Almond Milk vs Soymilk?

Options

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I try for zero. Soy will adversely affect testosterone production. can't have that.

yeas but to get enough to do that you would be eating a block of Tofu a day and drinking at least a L of soy milk. Moderation is the key, no reason to avoid.

That being said, soy is much better in the protein category, but has more calories, so depending on if you need it for protein or not.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    A cup of SO Delicious Almond Milk has 5 grams of protein and 1 gram of fiber.

Are you sure there is that much protein in Almond milk, please post nutritional label or info? last few times I had it is was 1 gram or less. the Soy milk has 7-8 grams.
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Soy doesn't just affect thyroid...it's a mimic for estrogen (the 'female' hormone). Too much of it can actual stimulate cancer growth (but only if the cancer is already present in your body).
    The upside to soy: It's the only plant based source of complete protein, so it doesn't have to be paired with anything to give you all the essential amino acids you need. I personally drink oat milk and get my protein elsewhere (lactose intolerant vegetarian here).
    Almond milk, while I've never had the stuff myself seems like a great option, so unless you have some kind of nut allergy it would probably be good to go with that one. The taste of any of these alternative milks might seem strange at first, but after a week or 2 they'll taste just fine.
  • nickscutie
    nickscutie Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    A cup of SO Delicious Almond Milk has 5 grams of protein and 1 gram of fiber.

They make coconut milk, not almond milk. Per their website, 1 cup of SO Delicious Coconut Milk has 1g protein and 0g fiber.

http://sodeliciousdairyfree.com/products/product.php?p=so_delicious_beverage_hg_original
  • Bella3119
    Bella3119 Posts: 104
    Options
    My girls and I have been almond drinkers for 2 years now. We had a trial run with soy, but we just didn't like the taste. For my kids, it is fortified with calcium so most of the brands advertise as "50% more calcium than regular milk".

Almond breeze is so much more tastier, when the cost increased, we switched to Silk. At the next store run I'm going to switch right back to Almond Breeze!!!
  • missigus
    missigus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Soy affects the thyriod? Hmm curious. I didn't know that.

If you have a healthy thyroid it's nothing to worry about, but those with thyroid disorders should monitor their soy intake.

And for those with thyroid issues, it is only raw soy that is the problem, not cooked soy like in soy milk.

For me, I'm allergic to Almond, so that's out for me. I generally stick to water, but if I need a milk for something, I steal my son's soy milk.

Pam

I believe it's the isoflavones in the soy that inhibits thyroid peroxitase which produces t4 and t3 the inactive to active form of thryoid for metabolism. I believe isoflavones are present in both the raw and cooked soy beans...
  • BodyRockerVT
    BodyRockerVT Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I can't have much for regular milk at all, that is why I am trying to decide between soy and almond. I have IBS and it REALLY doesn't like milk.

Protein is good too, I sort of suck at that.

I would be using it for things like cereal and smoothies...I don't drink it by the gallon or anything but I do really enjoy having milk in some form in my cereal...
  • MyFeistyEvolution
    MyFeistyEvolution Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure which is better...seems soy has negative affects on some things. At the end of the day, I think almond milk tastes much better. I thought soy milk was gross.
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    In the UK, at least, soy offers me more variety (i can get little 250 ml cartons for taking to class or work, different flavours, sweetened or unsweetened for cooking etc) so I stick to soy. I've really developed a taste for it!
    I've only tried almond milk once, and it was nice.
    Rice milk was bloody horrible. Never again.

And Almond milk is so bloody expensive!
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    "The effect of cooking on goitrogens

Although research studies are limited in this area, cooking does appear to help inactivate the goitrogenic compounds found in food. Both isoflavones (found in soy foods) and isothiocyanates (found in cruciferous vegetables) appear to be heat-sensitive, and cooking appears to lower the availability of these substances. In the case of isothiocyanates in cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, as much as one third of this goitrogenic substance may be deactivated when broccoli is boiled in water."

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=george&dbid=47

But as it says, research is limited, and the isothiocyanates are not reduced by as much as the isoflavones. Unfortunately, most of the soy/thyroid studies are on rats, and they do not react the same way as humans. And I suspect that they all use raw soy, rather than a prepared form like you or I would.

Pam
  • grizzlymaze
    grizzlymaze Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I drink regular cows milk - call me crazy.

I don't really like the taste of almond milk on its own, never drank soy milk but I do know that it has a good amount of protein in it, whereas the almond milk has little to no protein or fiber in it.
    I'm crazy too than I guess. I prefer milk over other forms but if its the only thing in the house than I'll drink it. I like to compare it to the great debate over eggs, first the egg is good than not good than only egg white is good. What's next...?
  • flyingwrite
    Options
    I prefer Almond Milk. I, too, am lactose intolerant and just plain long don't like milk. So, for cereal and smoothies, almond milk unsweetened original all the way. I get my protein from other soy products, beans, nuts, etc. Don't like the taste of any of it by itself so that isn't a factor. Besides, it's terrifically low in calories.
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Just had almond milk for the first time today. It was really very tasty, but then again I LOVE almonds. I probably wouldn't drink it on it's own, but in my smoothie this AM it was fantastic.

Soy milk is simply gross to me. YUCK!

Why not try both? At my grocery store you can get individual servings of each in Vanilla or Chocolate.
  • emily356
    emily356 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I say pick up one of almond, soy, and coconut milk to try... coconut is very healthy for you as well!!:)
  • BodyRockerVT
    BodyRockerVT Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    My grocery store doesn't have small sizes I am afraid. It is a carton or nothing. They don't even have different brands of each. I consider going to the bigger store but end up spending WAY too much money...
  • For those with thyroid issues, almond milk is a better choice because soy has been shown to negatively affect that. Otherwise, it's really a matter of taste.

I happen to prefer almond milk because I find it creamier and tastier than soymilk, but that's just me!

Do you have a source with research to back this up? I've never heard this before and would like to read some research on this issue.
  • tataliciousd89
    Options
    I drank soy milk for years, but discovered almont milk and haven't turned back. That stuff is delicious, almost sinfully so.
  • TanyaGirl76
    TanyaGirl76 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    There really is no upside to soy unless it is fermented. It is extremely bad for you especially if it is genetically modified and not organic. It’s best to avoid it as much as you can, which is almost impossible to do nowadays.
  • carolafye
    Options
    Soy effects a lot of things, not to mention 99% of soy in the US is GMO. Fermented soy in moderation is good for you. Do your research!

I'll stick with Almond Milk as well ;)
  • JEdgarThomas
    Options
    "Milk is for babies." --Arnold Schwarzenegger

/endthread