Is HIIT the most misused term on these boards?

Options
13»

Replies

• poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I do HIIT training every day along with my HCG diet. . . Lose 100 lbs in 30 days!
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I only call it a HIIT workout if it made me nauseous or about to collapse.

Yep! I almost did this last night.
  • laurelderry
    laurelderry Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I do HIIT training every day along with my HCG diet. . . Lose 100 lbs in 30 days!

Haha!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    if all the 20 minute elliptical bunnies did HIIT 3-4 times a week we would never see another "OMG...I ATE PIZZA DID I RUIN EVERYTHING? post again
  • walkwithme1
    walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    if all the 20 minute elliptical bunnies did HIIT 3-4 times a week we would never see another "OMG...I ATE PIZZA DID I RUIN EVERYTHING? post again

My trainer and doctor both pointed something out to me, all those people you see on the treadmill doing the same speed, incline etc day after day, how many of their bodies do you see actually changing? You don't see them losing weight because nothing about their workout is changing. I started paying attention to it and saw they were right. Months later they still looked the same. Hiit makes sense to me.
  • sarahgilmore
    sarahgilmore Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I once saw someone log "tabata" for 60 minutes!

If you can do it for 60 minutes, you're doing it wrong!
  • walkwithme1
    walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Love this! Great description!! Especially this: "I'm sure people think I'm NUTS pedaling so freakin hard for 30 seconds at a time"

I got hooked on the spin bike. I do 30 miles in about an hour and am going all out. I've had the weak, wobbly, dizzy feeling when I get off and have almost hit the floor and people look at me like I've lost my mind. I put my head down and go. Such a great feeling. I do several minutes at around 110-115 rpms drop to 100 for a minute and then back at it! One of the best workouts for me ever! I don't do the 30 miles too often, but I'll do smaller increments like 10-15 miles. Hard for me to NOT get on the bike at the gym.
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Before my personal training sessions (3 times a week) I warm up by doing HIIT on the treadmill:

8.2 mph for 30 - 45 seconds
    4.0 mph for 1 minute to 1.5 minutes
    Repeat for a total of 10 minutes

I am extremely winded after doing the 8.2 mph portion.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Anyone who considers walking and jogging "High intensity" has a screw loose. They also probably log "food preparation" calories at 800 after eating 800 over their calories for the day...........

Everyone starts somewhere. Just because it isn't "high intensity" for you, doesn't mean that someone for whom it is high intensity has a screw loose. That's pretty insulting. People are at varying fitness levels.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes it is.

In order to even attempt a real HIIT workout you have to already have some level of fitness, or you're not gonna even come close to finishing and you'll probably be puking.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes it is.

In order to even attempt a real HIIT workout you have to already have some level of fitness, or you're not gonna even come close to finishing and you'll probably be puking.

resepctfully disagree. unkess you have been medically restricted..like a heart condition or something...it isnt too early to start some HIIT. There is no set time limit so Im not sure what you mean by "finish".

Even starting with only a few minutes of HIT per session is beneficial.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Taking in my two earlier posts into consideration... HIIT workouts should be based on your HR and lactate threshold. Because everyone is different the actual level of intensity would also be different for each individual.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    This is my HIIT routine:

5 mins steady state cardio
    30 second high heart rate
    90 second low intensity
    60 second low intensity
    45 second low intensity
    45 second low intensity
    45 second low intensity
    45 second low intensity
    45 second low intensity
    45 second low intensity
    45 second low intensity
    5 mins steady state
  • lisabel87
    lisabel87 Posts: 152
    Options
    All HIIT workouts are intervals, but NOT all interval workouts are HIIT.

I'm not even a HIIT guy. I'm a distance runner, generally focused on marathon & half marathon training. I usually do intervals once a week (mile or half mile repeats). 7 x 1/2 mile repeats (at 5k pace) with 90 second jogs in between is a great workout for me, but it is not HIIT.

Repeats of walking for a two minutes and jogging for one minute is a good workout, but it is not HIIT.

Intervals are good whether or not they are HIIT, but those of you not doing HIIT shouldn't think we are reaping the benefits.

So than what IS HIIT??
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    All HIIT workouts are intervals, but NOT all interval workouts are HIIT.

I'm not even a HIIT guy. I'm a distance runner, generally focused on marathon & half marathon training. I usually do intervals once a week (mile or half mile repeats). 7 x 1/2 mile repeats (at 5k pace) with 90 second jogs in between is a great workout for me, but it is not HIIT.

Repeats of walking for a two minutes and jogging for one minute is a good workout, but it is not HIIT.

Intervals are good whether or not they are HIIT, but those of you not doing HIIT shouldn't think we are reaping the benefits.

So than what IS HIIT??
    http://www.brinkzone.com/training-programs/hiit-training-are-you-really-doing-it/