMR.