I have a weird question

Options
So you may think this is weird but I am just wondering if it helps or does any good by me doing it...When I eat pizza(havent lately) I take a napkin and soak the grease off the top, thinking that it helps with the fat calories....Also when I eat chicken noodle soup, I empty all of the broth out in the sink and then fill the can up 1/2 way with water ( to reduce the sodium)(still taste just as good to me)...What do you guys think?

Replies

• Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I think you're over thinking things too much. :)
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's weird, I do the same thing if I eat pizza! Probably not a bad idea to switch out some of the broth with water, either, since there's an overload of sodium in canned soup. Canned anything, really!
  • dobenjam
    dobenjam Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I think every little bit helps and there is no reason to eat things you don't miss.
  • SingSmileLaugh
    Options
    I think every little bit helps and there is no reason to eat things you don't miss.

I don't miss brussel sprouts...does that mean i can skip eating them!? hehe
  • dobenjam
    dobenjam Posts: 232 Member
    Options

I don't miss brussel sprouts...does that mean i can skip eating them!? hehe

LoL, I don't miss them either
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    It's not weird. I do the same thing with the pizza not so much to save on the calories but the grease floating on top is just gross! I imagine every little bit adds up. If it works for you then keep doing it!
  • patmc35
    patmc35 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    just read an article and this was discussed. it said it doesn't really do much, but i guess if it makes you feel better....
    and I would miss brussel sprouts
  • erikjacki
    erikjacki Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    When I was on WW, clearing the grease off of pizza was a "must" according to our leader. I say good for you! ~especially if it makes you feel better. (It seems much of this process is psychological anyway- at least for me!)
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    Keep on...keepin on!

Every little bit helps!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I think you should be buying better pizza and soup. Unless it's with pepperoni, a pizza really shouldn't be greasy unless they are using a low-quality "cheese product" and there are lots of excellent lower-sodium soups out there that have more flavor.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    not wierd, good ideas
  • NicolePatriot
    NicolePatriot Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Do it if it makes you feel better. Every little bit helps, right? Maybe next time try making your own pizza...then you probably wouldn't have any grease to wipe off :)
  • RosieWest8
    RosieWest8 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I think I heard somewhere that it can save you anywhere from 1-5 grams of fat. So if that's worth it to you then blot away! I don't think that pools of grease on pizza is particularly appetizing anyway. And, every little bit counts. I'd say your soup swap technique is doing you more good than the pizza blotting, I bet you are cutting a huge amount of sodium by doing that.
  • NicolePatriot
    NicolePatriot Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Oh, also...I read on a weight loss blog how the girl usually eats her soup with a fork...cuts down on a TON of sodium...maybe you can try that too.
  • MissB0949
    MissB0949 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Smart moves girl. I fully believe in blotting pizza. I'm sure that little bit of grease matters to your arteries.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Yes, those things help. It's just logical that if you remove some fat or sodium from a food that you will consume less fat/sodium than if you had not removed it. I always do the same thing, partly because I don't want the sodium or that type of fat, and partly because I think it tastes better.
  • kmp411
    kmp411 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I think you're over thinking things too much. :)
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Most pizza starts at around 250 calories or more per slice and goes up from there.
    Counting calories is all about estimating. I would say at the end of the day you're most likely going to end up at plus or minus 250 calories. Maybe less depending on how accurate you track.
    The amount of calories and fat you are getting rid of by soaking a little grease off the top would be minimal and with the plus or minus factor figured in, probably won't make much difference. Just enjoy the pizza in it's natural greasiness and make sure you fit it into your daily calories.

IMO... ending your day in a caloric deficit is more important than what you actually eat. I know that sounds crazy but I have read a lot of articles that support that very idea.
  • lleabrooks
    lleabrooks Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I do the napkin on the pizza thing too. Not sure how many calories it saves, but it makes the pizza less messy. ;-)
  • dedication6
    dedication6 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I have always done this!! I also eat my salad with the dressing on the side, I dip my fork in the dressing (Dip, not Dunk!!) There's alot of dressing left over, but I still get the flavor!

I should say I have always blotted my pizza (it helps to not have pepperoni on it to begin with!!) I should def try the soup thing!!