Is a glass of milk a valid mid morning snack?

Options
2»

Replies

• mavsgurl30
    Options
    what the others said. i mean, i LIKE eating every four hours or so, but it is most certainly not a requirement.

and a glass of milk and a cookie as a mid morning snack? i'm salivating just thinking about it. whole milk too. none of this watered down bud light of lacteal fluid that ppl use to try and lose weight.

LOL!! i make myself drink the 2% but it's still not as awesome as whole milk. especially with a cookie...HEAVEN =p
  • pinkpeonies
    Options
    Supposedly too much dairy can cause weight gain. It is better to drink unsweetened almond milk :)
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    It's not necessarily to keep your metabolism up, but to keep your blood sugar stable throughout the day without the peaks and valleys between meals.

She didn't say she had blood sugar issues

You don't have to have diabetes or hypoglycemia for keeping the blood sugar stable throughout the day to be a good idea - this helps to reduce cravings , and keeps your energy levels more even.
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    It's not necessarily to keep your metabolism up, but to keep your blood sugar stable throughout the day without the peaks and valleys between meals.

She didn't say she had blood sugar issues

I know that, but thanks.

When blood sugar drops it's a trigger for you to eat. You do the math on what keeping a stable blood sugar benefit will be. I'm not going to explain.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Supposedly too much dairy can cause weight gain. It is better to drink unsweetened almond milk :)

It will make your wallet lighter, but that's about it.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    milk = carb, fat, and protein

pretty balanced piece of food
  • baybeejulia
    baybeejulia Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't that be directly related to your calorie intake though? So if I'm still in my calorie limit then it should be fine?
  • baybeejulia
    Options

Wouldn't that be directly related to your calorie intake though? So if I'm still in my calorie limit then it should be fine?
  • sarahgilmore
    sarahgilmore Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    yes if its within your calorie limit, you're fine
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

Excess calories cause weight gain. Milk has way more protein and calcium than almond milk.
  • danigirl1011
    danigirl1011 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I mean the whole eating every couple of hours to keep your metabolism up

That's a myth. Total calories is what matters, not what time you eat.

I disagree with this. Most fitness programs, including the ever popular P90x state that your body is like a machine and to get the best performance out of it you need to put fuel in every couplle of hours. You are basically saying she could save 100% of her calories from the day and eat it all for dinner and still get the same nutrition/outcome. That's crap. To answer the start of the thread though, although milk is good on nutrients, etc it's probably not that filling. I would add protein powder to it or maybe have a handful of nuts with it or some dried fruit.
  • baybeejulia
    Options

I disagree with this. Most fitness programs, including the ever popular P90x state that your body is like a machine and to get the best performance out of it you need to put fuel in every couplle of hours. You are basically saying she could save 100% of her calories from the day and eat it all for dinner and still get the same nutrition/outcome. That's crap. To answer the start of the thread though, although milk is good on nutrients, etc it's probably not that filling. I would add protein powder to it or maybe have a handful of nuts with it or some dried fruit.

I agree. When I started eating 6 times a day I noticed a massive difference in my weightless progress. And over Christmas despite not exercising and eating junk food all the time I found that I was still burning enough calories to continue losing weight despite my diet. I owe that to my increased metabolism which I believe has to do with eating 6 meals a day.
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    "I disagree with this. Most fitness programs, including the ever popular P90x state that your body is like a machine and to get the best performance out of it you need to put fuel in every couplle of hours. You are basically saying she could save 100% of her calories from the day and eat it all for dinner and still get the same nutrition/outcome. That's crap. To answer the start of the thread though, although milk is good on nutrients, etc it's probably not that filling. I would add protein powder to it or maybe have a handful of nuts with it or some dried fruit."
    [/quote]

This is actually incorrect. You could lose weight by eating all your calories and macros at one meal as you could by eating several meals throughout the day. As long as you are creating a deficit.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

I agree. When I started eating 6 times a day I noticed a massive difference in my weightless progress. And over Christmas despite not exercising and eating junk food all the time I found that I was still burning enough calories to continue losing weight despite my diet. I owe that to my increased metabolism which I believe has to do with eating 6 meals a day.

Fiction:

Br J Nutr. 1997 Apr;77 Suppl 1:S57-70.
    Meal frequency and energy balance.
    Bellisle F, McDevitt R, Prentice AM.
    Source

INSERM U341, Hotel Dieu de Paris, France.
    Abstract

Several epidemiological studies have observed an inverse relationship between people's habitual frequency of eating and body weight, leading to the suggestion that a 'nibbling' meal pattern may help in the avoidance of obesity. A review of all pertinent studies shows that, although many fail to find any significant relationship, the relationship is consistently inverse in those that do observe a relationship. However, this finding is highly vulnerable to the probable confounding effects of post hoc changes in dietary patterns as a consequence of weight gain and to dietary under-reporting which undoubtedly invalidates some of the studies. We conclude that the epidemiological evidence is at best very weak, and almost certainly represents an artefact. A detailed review of the possible mechanistic explanations for a metabolic advantage of nibbling meal patterns failed to reveal significant benefits in respect of energy expenditure. Although some short-term studies suggest that the thermic effect of feeding is higher when an isoenergetic test load is divided into multiple small meals, other studies refute this, and most are neutral. More importantly, studies using whole-body calorimetry and doubly-labelled water to assess total 24 h energy expenditure find no difference between nibbling and gorging. Finally, with the exception of a single study, there is no evidence that weight loss on hypoenergetic regimens is altered by meal frequency. We conclude that any effects of meal pattern on the regulation of body weight are likely to be mediated through effects on the food intake side of the energy balance equation.

Peer reviewed science > "Most fitness programs"
  • rm830
    rm830 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I just put a spoon of Nescafé with milk and microwave it. It's amazing!

mmmm love that!!!!!
  • baybeejulia
    Options

Fiction:

Br J Nutr. 1997 Apr;77 Suppl 1:S57-70.
    Meal frequency and energy balance.
    Bellisle F, McDevitt R, Prentice AM.
    Source

INSERM U341, Hotel Dieu de Paris, France.
    Abstract

Several epidemiological studies have observed an inverse relationship between people's habitual frequency of eating and body weight, leading to the suggestion that a 'nibbling' meal pattern may help in the avoidance of obesity. A review of all pertinent studies shows that, although many fail to find any significant relationship, the relationship is consistently inverse in those that do observe a relationship. However, this finding is highly vulnerable to the probable confounding effects of post hoc changes in dietary patterns as a consequence of weight gain and to dietary under-reporting which undoubtedly invalidates some of the studies. We conclude that the epidemiological evidence is at best very weak, and almost certainly represents an artefact. A detailed review of the possible mechanistic explanations for a metabolic advantage of nibbling meal patterns failed to reveal significant benefits in respect of energy expenditure. Although some short-term studies suggest that the thermic effect of feeding is higher when an isoenergetic test load is divided into multiple small meals, other studies refute this, and most are neutral. More importantly, studies using whole-body calorimetry and doubly-labelled water to assess total 24 h energy expenditure find no difference between nibbling and gorging. Finally, with the exception of a single study, there is no evidence that weight loss on hypoenergetic regimens is altered by meal frequency. We conclude that any effects of meal pattern on the regulation of body weight are likely to be mediated through effects on the food intake side of the energy balance equation.

Peer reviewed science > "Most fitness programs"

I guess there are arguments for and against. Everybody is different, I don't know about the science behind it but 6 meals a day definitely helped me lose my weight. I used to eat once or twice a day but never really ate more than 1300-1500 calories. So I know it couldn't have been my calorie intake that caused my weightloss.
  • ramseyrose
    ramseyrose Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Milk has carb, fat (depnding what sort) and protein. Proteins fill you up. I think its a perfectly fine snack anytime of day.

Also just in case people dont know, never add anything to a liquid after microwaving - it can explode
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    A snack is whatever u want it to be.......:)
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    The only vague memory regarding the intake is related to the energy required in order to assimilate a meal. Thus that would means the more meals you have, the more energy is required, but I'm not sure.
    Anyway, +1 the whole 3 meals a day is nothing but a cultural burden :)

Edit :
    our ancestors didn't had 3 meals a day, and were more shapped than us :D
    Edit 2 :
    I won't add the IF which is a kicks-*kitten* way of burning fat and keeping muscles :D
  • torie079
    torie079 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I love ice cold milk:) I drink a glass of 1% after my work outs.. I just love it.