CARBS

Options
Carbs

I usually try to stay under on carbs and sugar no matter what it's from. I have heard people say it's ok as long as its from fruits and veggies. What is everyones thoughts on this.

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Carbs

I usually try to stay under on carbs and sugar no matter what it's from. I have heard people say it's ok as long as its from fruits and veggies. What is everyones thoughts on this.

Focus on getting in adequate amounts of proteins and fats (a minimum of 1g of protein per lb of lbm and .35g of fat per lb of bw) and then spread out your cals as you please. There really is no upper limit on any macro, assuming you are getting decent amounts of protein and fats
  • steffiejoe
    steffiejoe Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Carbs from fruit and vegetables have had no negative effect on my weight loss journey.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,319 Member
    Options
    I prefer Pillsbury carbs.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Get your popcorn.:drinker:
  • twynzmom
    twynzmom Posts: 172
    Options
    I laid off of fruit for about a month and was losing weight quite nicely...added fruit back to my diet this week and feel sluggish and heavy..I'm scared to weigh myself!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    MFP carbs are set pretty high. I'd probably adjust my diet if I was over on carbs every day. I wouldn't worry about sugar from fruits and veggies unless it was very high, then I'd switch some of the fruit for more veggies. But that's just me, do what works best for you.
  • MsPetuniaPig
    MsPetuniaPig Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    If you are counting carbs, you want the ones that impact your glycemic index in the least amount. It is not so much that they are bad for you in any way, it is the crash afterwards that makes you feel hungry again.
  • yarmiah
    yarmiah Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    There is little or no nutritional benefit in "simple" carbs that are found in processed foods mostly.
    IN addition, simple carbs/empty carbs are highly addictive- even if they are fat free, you end up
    eating so much more than you can burn, and then the leftovers are stored, as you guessed it . . fat!

Complex carbs are the way to go- those found naturally like fruits, veggies and whol grains. But
    be sure to watch the sugar content- don't over do it. My trainer has me limit any carbs to be
    consumed before 4pm also.

If you eat enough protein and healthy fats, as well of complex carbs you should feel fuller, longer.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Carbs at my own free will are my enemy :ohwell: They cause me to have amnesia as to what I've done with them and I break out in fat all over my body. I find it best when I keep carbs slightly lower and fill up on other types of foods.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    Carbs are the least valuable nutrient and the most likely to be over-consumed.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    There is little or no nutritional benefit in "simple" carbs that are found in processed foods mostly.
    IN addition, simple carbs/empty carbs are highly addictive- even if they are fat free, you end up
    eating so much more than you can burn, and then the leftovers are stored, as you guessed it . . fat!

Complex carbs are the way to go- those found naturally like fruits, veggies and whol grains. But
    be sure to watch the sugar content- don't over do it. My trainer has me limit any carbs to be

If you eat enough protein and healthy fats, as well of complex carbs you should feel fuller, longer.

Curious as your trainers stated reasoning for limiting carbs after 4pm
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I think carbs taste simply delightful. But, as in all things, too many can be a not good thing.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    This will depend entirely on your own individual metabolism. People can tell you what worked for them, but it won't necessarily work for you. Some people can just do "calories in / calories out" and completely ignore keeping track of what kind of calories they are, and it works fine for them. Lucky people. But some people's metabolisms process certain kinds of calories better than others.

It is estimated that as many as one in four women have some level of insulin resistance, and therefore some level of sensitivity to carbs. Some people switch from white flour to whole grains, and limit their sugar, and that is enough to make their bodies happy. Other people have to go further and cut out grains & sugar completely. Others have to go even further and severely limit their fruits, because even "natural" sugars will spike their blood sugar. Some even have to be very careful about which veggies they choose (that's me, I'm only allowed 25-30 carbs per day so I make sure & use them for healthy, lower-carb higher-protein veggies so I can eat more of them).

So no one can really answer this for you. You'll just have to decide through trial and error and listening to your body. Good luck!
  • Jkittels
    Jkittels Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I also try to stay under my carb level. I'm type I diabetic, so it is important for me to maintain my glucose levels. When I have them, I do try to keep them low glycemic...(fruits, veggies, whole grain).

I'm a monster when allowed to eat carbs at "free will" !!!!

Julie
  • Ahluvly
    Ahluvly Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    My advice on fruit, based on what I've learnt about nutrition off my own back is, be careful with dried fruits and tropical fruits as they're high in sugars....e.g. bananas, grapes, pineapples and mangos!

I hope that helps! :)
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Get your popcorn.:drinker:

Psst! The kettle corn has NO sugar! Woohoo!
  • MeRevisitedAgain
    MeRevisitedAgain Posts: 38 Member
    Options

Curious as your trainers stated reasoning for limiting carbs after 4pm

I had a trainer at Max Muscle Sports Nutrition pretty much tell me the same thing. However, she said to limit simple carbs and eating high sugar content after lunch time and at the latest 3-4pm.

Something to do with the break down process, but to be honest I can't remember why she told me that.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    It's a density thing. Nutrients aside, it's just really easy to eat 100g carbs in grains, and really hard to eat 100g of broccoli. By focusing on low-density carbs you will feel fuller. And happier.
  • jcr85
    jcr85 Posts: 229
    Options
    Carbs are the least valuable nutrient and the most likely to be over-consumed.

Great information here I really liked your source.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

No offense, but this is completely wrong. Simple carbs just mean simple sugars, which means all fruits are simple carbs, since they are just glucose, fructose, and sucrose. By contrast, ALL grains, no matter how they are processed, are complex carbs. When it comes to carbs, simple or complex is irrelevant, fiber is what's important. An apple is a simple carb, but has plenty of fiber, which makes it a better choice than say, white bread, which is a complex carb, but has little fiber.