Tanning?!

Options

Replies

• agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I'm super pale and have no HOPE of tanning (as you can see), so I have stayed out of the sun all my life. Now at age 43, I have no wrinkles, and people routinely think I'm 10 years younger than my age. My sister, who is a year younger than me, now looks at 5 years older than me. She never even went to a tanning salon, just went to the beach a few times every summer.

When I was in college, there were a lot of girls who laid out in the sun and used tanning beds. At my 15 college reunion, when we were all in our mid-30s, I saw those girls, and you could see their wrinkles ACROSS THE ROOM. and this was at night.

If you want your skin to be pretty when you're over 40, don't tan. not in the sun or in a tanning bed.
  • sche1amy
    sche1amy Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I am very fair skinned and you can see veins also. I have a skin condition though taht is called vitiligo which caused me to lose the pigment in my skin . So I will never be able to tan but I might add I am 10 years older then a sister of mine that tans and people thihnk I am younger, woop woop! Be proud of who you are and your beautiful skin color :0) But as many said or suggestd I also do a spray tan now and then and use Jergens lotion with gradual tanner in it! It works great and you control the color. My bf loves me and my super fair skin. Think he gets a kick out of people thinking I am younger, lol!
  • SandersWifey
    Options
    I stopped using tanning beds a few months ago. The skin damage and risks were just not worth it to me. I use the Jergens gradual tannin lotion and it works really well! I have been using it over a month and have not noticed any blotches, streaks, or weird coloration.
  • TMLPatrick
    TMLPatrick Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    FWIW, pale is hot....
  • falfal923
    falfal923 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Tanning is not safe, we all know this! It causes skin cancer but I must say I am guilty of tanning in the summer to the point I do not look like myself. I feel like everyone looks better with a tan. I am not promoting tanning but some doctors say vitamin D is good for you and you get Vitamin D from the sun. But just like weight loss, everything in moderation. My opinion. IN MODERATION!
  • hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I had skin cancer at 24 and am STILL having to deal with it. I suggest just embracing your natural color so you never (or rarely) have to have any lesions removed. I have 2 crater-like scars on my face now because of tanning in tanning beds and sun damage. I think those are worse than a few veins showing through.

PS, your skin is probably just thin, which means your veins will still show regardless of being tan or not.
  • skir927
    skir927 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Carrots and tomatoes! No joke. I've done the airbrush tan in a salon (where a person actually sprays you tan, not a booth), and that turns out very well too.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    embrace pale
  • agentscully514
    Options
    I take vitamin D in a pill, every day, and that gives me all I need. It's cheap, easy to find, and doesn't give you cancer.
  • LiquidSugarr
    LiquidSugarr Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hey Everybody-

I am pretty white skin color- sometimes you can see my viens- It makes me really uncomfortable and really lowers my self esteem. I have thought alot about tanning- I have no idea what would be best?

Tanning beds- (heard thats very bad for your skin- not sure if I want to damage my skin)
    Tanning lotions (stuff you can get at the store and it gradually tans you----heard some of it can make you orange and blotch??)
    Tanning sprays? (you can get it at beauty supply stores---heard it can turn you orange nad blotchty)
    ---I heard there is some tanning beds that are less harmful to your skin......

What would you reccomend? (p.s I dont want to be dark dark or orange- im not into the fad of being tan tan- i just want to add some color to my skin so i feel better...)
    ANY thoughts or advice would be greatly apperciated!!THANK YOU and i hope i get some feedback!!

Tanning beds aren't really bad for your skin. They're the same rays that the sun naturally gives off. Some tanning benefits are: the "sunlight" rays stimulates the thyroid gland, which boosts your metabolism, if you have psoriasis it helps improve it, decreases adrenaline levels and release endorphins, if you have the winter blues it'll cheer you up, and it helps clear up acne. I tan almost every day, sometimes I'll skip a week here or there.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I take vitamin D in a pill, every day, and that gives me all I need. It's cheap, easy to find, and doesn't give you cancer.
    I already use Dovonex, which is a topical Vitamin D ointment...you cannot use Vit. D supplements along with using it. They definitely tell you not to do that. And again...my dermatologist is the one that told me to go no more than 3 times a week, 5 minutes a time...BUT it's also because I have a darker complexion, if I was pale she would not have suggested it.
  • agentscully514
    Options
    20 years from now, you are going to be very, very sorry you did this.

Tanning beds aren't really bad for your skin. They're the same rays that the sun naturally gives off. Some tanning benefits are: the "sunlight" rays stimulates the thyroid gland, which boosts your metabolism, if you have psoriasis it helps improve it, decreases adrenaline levels and release endorphins, if you have the winter blues it'll cheer you up, and it helps clear up acne. I tan almost every day, sometimes I'll skip a week here or there.
  • Katie0174
    Katie0174 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hey Everybody-

I am pretty white skin color- sometimes you can see my viens- It makes me really uncomfortable and really lowers my self esteem. I have thought alot about tanning- I have no idea what would be best?

Tanning beds- (heard thats very bad for your skin- not sure if I want to damage my skin)
    Tanning lotions (stuff you can get at the store and it gradually tans you----heard some of it can make you orange and blotch??)
    Tanning sprays? (you can get it at beauty supply stores---heard it can turn you orange nad blotchty)
    ---I heard there is some tanning beds that are less harmful to your skin......

What would you reccomend? (p.s I dont want to be dark dark or orange- im not into the fad of being tan tan- i just want to add some color to my skin so i feel better...)
    ANY thoughts or advice would be greatly apperciated!!THANK YOU and i hope i get some feedback!!

Tanning beds are hideously bad for you, they have like little pamphlets and stuff that have "information"about how tanning is not actually that bad for you. IT IS, they're just trying to sell you a product. Tanning beds are SO much worse than the sun because it's concentrated UV lights. If you're very pale it only takes limited exposure to increase your chances of getting skin cancer, by A LOT.

I'm very pale like you, people always call me "casper" and comment on it..it's ridiculous, so I know how you feel, trust me haha. There's a brand of self tanners called St. Tropez and they come in a brown colour lotion or foam so you can see where you put it on, you're less likely to miss spots that way. It's good quality stuff so it actually makes you brown instead of orange...unless you put it on too much.

I so recommend you do this instead of the tanning bed, it's really not worth it when you're older.
  • agentscully514
    Options
    it's one thing to go for a few minutes a week for medical reasons. That's not at all what most people are talking about (or doing).

I have psoriasis too, but given my redhead skin, using a tanning bed is out of the question.

I already use Dovonex, which is a topical Vitamin D ointment...you cannot use Vit. D supplements along with using it. They definitely tell you not to do that. And again...my dermatologist is the one that told me to go no more than 3 times a week, 5 minutes a time...BUT it's also because I have a darker complexion, if I was pale she would not have suggested it.
  • killagb
    Options

I'd agree...going every day is not a good idea under any circumstance.
  • Katie0174
    Katie0174 Posts: 33 Member
    Options

They're TERRIBLE for your skin...they're a concentrated version of the rays the sun gives off. People only really need to be in the sun for 15 min a day to get the benefits...
  • killagb
    Options
    it's one thing to go for a few minutes a week for medical reasons. That's not at all what most people are talking about (or doing).

I have psoriasis too, but given my redhead skin, using a tanning bed is out of the question.

You're right. Many of the bubbly tan girls that work at the salon try to push their bronzer lotions and to get you to use higher concentration machines and for long periods of time. Sadly this is more of the norm for people that DO use the beds. Also I should note that while I enjoy the mild tan I get from going, I only go because of the doctor recommendation, not vanity.
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options

20 years from now she will look 40 years older. I'm willing to bet she'll be very, very sorry LONG before then.

I don't tan. I have dark hair and dark eyes but a very pale complexion. I embraced my paleness at a very young age and never did the laying out to tan thing like my sisters did when we were teenagers. I'm 42. My sisters are 40. Both of them look like they are pushing 50. I got carded for beer 2 weeks ago.
  • hellokello
    hellokello Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Pale is pretty :) Come on - the vampire thing is so in right now! j/k I love pale skin. It's so much prettier than orange. But if you want color, take melanin capsules and get a spray tan.
  • hellokello
    hellokello Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    And by spray tan, I DON'T mean the stuff you buy at a store, that stuff is awful. I'm talking about Mystic tan. Just have them go light on you.