Tanning?!

Options

Replies

• albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I prefer tanning beds honestly. I don't like lotions/sprays. Always seem to streak or a little orange. Plus laying in a bed is warm, relaxing, and awesome when it is cold out

this gal's got it right............
  • plbradley
    Options
    I used the baby lotion too!. Plus a few times on the tanning beds "so I wouldnt burn on vacation". In the past year I've had 2 surgeries on my nose for basal cell carcinoma with plastic surgery needed afterwords including skin and cartilage grafts. Keep your pale skin and stay healthy!
  • hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised how many people are trying to justify the "benefits" of sun-tanning (beds AND outdoors.) The facts are there, people. I'm living proof. It's a free country (USA), so you can do whatever you please. But, if you don't care about how you look in the future and if you're fine with paying the excise taxes for using tanning beds, then so be it.

Pale is beautiful. Dark is beautiful. Everything in between is beautiful.
  • megmay2591
    megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I have a similar situation, I am VERY pale naturally. But when I do get in the sun I can get a tan through out the summer. I'm thinking of going to the tanning bed before my vacation in March so I don't completely fry.

Just don't let it become something you do very often. I'm gonna start with 5-6 minutes my first day, then wait at least 5-7 days till I go again and increase the time just by a little bit. It's good to get some color in your skin, and yes tanning beds are bad, but so is the sun. Just don't overdo it, just go a few times to get some color!
  • jeaninemckinney
    Options
    Oh how i love to go tanning...but when i heard that it increases your risk for cancer by 70% that kinda made me stop! I miss it and still wanna go but it was so nice and warm and relaxing! I always felt better looking with a tan...with a healthy glow! But ill choose pale over cancer any day! Own your beauty...whatever u got make it work because its what god gave u and like it or not your stuck with it lol! :flowerforyou:
  • skstogsdill
    Options
    EMBRACE YOUR NATURAL SKIN TONE!!!!!!

My advice? Don't go out of your way to tan. And actually wear an SPF, most importantly on your face, every day.

I am naturally VERY fair. My profile pic... I had been in the Caribbean for 5 days already when that was taken.

When I was a teenager and in my early 20s, I tanned. Not just to try to get rid of my tan lines from sports, but because I wanted to be one of those girls with an awesome tan. To make matters worse, I grew up in Las Vegas (the desert).

But trust me, its not sustainable and it destroys your skin. Save your skin while you're young!!

I'm going on 30, and for the last several years I've been working on getting rid of the brown spots and uneven complexion that developed because of all of the sun and tanning bed exposure from when I was younger. I've come to EMBRACE my natural complexion, and if I want a little color boost, I'll use body lotion that has a fair-toned gradual self tanner in it for a couple of days.

Fair skin is beautiful! Protect it!

Yes, the sun is good for your skin. And its not just good for your skin, but its also good for your overall health and well-being. But you get all the benefits of the sun if you wear an SPF.
  • crazybeautifulkittie
    Options
    Tanning with UV light whether from sun or from tanning bed regardless of how long or short (seriously, why risk it) = say hello to skin cancer. So don't do it.

I recommend self tanners if you MUST have color. For very special occasions. Go get it airbrushed done by one of the salons. Any tanning salon should have it, it works best when a human actually sprays you down. Sure you're standing infront of someone nude save for your thong, but it makes it very even and you can even get your back.

I personally really like L'oreal Micromist sublime glow (http://www.amazon.com/LOreal-Sublime-Moisturizing-MicroFine-Enhancer/dp/B0014ZWHX8), it works well and since its a spray you can reach your back too. Just make sure you exfoliate and keep moisturized.

Also to enhance your beautiful skin as is you can always put on a shimmer cream. Gives the skin a subtle glow that can be a suggestion of sexy.
  • DTetz
    DTetz Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Tanning beds are only horrible if you use them a lot... there is nothing wrong with going a few times for a few minutes. UV rays are not all bad for our bodies. They help to improve our energy and mood :P I am naturally tan and I still like going a few times during the winter just to feel that warmth and get some "sun"... it helps improve my mood some.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Just want to throw this out there; the only tan I find attractive is one gained under the sun. Anything else seems rather forced, and as long as your skin is clear and clean the tone is of very minor importance.
  • Mandykinz2008
    Mandykinz2008 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I honestly LOVE the feeling of the beds but yes they are terrible for you. If you're going to go sprays for health, look into professional sprays to avoid lines and look more natural, but know the upkeep is expensive.
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    tanning bed = my drug:laugh:
  • niknanette
    Options
    For an 18 year old who has extremely ugly scars from having Melanoma removed.. tanning beds are a NO GO. Trust me, if being pale lowers your self esteem, big ugly scars will do much worse.

Try taking (certain) Vitamins to help! Or tanning sprays.. As long and you follow the instructions you should look fine. OH and I've never had problems with tanning lotions, but if you use those remember to wash your hands after!

Best wishes!

Ditto! Brief use of tanning beds in high school caused melanoma at age 23 and a big ugly scar. Luckily it's hidden usually....but that's also how my doctors and I knew if was from the tanning beds, that part of my body has never seen the sun! I say embrace your beautiful light skin.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    I thought bout using a gradual tanner this summer.
  • Capt_Chev
    Capt_Chev Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Kinda surprised no one threw this out there, but before you tan, think about what you could end up looking like!

bad_tan_funny_badtans-com_0015.jpg

http://www.badtans.com/

You're welcome! :)
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    i use a tanning booth in moderation. its for ten minutes and i might go four times a month or not at all in a month .. i tan easy though. i went four times this january and everyone thinks i went on a vacation down south..nope just went on a few ten minute vacation at the plaza lol
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I like the Mystic Tan. In moderation, not set to carrot-orange. I get it before I need to wear a strapless dress or before a vacation.
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    Kinda surprised no one threw this out there, but before you tan, think about what you could end up looking like!

out there in this world someone ,somewhere would find that attractive
  • Capt_Chev
    Capt_Chev Posts: 93 Member
    Options

out there in this world someone ,somewhere would find that attractive

The Cast of Jersey Shore?
  • carissaharkins
    carissaharkins Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have worked the last 20 plus years in the Sunless Tanning Industry. ( I worked worked in the UV tanning industry before that)

If applied correctly - artificial spray on tanners, or lotions are an excellent , skin friendly option.

To prevent some of the issues noted:

If you are orangy- you applied to much product, or to high a DHA percentage product, Go to a lighter blend, and do not over apply.

If it is rubbing and sweating off - you have not prepared the skin correctly with good exfoliation, and or applied product to clean lotion free skin.

If you are blotchy and streaky - this is an application error. Again can be easily prevented with some instruction.

You can purchase and apply Professional Solutions at home as well, if you don't want to go to a salon and be sprayed. You can use a spray gun, or even a large pad to wipe product on skin. A varity od darkness levels are avaiable - if unsure always go "light" you can easily add more on a later visit if needed.

I am "tan" year round, and no one - including my Mom - knows its fake (until I told her.), I never UV tan, and wear sunscreen year round. I look about 35, I am 47. No one else in my family has aged as well. Sunscreen IS your friend. 80 percent of skin aging is directly related to UV exposure, ether tanning, or day to day exposure.

Great website for the how toos here: www.sunless.com , I am a Moderator there

If you want to know how to apply correctly, whether a lotion, or a self applied spray on - look here:

Under Application Help:

http://www.sunless.com/phorum/read.php?7,1275629

Any UV tanning, no matter how little, is unsafe, and not a great option for skin health, body health, and skin aging concerns. UV tanning is cumulative, even a little adds on over the years, and takes its toll, later down the road. The damage done "stays" , and each minute adds more onto your "bank". You cannot undo it - once it is done, except in a limited manner. It typically appears 20-30 years down the road.

You never know what your personal "to much" level is, until the day you have to deal with a cancerous growth, mole, etc. The numbers differ for everyone, there is no set "safe" tanning level. And it is not only those who "go to much" or "get burned" that deal with cancer concerns. rapid skin aging etc.

I have seen girls get cancer growths from as little at 4-5 sessions, no burning at all, done one time to prep for the prom. And I have seen Grandmas, getting their nose cut off, after tanning for years. I know many men and women who now have to go to the DR over and over every year to continually get new suspicious growths cut off, this is directly correlated with UV exposure and or tanning bed use.

The World Health Organization, American Academy of Dermatology, and Medical Societies world wide, all condemn purposeful UV tanning, as unsafe for many reasons.

Really not worth it.

This is GREAT information, thank you so much for sharing!