No wonder our kids grow up to make bad food choices...

Options

Replies

• stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I compromise with my 1st grader (age 6). We make her lunch 3 days a week and she gets to eat school lunches on Friday (pizza) and one other (she chose Wed for the chicken nuggets). That way she doesn't feel like a total outsider, but still eats mostly healthy foods. Due to her upbringing, if given the option between veggie and fries, she almost always chooses the veggie. She has never even tasted a soda. My sister offered her one a couple months ago, and my daughter told her no thanks, I don't drink soda. Do you have any water? :love:
  • driaxx
    driaxx Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    When I was at school, everything was so greasy and soggy! I couldn't even bring myself to eat the hot chips - and hot chips are my favourite food in the world, I could eat a litre bucket of any chips usually.

But it was so disgusting. They stopped serving chocolate and sodas etc. but the food was still horrible. So instead, because my mother didn't have time to pack my lunch and I was a stubborn little teenager, I wouldn't eat anything till 4pm... now all they had to do was offer a bit of fruit salad!!!
  • GuruOnAMountain
    GuruOnAMountain Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I go to a small private university and the food the university serves is pretty good - but it's filled with sodium! The company (Sodexo) shows up in the MFP databases but every day I eat from the cafeteria I go over my sodium limit (I'm tracking it). I can only imagine how much sodium must be in school food. I can't imagine what my sodium would be like if I was still in high school and eating lunch from the cafeteria there everyday (it wasn't much different than what was in the pictures, just a few more choices - but they were mostly packaged things too, like candies). The high school's efforts towards making things healthy were pretty much just switching from normal to baked chips.

Parents can make food for their children but from my experience, 95% of students buy lunch from the cafeteria, at least in public schools. In high school it's worse because the students have the options to buy essentially anything - and many opt for things like ice cream, candy, etc. instead of the somewhat-balanced meals the school serves. So there's a point where parents really can't do much unless schools let them know how the students are spending their money.

However... I'd rather have these options than things like only rice or porridge, as some countries have.

Sodexo also has the contract for catering in some British Army training facilities. I don't know if it is just because they're preparing foods for soldiers doing training but the food seems always to be calorie laden food like chips, breaded meat, lasagne etc.
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I compromise with my 1st grader (age 6). We make her lunch 3 days a week and she gets to eat school lunches on Friday (pizza) and one other (she chose Wed for the chicken nuggets). That way she doesn't feel like a total outsider, but still eats mostly healthy foods. Due to her upbringing, if given the option between veggie and fries, she almost always chooses the veggie. She has never even tasted a soda. My sister offered her one a couple months ago, and my daughter told her no thanks, I don't drink soda. Do you have any water? :love:

My son is vegetarian, and proud of it! While he likes pizza and Mac n cheese he won't touch fries and hates soda!
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i wouldn't even want to post what the school lunches at the school i work at look like. make me gag daily.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    You know parents have the option to make a lunch for their kids and have them bring it to school, right? So is it the school's fault or the parents fault?

It doesn't mean that the school shouldn't be held responsible for not providing healthy choices. Is it the kid's fault that their parents don't make their lunch? No. So why should the kid's body have to suffer for it?

That being said, I'm really not surprised... the rest of the world has so much better, healthier food than America in general. Fruits and veggies are cheaper. It's ridiculous and no wonder why we have such an obesity problem here.

we have an obesity problem because people refuse to take responsiblity for themselves. Like when people sued McDonalds for making them fat,and parents that dont take the time to find out what kind of lunches their kids school provides.If more parents did that then started sending the kids to school with a lunch the schools would be forced to change because they wouldnt be making any money. But people are lazy
  • cakeums
    cakeums Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    You know parents have the option to make a lunch for their kids and have them bring it to school, right? So is it the school's fault or the parents fault?

It doesn't mean that the school shouldn't be held responsible for not providing healthy choices. Is it the kid's fault that their parents don't make their lunch? No. So why should the kid's body have to suffer for it?

That being said, I'm really not surprised... the rest of the world has so much better, healthier food than America in general. Fruits and veggies are cheaper. It's ridiculous and no wonder why we have such an obesity problem here.

we have an obesity problem because people refuse to take responsiblity for themselves. Like when people sued McDonalds for making them fat,and parents that dont take the time to find out what kind of lunches their kids school provides.If more parents did that then started sending the kids to school with a lunch the schools would be forced to change because they wouldnt be making any money. But people are lazy

So...young children are supposed to be taking personal responsibility for the foods they eat? Are you serious? And are you aware that for some children, the ONLY meal they get ALL DAY is school lunch, because they qualify for the free lunch program?

Furthermore, schools are not making money on lunches. Do you even have a clue what a public school system's budget, expenditures, and income looks like?
  • Anderia
    Anderia Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    think about how many ADULTS are not educated about food, i think it absolutely is the schools responsibility to teach our children about nutrition and provide healthy meals! in addition, please remember that not all of our nation's family are able to provide healthy lunches for their childrent to take to school. Some of our students get their ONLY meals from school.

This^^^^
    Being a social worker I encounter this situation a lot. It's so easy for someone to say "If the school doesn't provided a good lunch then the parents should". Not everyone is as fortunate as other people. As this poster said, it could be that child's only meal for the day. Some families really do have to ration out their food every night and preparing a child's lunch every day is probably out of the picture. We talk about how we want our kids to eat healthy but healthy food can be expensive and I think we all know that. A lot of those same parents do want to make better eating choices for the children but some just can't afford it.
  • intergalactick
    intergalactick Posts: 18 Member
    Options

I agree. If you don't want your child eating school lunches, make them yourself.

This is true, but not every parent can afford this. Most parents need to get their kids school lunches because they need the reduced lunch costs schools offer.
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    I know it's been awhile since I've been in school, but that's definitely not what lunches looked like in my cafeteria. What school serves stuffing, pizza, and fritos all at the same time? Were they having leftover day? Although I agree those meals were mediocre at best we still have to remember that from school to school and district to district lunches offered may differ. It doesn't excuse their lacking in nutrients, but as others have said, sometimes parents have to take charge and send their children to school with lunch.

I did notice too that the majority of the lunches on there involved rice or noodles.
  • sloneczka
    Options
    Here is a link to 20 school lunches from around the world. The USA is horrible!

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/what-school-lunches-look-like-in-20-countries-arou

That's NOT an excuse for the schools to provide students with crappy, nutritionally empty lunches. Many kids' parents are unable to afford to provide their children with wholesome lunches to take to school. Educate yourself, do not assume everyone is in the lucky position to provide meals for their children everyday. This is living in a bubble and ignoring the circumstance of many Americans less fortunate than us. I am an advocate for school-lunch reform, healthy does not need to be expensive. Please do the research and learn not everyone is privileged enough to make good choices.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I've taught in public schools for 26 years. There have been many changes in education over those years - especially in the cafeteria.

Of course you could go in a get pictures that look like the ones posted. However, if you haven't been in a school in the last 5 years, I'd encourage you to do so. This much I know is true ....

My school corporation EVERY day offers salad. EVERY day fresh fruit is offered. EVERY day there are two entrees so children have choices. EVERY day there is low fat milk offered.

Schools are making huge strides in their efforts to provide healthier lunches for students.

When you see chips from a bag or a other packaged/processed food on the tray, most likely it was an "extra" purchase not included in the government approved school lunch. This is one way schools help off-set a deficit in funding.

However, with all that being said ... you still can't make kids eat food they don't want. If they haven't been exposed to healthy food on a regular basis, it's difficult at best to have them start choosing better choices when in school.
  • cakeums
    Options
    I wanted to add, my daughter's school lunches (though I have not seen them in person) sometimes sound good on paper. Grilled chicken breast, brown rice, mixed vegetables, apple, fruit cup, what have you. Then they have days like brunch day (French toast sticks, syrup, fresh fruit), stuffed crust pizza day, popcorn chicken day. They do always include whole-grain breads, brown rice, etc. so at least they're not using white flour...I do make her lunch the majority of the time though.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,689 Member
    Options
    It's ironic the bashers on school lunches are blaming the schools. Practically all school lunch programs are tied to federal government programs. Most bashers don't want government interference, but when it comes to school lunches it's different. The programs dole out what the schools should serve. And this is at a reduced cost for many students. Most schools don't get to pick the foods that are distributed. Give the schools a break. If they are on the program, the lunches are meeting the guidelines set up by the FDA.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mammafrog
    mammafrog Posts: 176
    Options
    Yes it is the parents responsibility BUT also the schools. Government money should NOT go to feeding kids junk. My daughter only goes 1/2 day (pre-k) so I am familiar with breakfast. Her school offers things like yogurt, breakfast muffin (english muffin., ham, egg) fruits, and such and always a option for cereal. Next year we change schools and I looked their menu. One day was strawberry poptart, blueberry poptart, or coco puffs. WTF!?! Some kids only eat at school so it should provide nutritional value. Take vending machines out and only offer mainly healthy foods and they will eat it.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    In our school, we had good food, but kids would bring in junk from the fast food joints around the school.

Unfortunately, this really starts at home with the parents and what they feed kids in the house.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options

So...young children are supposed to be taking personal responsibility for the foods they eat? Are you serious? And are you aware that for some children, the ONLY meal they get ALL DAY is school lunch, because they qualify for the free lunch program?

Furthermore, schools are not making money on lunches. Do you even have a clue what a public school system's budget, expenditures, and income looks like?

I know my kids school gets money from the lunces because I worked in the lunch room,and its the parents responsiblity above ANYONE ELSES to teach their young children about how to eat right. And if the only meal these kids are getting all day is from school what happens in the summer they starve?also i would like to know how kids become obese if they are only eating once a day?
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Fresh and nutrittional lunches cost more money. More cost = more taxes.

Everyone willing to have their taxes raised to support this?
  • cakeums
    Options

I know my kids school gets money from the lunces because I worked in the lunch room,and its the parents responsiblity above ANYONE ELSES to teach their young children about how to eat right. And if the only meal these kids are getting all day is from school what happens in the summer they starve?

School lunches are hardly a money-making enterprise. It's not like they're making profits and pocketing it out of corporate greed. Come on. Sure, it is a parent's responsibility to teach their kids to eat properly, but the lack of education about nutrition in our country is so ingrained that many people in low socio-economic groups honestly do not know a thing about good nutrition. So why do the kids have to suffer for that? Will they all eat healthy in school if the option is given? Of course not. But at least give them a chance.

As for what these kids eat in the summer, I couldn't tell you. My guess is that they don't eat much. To a parent in the cycle of poverty (meaning they are in poverty, have come from poverty, and their children are at high risk of living in poverty as adults as well), a school lunch in a district without the funds to provide healthier option is just as good as sending their kid to school with a PB&J...for all I know those kids are just eating a sandwich a day during the summer months. However, the fact is that some kids only get to eat at school. If you don't believe that, I don't really know which direction to point you in with documented research. I'm sure someone here could help you with that though.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    @ FearAnLoathin ... unfortunately, many children do go hungry over the weekends and during the summer months.

There are some programs to help get food to children when they're not in school. The Backpack Program provides children with a backpack of food for the weekend. It's filled on Friday and they take it home. It's returned the following school day to be refilled the next weekend.

During the summer, there are site-based programs in which children (those 18 and under) can go to and get breakfast and/or lunch. The only restriction is they must eat the food on the site provided. These programs are grant funded and found in low-income areas. Not all, but some areas. Children need not be on F/R lunch status to qualify ... all they have to do is walk, ride a bike, or somehow get to the site. No questions asked. This service is provided via the public schools (although I don't doubt there are other groups who make this available in their communities). Because it's a grant and supported by the federal government, it has rules and regulations it must follow as well as nutritional guidelines.