Acai

Options
2»

Replies

• killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    For those of you that poop on a regular basis, well good for you. I do not..................

I crack up at people giving their "opinions" around here. I think it is important that we share our experiences, that is all that really matter. Opinions are like aholes ya know, everyone has one and they are usually full of *kitten*.

Your 2 cents dont mean jack, and that is my 2 cents.
    If you actually need it to go in the first place...that's an entirely different subject. Using it to do a so called 'cleanse' is nonsense. Thanks for your childish retort as well.
  • AlbertPooHoles
    AlbertPooHoles Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I crack up at people giving their "opinions" around here. I think it is important that we share our experiences, that is all that really matter.
    So, opinions -- especially those based on reputable data -- are a bad thing? Do I have to do meth to know if it's good or bad for me? :huh:
    Opinions are like aholes ya know, everyone has one and they are usually full of *kitten*.
    My "a-hole" is rarely full of *kitten*. It's a portal, not a storage area. If yours is, I suggest using moist towelettes in addition to TP. :flowerforyou:
    How about the opinions of medical professionals?

The body does an excellent job of "cleansing" itself. Just treat it right and it will treat you right. There is no "cleanse" as effective as simply eating well.

"The best way to 'detox' the body is simply to let your body do its job. Unless you have a medical problem, your body takes care of itself quite nicely, experts say.

"The liver and kidneys are nature's best-kept secret, because they are the weapons to eliminate toxins from your body," says Gerbstadt. "If you are concerned about certain substances in your diet, it is easier and safer to simply eliminate [those substances] rather than engage in unhealthy detox plans."

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=64306
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/detox-diets-purging-myths

According to Chau Che MD, with New York University:

"Despite evidence to the contrary, the idea that colon cleansing is therapeutic by removing impurities, lives on. However, these claims largely fail to consider normal physiology. The digestive tract has inherent properties that work to clean our colon. After food ingestion, the small intestine absorbs nutrients and contracts to move indigestible residue into the colon. The colon continues the digestive process by absorbing and secreting electrolytes and fluids while its resident bacteria ferments the undigested food products. These are just some of the many mechanisms in which the digestive tract works in order to ensure that the colon does not become encrusted with fecal matter as some products claim. The black, rubbery material passed on a colon cleanse is actually a byproduct from the supplements and fiber in the colon cleansing product as opposed to old fecal material, in which consumers are led to believe."

http://www.clinicalcorrelations.org/?p=1605
    Reviewed by Michael Poles MD and Fritz Francois MD, NYU Division of Gastroenterology
  • RonKay
    RonKay Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I've been taking Acai supplements for about 3 weeks now and I've found my energy levels have increased. As for pooping- I haven't noticed any increase in my toilet activity. I did not start taking it for weight loss, I haven't lost any considerable amounts of weight since being on it.
  • sondra216379
    sondra216379 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I did not ask as far as making myself poop..geez I have read that it helps cleanse your system and burn fat...I eat healthy and exercise everyday so wherever the idea came from that I asked for laxative purposes is ridiculous.
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I tried Acai Cofffee. Dropped alot of weight in the process but I had terrible side effects was moody, had little sleep, constipated and my blood pressure shot up dangerously. Next thing I got an email to say they have banned a sustance that was found in it so they put me on another acai coffee and I whacked on weight.....

Im here to do this the proper way and taking responsibility for what goes in my gob. Thanks MFP for giving me this amazing tool.
  • MSepp
    MSepp Posts: 228
    Options
    As a dietitian I have to warn you-lots of companies and products go for the "quick weight loss" scheme. Even if it did somehow result in weight loss-and usually these kinds of products do not-it will not likely be long-term/sustainable.

Eating a healthy diet and working out is the best way to stay healthy and fit.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    on CNN todfay they said the Feds arrested marketers of this stuff for false advertising or something...I only caught the soundbite
  • MSepp
    MSepp Posts: 228
    Options
    on CNN todfay they said the Feds arrested marketers of this stuff for false advertising or something...I only caught the soundbite

Not terribly surprised.
  • sondra216379
    sondra216379 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    again i was talking as a supplement not a miracle cure or anything of the sort
  • rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I crack up at people giving their "opinions" around here. I think it is important that we share our experiences, that is all that really matter.
    So, opinions -- especially those based on reputable data -- are a bad thing? Do I have to do meth to know if it's good or bad for me? :huh:
    Opinions are like aholes ya know, everyone has one and they are usually full of *kitten*.
    My "a-hole" is rarely full of *kitten*. It's a portal, not a storage area. If yours is, I suggest using moist towelettes in addition to TP. :flowerforyou:
    How about the opinions of medical professionals?

The body does an excellent job of "cleansing" itself. Just treat it right and it will treat you right. There is no "cleanse" as effective as simply eating well.

"The best way to 'detox' the body is simply to let your body do its job. Unless you have a medical problem, your body takes care of itself quite nicely, experts say.

"The liver and kidneys are nature's best-kept secret, because they are the weapons to eliminate toxins from your body," says Gerbstadt. "If you are concerned about certain substances in your diet, it is easier and safer to simply eliminate [those substances] rather than engage in unhealthy detox plans."

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=64306
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/detox-diets-purging-myths

According to Chau Che MD, with New York University:

"Despite evidence to the contrary, the idea that colon cleansing is therapeutic by removing impurities, lives on. However, these claims largely fail to consider normal physiology. The digestive tract has inherent properties that work to clean our colon. After food ingestion, the small intestine absorbs nutrients and contracts to move indigestible residue into the colon. The colon continues the digestive process by absorbing and secreting electrolytes and fluids while its resident bacteria ferments the undigested food products. These are just some of the many mechanisms in which the digestive tract works in order to ensure that the colon does not become encrusted with fecal matter as some products claim. The black, rubbery material passed on a colon cleanse is actually a byproduct from the supplements and fiber in the colon cleansing product as opposed to old fecal material, in which consumers are led to believe."

http://www.clinicalcorrelations.org/?p=1605
    Reviewed by Michael Poles MD and Fritz Francois MD, NYU Division of Gastroenterology

HEY, No Fair. Using facts is just SO wrong in an online argument. Next thing you're going to tell me is that candle-ing doesn't really help clean my ears......