Almond Milk vs Soymilk?

Options
Which is "better" for you?

Is one easier on the stomach than the other?

Any opinions or studies?

Replies

• daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    For those with thyroid issues, almond milk is a better choice because soy has been shown to negatively affect that. Otherwise, it's really a matter of taste.

I happen to prefer almond milk because I find it creamier and tastier than soymilk, but that's just me!
  • BodyRockerVT
    BodyRockerVT Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Soy affects the thyriod? Hmm curious. I didn't know that.
  • luvmybaby333
    Options
    Soy effects all sorts of things. I stick with almond milk. :)
  • pixiexxgirl
    Options
    I don really like the taste of almond milk, I prefer 8th continent soy milk.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options

If you have a healthy thyroid it's nothing to worry about, but those with thyroid disorders should monitor their soy intake.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options

If you have a healthy thyroid it's nothing to worry about, but those with thyroid disorders should monitor their soy intake.

And for those with thyroid issues, it is only raw soy that is the problem, not cooked soy like in soy milk.

For me, I'm allergic to Almond, so that's out for me. I generally stick to water, but if I need a milk for something, I steal my son's soy milk.

Pam
  • BodyRockerVT
    Options
    Ohhh okay. I don't *think* have an issue with it but it has been a LONG time since it was tested.
  • BodyRockerVT
    Options
    Are you allergic to almonds too or just the milk?
  • emilysheafit
    emilysheafit Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I personally love Soymilk, I think it tastes better. However, I started drinking Horizon because its organic and tends to be a tad cheaper, also it tastes better than Soymilk.
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I avoid soy anything, not only does it upset my stomach but I was told by my doc that it can aggravate my endometriosis...I don't know if that's true, but, didn't want to chance it lol. I really enjoy almond milk. Definitely check out the chocolate almond milk some time too, yum! (splurge for the one that is not unsweetened though, it's worth it for a treat every now and then)
  • rubygarcia86
    rubygarcia86 Posts: 73 Member
    Options

And for those with thyroid issues, it is only raw soy that is the problem, not cooked soy like in soy milk.

For me, I'm allergic to Almond, so that's out for me. I generally stick to water, but if I need a milk for something, I steal my son's soy milk.

Pam

there is a history of thyroid issues in my family and im lactose intolerant so i was totally freaking out because all i drink is soy milk. glad you clarified :)
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Yes, to almonds in any form.

Pam
    Are you allergic to almonds too or just the milk?
  • nickscutie
    nickscutie Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I drink regular cows milk - call me crazy.

I don't really like the taste of almond milk on its own, never drank soy milk but I do know that it has a good amount of protein in it, whereas the almond milk has little to no protein or fiber in it.
  • nikolaim5
    nikolaim5 Posts: 233
    Options
    Oh soy... There's a huge battle going on regarding this little bean. If you are to believe just the facts then you'd be very confused, as am I. There's very little actual research and much of what does exists contradicts other research. Personally I'm staying away when I have the choice. There's so much of it in everything that I know I'm going to be consuming SOME. I just don't want too much.
  • missigus
    missigus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I tend to stay away from soy based anything. Since I have thryoid disease, and soy falls into the goitrocen catagory of foods (anti thyroid-can be goiter producing), I won't consume anything that is known to counteract the meds I take to replace my thyroid. If you are healthy and don't have any thryroid issues its supposed to be healthy consuming it. That being said though, supposedly Oprah had implemented a lot of soy into her diet and is now hypo-thyroid...so I don't know, who knows if that had something to do with it or not..? So, I drink almond milk. I like the taste, and I don't have to second guess the health benefits or downfalls.
  • zakkthebear
    zakkthebear Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I try for zero. Soy will adversely affect testosterone production. can't have that.
  • Emilia6909
    Emilia6909 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Definitely almond milk for me! It is so easy to make and you'll know exactly what is in it.
    If you're keen on soya milk, make sure of its origin I.e. organic or not. Soya is probably the most genetically modified bean out there. I avoid GMO at all cost.
    Inbox me if you would like recipe to make almond milk. :happy:
  • beautifullyblessed16
    Options
    A cup of SO Delicious Almond Milk has 5 grams of protein and 1 gram of fiber.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    In the UK, at least, soy offers me more variety (i can get little 250 ml cartons for taking to class or work, different flavours, sweetened or unsweetened for cooking etc) so I stick to soy. I've really developed a taste for it!
    I've only tried almond milk once, and it was nice.
    Rice milk was bloody horrible. Never again.
  • nkziv
    nkziv Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    almond milk is like HALF the calories of soy milk. Also too much soy isn't good for your hormone balance.