Major Flaw in MFP and eating back your calories?

Options

Replies

• CaWaterBug8
    CaWaterBug8 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    That doesn't really matter when you consider the fact that HRMs are not 100% accurate down to the last .00001 of a calorie, and when you consider that most of the exercises used on here for logging are not exact. Not to mention how precise you are with logging every last mg of your diet.

If it does matter to you that much then I am sure that you will burn that 100 extra calories freaking out over every last drop of food or .00001 calorie consumed and over last 0.00001 calorie burned.

If it doesn't, then try eating back half of your exercising calories or finding a good balance between the calories you eat on rest days and the calories you eat on workout day. :flowerforyou:
  • emoflosser
    emoflosser Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Not eating back some of my calories = plateau for me

Eating most of them back = steady loss

To each their own

Same here.
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options

Worry less, exercise more, eat better.

yep!!! best post I have seen in a LONG TIME
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    a MAJOR flaw...I doubt that even 1% of individuals are that accurate in their calorie estimates. Calorie burns are all estimates anyway so 100 calories +/- is not something to be considered "major" anyway. You can fidget those calories off. LOL. I think you have much larger concerns than the 100 calories you may be double counting--like eating nutritious foods, actually getting in the exercise, and being consistent.

Besides, MFP calculates a deficit larger than 100 calories for even 1/2 pound loss per week (250 calorie deficit) so worst case scenario is your deficit is now 150 calories per day and it takes you 23 days instead of 14 days to lose 1 pound.
  • gtphile
    Options
    Fit_Britt, I think what you're saying makes perfect sense and is quite observant of you too! I think that this maybe just a bit too precise for most of us here at MFP. One stair stepper says I burn X many calories per hour and another says I burn Y many calories per hour. I don't think any of us know exactly how many calories we are burning doing anything. This includes exercise or regular day to day activities. I don't think any of us really know what our metabolic rate is either.
    I believe that most of us are just making educated guesses and some of us cheat at those guesses.
    So for your example where the 600 calories should really be 500, I don't think that 100 calories really matters. If we were hooked up to blood machines all day and knew exactly the calories in vs. the calories out, I think then we could worry about this.
    Until then, I am going to trust my scale and my health to guide me.

I didn't intend this to be rude in any way so please don't take it that way. Just my opinion. :)
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    The biggest flaw is people overestimating their calories using online calculators, not factoring in their VO2 max, MHRActual (not just 220-age as can be very inaccurate), RHR, Height, weight gender general activity level etc.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    personally after I got my HRM I log my net calories, not my total burned calories for the exercise.

so for every hour of exercise I take away 100 cal from the total burned. It's not accurate, but close enough for me.

^^^^^ THis is what i do also.

For every hour that i workout, i deduct 100 calories from what my HRM recorded as my total burn. Just to be safe :wink:

Also, I'm one of those who eats back almost every exercise calorie. I lost over 35 pounds and now that I'm in maintenance, I'm maintaining it. :flowerforyou:

I've also noticed my HRM reads lower than MFP exercises because MFP doesn't know what shape you are in just the weight. As for eating the calories, I stay above 1200 on a non-workout day but eat more on the workout days.
  • LA723
    LA723 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Let's not lose perspective here people...

We're talking about what? 100 cals for most people? And even that might be high.

Do you really think your food log (cals consumed) and exercise logs (cals burned) are accurate enough that you're not missing 100 cals here or 100 cals there over the course of time? Do you really think that at the end of each and every day your totals are correct to within 100 cals?

I doubt it.

Worry less, exercise more, eat better.

This!
  • smbakke77
    smbakke77 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    It's a major flaw IMO because you end up over eating and not losing weight and in some cases gaining weight.

The fitness trainers and nutritionists that I have seen have given me a flat 2000-2200 calorie diet. They never mention eating back my calories.

When I do eat back my calories, I fail. When I do not, I lose weight. I will stick with the results.

I agree completely. My mother has a friend who is a doctor with a PhD in weight management/obesity and she told me that eating back those calories basically defeats the purpose of burning those calories through exercise.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    It's a major flaw IMO because you end up over eating and not losing weight and in some cases gaining weight.

The fitness trainers and nutritionists that I have seen have given me a flat 2000-2200 calorie diet. They never mention eating back my calories.

When I do eat back my calories, I fail. When I do not, I lose weight. I will stick with the results.

How can it be a "major flaw" when I, and many others, have eaten back our exercise calories, and have lost weight? This is where we just have to dial things in for our own personal needs. But we can't say that it is "flawed" logic. It's just not "exact" logic. :wink:

Note the "IMO" part. Meaning in my opinion. It is a flaw, in my opinion, because it utterly fails for me in my own experience.
  • fixeruppper
    fixeruppper Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I guess you don't the quote about walking in another man's shoes.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    A calorie diff of 100 out of 600 is a 16.6% error (on top of whatever existing error there is)

Machine at the gym = indiscriminate calorie burn

MFP at least adjusts the calories burnt at your height/weight/age (and intensity if there is a variation available).

She's not talking about the error of machines vs MFP vs HRM
  • dottiemay71
    dottiemay71 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it's already been said, but I'm not going to read through all the entries. In my opinion, the bottom line is Eat Less - Move More. Without some research into the site, I at first didn't realize that day to day stuff was factored in already...however, its all averages or best guesses anyway. Eat less...Move More. It really is that simple. Of course if you have depression or other mental issues...that throws a kink into things.;)
  • claire7090
    Options
    Losing weight steadily - have lost 25 lbs in 22 weeks (3lbs to go to my goal), I eat back my calories most of the time. Net goal is 1200 and I burn between 200 and 600 extra calories each day with exercise therefore I eat between 1400 and 1800 calories most days. I am really happy with losing just over 1lb a week as I know that sort of steady weight loss is more likely to stay off in the long run.

Your BMR has been used to calculate your basic calories needed to lose weight so to my mind any extra I burn is in addition and as I said above it is working for me to eat back most of my calories.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    One thing I have been wondering is why MFP does not incorporate NET workout calories. Since you burn calories constantly, you need to subtract your baseline calories for that amount of time you worked out right?

Lets say someone's basal metabolic rate is 2400 calories a day. That's and average of 100 calories an hour. They work out 1 hour and burn 600 calories. MFP would tell that person that they could eat 3000 calories that day. BUT what MFP does not factor in is that, for that 1 hour they worked out, they would have burned 100 calories that hour without working out. Therefore, their net work out calories burned is 500. So, they could eat 2900 calories, and 3000 calories would actually lead to a weight gain right?

I try not to eat my workout calories, but I'm just wondering since a lot of people do. Any ideas?
    No, MFP accounts for that already.
    MFP has already figured out your total calories you need to eat per day to lose 1lb etc. a week.
    That's WITHOUT exercise. You'll notice that when you actually add exercise in, the calorie limit goes up to include what you would have burned doing nothing.

You missed her point, she is saying of the 600 that you burned from exercise would you not have burned 100 of those had you not worked out.

The answer is yes if you add the full 600 you would double count the 100 cals as calories burned is total cals, not extra or net cals burned from exercise. So if you didn't workout for that hour and watched EV instead you would have burned 100 instead of 600.

For those that don't eat your exercise calories, don't use this as an excuse as why not, you could just choose to eat 75-90% of them. If you are following MFP caloric intake before exercise you should not have more than 100 or so cals remaining at the end of the after exercise is entered. leaving this little wiggle room will account for that flaw, but it isn't MFP's flaw it is the way all cardio machines, on-line calorie burned calculator and even HRM's are programed. They were not set up with MFP in mind.
  • sulliwedd
    Options
    I have a trainer as well and she tells me to eat back the calories I have burned, meaning in her opinion she wants me on a 1600 cal diet and MFP says 1200 without exercise, so when I exercise I eat the calories I have burned.
  • p0stdramatic
    Options
    <<<<Eats back her calories, has since day 1. :happy:
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options

Agree with this!
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options

I agree completely. My mother has a friend who is a doctor with a PhD in weight management/obesity and she told me that eating back those calories basically defeats the purpose of burning those calories through exercise.

It would defeat the purpose IF your calories weren't set at a deficit already.
  • nikkijoshua
    nikkijoshua Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I know of some people who subtract their BMR calories from the calories burned during exercise because they would've burned that much (BMR calories) anyway without exercising. I don't worry about subracting BMR calories because you're burning more calories per hour for the next hour or more after a workout (especially after HIIT, interval, and strength training workouts) than you normally would so I figure it all evens out. Some days I eat back all of my exercise calories and other days, I only eat back some of them. If I have a really high calorie burn because I've doubled up on my workouts, it's get difficult to eat back all of those calories.