Question for a.m. exercisers

Options
124»

Replies

• PippaJo_
    PippaJo_ Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    It depends on what I'm doing, and when.

I usually get up at 6am and do a video of some kind - I never eat before that. Too much jumping, too much effort - anything in my stomach will just send the blood there for digestion so I won't have it for my muscles - plus it all sloshes around and makes me feel like crap. I can't even drink much water before/during for the same reason - I'll get bad side stitches. (I guzzle after though, that's okay.)

On the weekends, I get up a little later and go hiking with a friend. Because I have a bit more time, I always eat breakfast before heading out. But - I'm also not jumping around, or running. I'm working, walking fast and going over fields and hills, but because it's not sloshing, I feel okay. And if I waited until after that to eat, it's no longer breakfast, it's lunch...and I'm starving. No good.
  • cafard79
    Options
    I always eat after. I get up at 3:30 AM but don't usually work out till about 4:45. I guess I COULD eat something as soon as I wake up and have it settle, but who the heck wants to eat that early? LOL
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    i eat at 6:30 a.m. and then work-out at 8:00 a.m. i eat a normal breakfast, yogurt, protein shake, banana, fruit, cereal, etc. whatever i would normally eat. it has settled by the time i head to the gym. i could never work-out on an empty stomach, but some people can. :smile:
  • dobenjam
    dobenjam Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    For breakfast I usually have fresh carrot and apple juice. Typically I'll work out and then drink some water and Juice the fruits and veggies. I am usually drinking this about 30 min after my workout. The juice has a lot of natural sugar in it and I prefer to have my body burning any calories it can while I'm in a fasted state so I usually plan it so I'm drinking 30 min after my workout.

This will change when I start lifting (right now I am only running/cardio). When I start lifting I will most likely have protein (eggs, shake) for breakfast as soon after my workout as possible.
  • thesarahsundae
    thesarahsundae Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I don't eat before I excercise. I'm not usually hungry until after my workout. I hit the gym at 6am this morning and when I got to work (at 8:30am) had my breakfast. I had oatmeal, strawberries, a little protein powder and some PB2 mixed in. It kept me full until lunch.

If I do feel like I need something before my workout, I eat a granola bar (Larabar or Kashi or something like that) before I hit the gym, but I'm usually not hungry until after I finish my workout.
  • jmvane15
    Options
    I, too, do not eat before breakfast; I had the same problem, throwing it up. So I eat after now.
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I have an energy gel of some sort (I like GU best), or a half-cup of Chocolate Cheerios (for some reason, the only solid food I've tried that my stomach will tolerate before exercise). Then I eat my breakfast once I get to work. I don't have problems with throwing up, but my stomach gets upset and crampy very easily.
  • sundancer1966
    sundancer1966 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I workout in the AM, and I eat nothing. I used to do a protein shake, but forgot one day and there was no difference. I eat after I get cleaned up after workout. If I eat, then I get nauseas.

you have to do what is right for you, there is no right or wrong.
  • LotusLoo
    Options
    The banana is a great choice for that carbohydrate energy that you'll be needing during your workout; however, timing is the thing to watch. Since your body needs a bit of time to digest something like a banana, you should give it about an hour before heading into your workout. If you are really in a time crunch, then try something comprised of a fluid, like orange juice or a small liquidy smoothie.

Try to stick to having breakfast before your workout, especially if you want to have the ability to push harder during. Your carbohydrate stores (liver stores in particular) deplete overnight and a serving of carbohydrates in the morning will help to replace some of that. AND why do you want to do this? - because your body runs on carbohydrate, especially as you push hard during a workout. You'll be able workout harder with less fatigue if you give your body some carbs as a fuel source.

Last note - your stomach is a muscle and it can be trained to tolerate foods and fluids. So, don't give up on breakfast before your workout just because you threw up this once. Work with the timing a bit and try smaller amounts to get started. Good luck!
  • Mist1981
    Mist1981 Posts: 145
    Options
    I workout early in the morning, about 5:00, so typically just drink water as I am working out. I drink a protein shake right after while I am taking a shower, getting myself, and kiddos ready. My protein shake has 30g of protein so it keeps me full for a while. I will then eat greek yogurt around 9:30-10:00 as a snack. Definitely listen to your body! I can never eat close to working out or i get sick!
  • Mist1981
    Mist1981 Posts: 145
    Options
    I workout early in the morning, about 5:00, so typically just drink water as I am working out. I drink a protein shake right after while I am taking a shower, getting myself, and kiddos ready. My protein shake has 30g of protein so it keeps me full for a while. I will then eat greek yogurt around 9:30-10:00 as a snack. Definitely listen to your body! I can never eat close to working out or i get sick!
  • mhrhoades
    Options
    I have a protein shake about 30 minutes before working out in the morning. It took me a lot of experimenting to figure out what I could eat before working out. I started out trying things like fruit (bananas, apples, oranges - none worked), then yogurt (just tried different brands - none worked), then ended up with protein shakes (even here I had to experiment to find the right flavor - chocolate absolutely upsets my stomach).
  • Paxnyokes
    Paxnyokes Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have oats with blueberries and walnuts before my workout and a snack after.
  • lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5 am and do not eat anything before I workout. I usually will eat by 8 am....unless my blood sugar drops, then I will eat a snack....1 tbls Peanut butter and 1 slice of bread. Otherwise I usually am pretty good until 8. Everyone is different!
  • ThinningDownChick
    ThinningDownChick Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    If I work out FIRST thing in the AM all I have is BCAA's mixed with water before/during my workout. Then I eat as soon as I'm done.