"Starvation Mode" As explained by WeightWatchers.

Options

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Wow, it's a shame someone that posts a topic/question has to be made to feel ashamed to ask it. Most of us are here for support ....why click on a topic if you know it's been beaten to death? To the OP, I'm glad you posted this, there is lots of controversy in regards to this and i would love to know the truth behind this....as I often go under 1200 calories, not on purpose but I'm eatting much healthier foods and my calories just don't add up since I get full faster.

I was merely pointing out that this topic has been discussed many times and if the OP really wants alot of different explanations she could search it. how on earth can you see that as making her feel ashamed? over sensitive are we? and dont you like horses either?

moderator comment

Merely pointing out this guideline

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.

CatCrazy
  • LittleMissDoll
    Options
    this.
    its true..its a myth.

this whole myth is based on a study done in the 40s. Its called the Minnesota starvation study. It took like 30 healthy muscular service men and basically 'starved' them. they intook 3000 some calories, normal intake for these men. then they cut it in half for a few months. They all lost weight steadily, and the scientists adjusted the calories of each man, because everyone's metabolism is different, as to make sure they lost weight at a predictable manor. (this is where the myth comes from). the fact is, they all lost weight period. this study wasnt about weight loss, but mostly about how the body reacts to starvation, and ultimately how to re feed someone who is technically starving.

its not healthy to starve yourself to lose weight. and i never endorse this. but, the fact is, there is no such thing as starvation mode. It is physiologically impossible for a person to 'hold onto fat' on a calorie deficit. and even more so impossible to 'store fat' on a calorie deficit. our bodies need a certain amount of energy/calories to function. our brains, livers, muscles, other organs etc. if we dont feed our bodies enough, it takes that energy from fat. and if we restrict too much to some extent gets energy from muscle. but mostly it catabolizes muscle to provide amino acids and enzymes for biological reactions/functions in the body.

In true starvation, you use your fat, then muscle. after that is gone, your body starts to basically eat itself to survive. it'll break down organ tissues and organs will shut down. this how people die from starvation..organ failure. so all our talk about starvation mode.."i only eat 1400 calories a day", "oh you are in starvation mode eat more"..all this is a slap in the face to those who are truely starving. go tell them you cant lose weight because you arent eating enough.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    There just needs to be a group for people who want to discuss this topic.

And experiment yourself? That's taking a big risk.

It's not a risk at all. Everyone's body is different, everyone needs a different amount of calories in order to lose weight efficiently while still remaining healthy. Without a little experimentation I never would have figured out that I need 1500-1600 net calories in order to burn fat and lose weight. I'd be stuck at 1200 cals, miserable, hungry, and not losing anything. But because I experimented with the amount of calories I consumed I figured out what worked for me. I highly recommend that everyone do the same if their initial results are not what they are expecting.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    Wow, it's a shame someone that posts a topic/question has to be made to feel ashamed to ask it. Most of us are here for support ....why click on a topic if you know it's been beaten to death? To the OP, I'm glad you posted this, there is lots of controversy in regards to this and i would love to know the truth behind this....as I often go under 1200 calories, not on purpose but I'm eatting much healthier foods and my calories just don't add up since I get full faster.

I was merely pointing out that this topic has been discussed many times and if the OP really wants alot of different explanations she could search it. how on earth can you see that as making her feel ashamed? over sensitive are we? and dont you like horses either?

however this is a public message board, and we should be able to post as we please, instead of reading through hundreds of older posts, right? i mean, realistically, those of you who dont like a specific topic could over look it with enough will power... dont you think?
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    its true..its a myth.

this whole myth is based on a study done in the 40s. Its called the Minnesota starvation study. It took like 30 healthy muscular service men and basically 'starved' them. they intook 3000 some calories, normal intake for these men. then they cut it in half for a few months. They all lost weight steadily, and the scientists adjusted the calories of each man, because everyone's metabolism is different, as to make sure they lost weight at a predictable manor. (this is where the myth comes from). the fact is, they all lost weight period. this study wasnt about weight loss, but mostly about how the body reacts to starvation, and ultimately how to re feed someone who is technically starving.

its not healthy to starve yourself to lose weight. and i never endorse this. but, the fact is, there is no such thing as starvation mode. It is physiologically impossible for a person to 'hold onto fat' on a calorie deficit. and even more so impossible to 'store fat' on a calorie deficit. our bodies need a certain amount of energy/calories to function. our brains, livers, muscles, other organs etc. if we dont feed our bodies enough, it takes that energy from fat. and if we restrict too much to some extent gets energy from muscle. but mostly it catabolizes muscle to provide amino acids and enzymes for biological reactions/functions in the body.

In true starvation, you use your fat, then muscle. after that is gone, your body starts to basically eat itself to survive. it'll break down organ tissues and organs will shut down. this how people die from starvation..organ failure. so all our talk about starvation mode.."i only eat 1400 calories a day", "oh you are in starvation mode eat more"..all this is a slap in the face to those who are truely starving. go tell them you cant lose weight because you arent eating enough.

The most interesting thing is the participants of the study.. I'd be curious to see if the same "test" was run on a group that was 100lbs over their "ideal weight"
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    I think it comes down to this: There is a lot of debate because no one knows for certain. End.

no we do know for certain..but the staying power of this myth is due to the fact that a lot of people believe it and continue to spread it..
    and to the other person who said they read several studies..no you havent. there have been no real studies, especially on this 'starvation mode'. the only studies that have been done on true starvation is the one i mentioned above and another in the netherlands..but that wasnt a study, as it was a famine and provided scientists with some thing to study..since it is unethical to starve someone for science.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Options

additionally, could it be that maybe you are indeed the one who is a bit on the sensetive side, being that another persons posts has the ability to bother you so much? i mean, i see posts on here that look really immature and dumb, and I just pass right over it... nothing to get you panties all bunched up about, dont you think?
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Never mind.
  • capaxinfiniti
    capaxinfiniti Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    There just needs to be a group for people who want to discuss this topic.

And experiment yourself? That's taking a big risk.

It's not a risk at all. Everyone's body is different, everyone needs a different amount of calories in order to lose weight efficiently while still remaining healthy. Without a little experimentation I never would have figured out that I need 1500-1600 net calories in order to burn fat and lose weight. I'd be stuck at 1200 cals, miserable, hungry, and not losing anything. But because I experimented with the amount of calories I consumed I figured out what worked for me. I highly recommend that everyone do the same if their initial results are not what they are expecting.

She wasn't talking about experimenting to find out what calories worked with her in that post. She said that she was going to experiment to figure out the "symptoms and effects of starvation mode". That sounds like, to me, she is seeing how it would affect her negatively. Just my view in that statement.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Options
    its true..its a myth.

Then why didn't I lose a single pound when I was eating 400-700 net calories a day for 6 months?

i think each of our bodies are different, and what works for me, might not work for you, and vice versa... take my cousin, she pukes everything up... yes, dumb, stupid, and dangerous... she maybe absorbes 300 calories a day, and shes as thin as a rail... not in starvation mode... me, i actually attempted the "starve yourself" thing in high school, and ate around 800 calories a day... and i never lost a pound!!! here i am now, eating 1200 GOOD calories a day, and the weight is dropping off! to each thier own, i guess!
  • airlily
    airlily Posts: 212 Member
    Options

Thank you for that. As a high school teacher, I am used to such abuse, so don't worry about me. There is also that magical function "ignore user" I could utilize. Thank you, though. :)

As for my question, it's best to ask those who may have personal experience in an area of interest when research begins to either run you in every direction, or straight into a dead end. I couldn't think of better people to pose this question to than dieters -- i.e. the virtual population of this site. I learned a lot in just a few posts.

Thanks again, everyone. :)
  • twinmom430
    twinmom430 Posts: 457 Member
    Options

Ashamed? Well considering you told her to stop the starvation mode right before death, umm, I don't think I'm being over sensitive. The OP just started on this site in December....it's possible she didn't know how to search...personally I didn't know how to either until someone showed me how to do it this week, sorry, Im not very computer savy. Anyway I see you alot on different post and you usually post helpful information...it's important to have people, such as yourself, that seem to have more knowledge in diet/fitness helping out the newbies....I think that's the point of this site. So instead of making a snarky comment, maybe you could shed some light on the topic, if you wish. Just sayin....:flowerforyou:
  • vguynes
    vguynes Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post. I found the reading very interesting.
  • srcantgiveup
    srcantgiveup Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I appreciate the information and that you have brought up a topic that does seem to
    happen to some.
  • deliak2010
    Options
    bump to read later. thanks to the OP for posting this! I'm constantly wondering about this issue since I've always thought starvation mode was a myth as well. nice to have some scientific backup to support my theory. people need to think logically and remember that losing weight is simple math.. calories in < calories out. and as long as you're doing that, no matter what the calorie deficit, you WILL lose weight. goodnight everyone :)
  • cakeums
    cakeums Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    its true..its a myth.

Then why didn't I lose a single pound when I was eating 400-700 net calories a day for 6 months?

i think each of our bodies are different, and what works for me, might not work for you, and vice versa... take my cousin, she pukes everything up... yes, dumb, stupid, and dangerous... she maybe absorbes 300 calories a day, and shes as thin as a rail... not in starvation mode... me, i actually attempted the "starve yourself" thing in high school, and ate around 800 calories a day... and i never lost a pound!!! here i am now, eating 1200 GOOD calories a day, and the weight is dropping off! to each thier own, i guess!

Not in starvation mode? She is killing herself, that is the definition of "starvation mode!" It does not mean a person will get fat, it means that their body is literally shutting down because it is trying to survive off its own tissues, down to the organs. She will probably die of a heart attack or kidney failure one day if she doesn't get help. I'm not saying this to be a jerk, I am saying this because I have friends who have, at some point in time, battled with anorexia and/or bulimia - to the point of many stays in inpatient facilities between the 3 of them; one of them is still very much in the thick of it and I worry that I will be notified that she has died in the near future - and it goes much deeper than being "dumb, stupid, and dangerous." Maybe you should encourage her to get some help.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    its true..its a myth.

Please note that in the Minnesota Starvation Study, some of the 'responses' these men had to a restricted calorie intake was irritability, depression, and if memory serves me, some borderline delirium ... You don't have to be 'truly starving' to be depriving your body of necessary nutrients. Even moderate imbalances can trigger adverse reactions.

OP, my suggestion is to use the tools here at MFP to calculate your caloric needs, meet with your doctor to determine your macro-nutrient needs, and do not listen to the publications of a corporation in the diet industry, or posters with random opinions (even me ... except that consult your doctor part).
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    people need to think logically and remember that losing weight is simple math.. calories in < calories out. and as long as you're doing that, no matter what the calorie deficit, you WILL lose weight. goodnight everyone :)

Just remember though, it is not always easy to predict calories Out when your calories In is low. For instance if your BMR is 1200 and you eat 800 per day, if you are very sedentary, its reasonable to say your calories Out could lower to 800 and you will not lose weight. However the idea that you are capable of burning 800 calories a day and running for 30 minutes will likely lead to a violation of thermodynamics.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Options
    its true..its a myth.

Not in starvation mode? She is killing herself, that is the definition of "starvation mode!" It does not mean a person will get fat, it means that their body is literally shutting down because it is trying to survive off its own tissues, down to the organs. She will probably die of a heart attack or kidney failure one day if she doesn't get help. I'm not saying this to be a jerk, I am saying this because I have friends who have, at some point in time, battled with anorexia and/or bulimia - to the point of many stays in inpatient facilities between the 3 of them; one of them is still very much in the thick of it and I worry that I will be notified that she has died in the near future - and it goes much deeper than being "dumb, stupid, and dangerous." Maybe you should encourage her to get some help.

woah... i said its dangerous. thats not the myth that they are speaking of. they are saying that you will stop loosing weight in starvation mode, and my point was that my cousin is withering away... thats my point. YES, SHE WILL DIE, MAYBE SOON... BUT THATS NOT THE MYTH BEING DISCUSSED... THATS A FACT!!! THE MYTH IS THAT YOU WILL STOP LOOSING WEIGHT... AND SHES STILL LOOSING WEIGHT, DAILY! THERE IS A BIG DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FACT AND MYTH. fact = my cousin is going to die from puking her guts up. according to the myth, she wouldnt be loosing weight, however, SHE IS!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I think that starvation mode is debated so much and I am not sure what to think of it half the time. I explain it more with this: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html
    Or at least that is my go to article xD

Either way if it exists or not, there is no need to be on that line. Food is not the enemy :] Small calorie deficit is the way to go. Then you don't even have to worry about it xD