Calorie Deficit - I've studied but still confused

Options
2»

Replies

• t_rog
    t_rog Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    If you are eating 2500 calories a day, you can sustain much larger deficits without suffering adverse effects, as long as you are following a balanced workout program-that includes resistance training. No one eating that much is going to ever go into "starvation mode".

People who run into issues are those who are trying to get away with the bare minimum and combine that with a lot of high-intensity exercise.

If you are that big, the "2lb a week rule" doesn't apply -- at least not for a while. If you have concerns, talk to a registered dietitian for some real professional advice.

This exactly. Eventually you will have to start trying to get closer to your calorie goal as it will be smaller.

Just wanted to add two things - 1. you are right about the Biggest Loser, but also remember they are under constant medical and "professional" supervision. Not that I agree the show is the best example of a healthy, realistic sustainable weight loss plan.
    2. Often when people say they can't get all their calories in, they are eating low fat/low cal versions of some food. In those cases, it would be better to choose the full version of those things. Low fat or low calorie is not necessarily "healthier" so if you can afford to eat the full versions, do it.

Completely agree with the above 2 posters. At that high of weight/calories, you are in no way in risk of starvation mode. it's eating around 1200 or less that is the problem.
    Also, the Biggest Loser is completely unrealistic for average people. 10lbs/week isn't really sustainable and it sucks that they make people think that's what should/can happen...
    Last thing....if you're struggling that much with getting in enough calories then, why not just not work out? It seems you have enough of a calorie deficit as it is. Maybe incorporate it later.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Given that you have a lot to lose, you can sustain a larger deficit for quite a while. I think you're a-ok, even with 900+ calories left over at the end of the day.

Re-assess every few months. Good luck! :drinker:
  • SithZombie
    SithZombie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    My max calorie intake goal is 1440 right now. When I exercise, I don't eat back the calories I burnt, UNLESS MFP warns me that I've not had enough calories today. It will literally red flag it at the bottom of your food diary, telling you that you haven't consumed enough.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    also, on MFP is the first time i've ever heard about eating back exercise calories. I do not and lose weight just fine. The trick is to not eat 1200 cals and expect to be able to exercise.
    that would be because most plans tell you to eat (for example) 2000 calories, and make sure to exercise every day to burn 500 calories. (netting 1500)
    mfp says "ok - you might or might not exercise, just in case you dont - eat 1500. then if you do burn 500 through exercise, eat those too"
    either way youre eating the same number of calories.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    bump to reply tomorrow.