can you keep "bad" stuff in your house?

Options

Replies

• fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Food isn't an issue for me, I've never been attracted to buying or eating "bad Stuff". I can keep things like butter and cheese int he house for my family and not touch them.

Same can't be said for alcohol. If its there I'll probably end up drinking it, which is why I buy single serving bottles of wine and pre mixed drinks, only the amount I intend to drink that evening, and drink that. If I buy a normal sized bottle of wine I will always have one more glass than I should have!
  • elysecea
    elysecea Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    It depends. I love to bake (and I'm pretty good - might have something to do why I'm heavy hmmmmmmm), but anyway I have a hard time resisting anything that I"ve made.

But generally I say yes I can have "bad" stuff around me b/c I try to budget it into my day.

I do keep chocolate in the house on to shelf in cabinet. I usually buy individually wrapped Ghiradelli squares which are kind of $$$ so I don't want to eat it all at one time. Or sometimes I will buy 3 Musketeers Truffle Crisp bars. I will buy 2 per week and they aren't *that* high cal so if I eat a whole one in a day its not the end of the world.
    I snack on ghirardelli dark chocolate chips when I want something sweet :)
  • TwinMumCork
    TwinMumCork Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I can if its not perishable, there is always a supply in the house due to my hubby eating it and then the grandparents always have to buy 3 things each for the boys and they only eat one each, so there is a stock piling up.

I am surprised I can resit the chocolate most of the time but if I buy cupcakes I feel there is a time limit and they have to be eaten. As a result they don't get bought.
  • feb06momma
    Options
    There are certain "bad" foods I can allow in my house and ignore; however, I cannot have sweet things like candy or cookies just sitting here. Its incredibly hard for me to stop at one, or ignore them all together. luckily its just me and my 6yr old daughter so no "DH" to worry about. :) My daughter loves yogurt, string cheese, fruit, etc etc so if I keep the good stuff stocked, then that is what we both eat. :)
  • gailashton
    Options
    My husband eats more crap than anyone I know. It makes me feel strong and in control that I can have all that stuff here and not eat it. It gives me power! It tells me I am in control!
  • avimoo
    avimoo Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Yes I can resist all the bad stuff. I don't think everyone else should suffer because I have got myself into this situation. I want my kids to learn that you can have some bad stuff but in moderation.
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I can ignore Chips, and If I do have some I am able to have a handful and walk away. I'm SO much better with chocolate, I can keep it in the house now and just have a little square of dark chocolate or a pudding cup....instead Of a family sized bag Of m and ms to myself lol. I've had a small container of Haagen dasz in my freezer since November and it's only half gone. We do not have cookies in the house, I think that could get bad.
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    No, I thought I could but I really can't. If it's inaccessable, I'm not going to eat it. If it's easily accessable, hell yes I'm going to eat it. My willpower is nill.

^^^^^^^^^^
  • serenity216
    serenity216 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    There are some things I have learned I just can't have in the house (M and M's is a big one). Other things I either give to my SKinny Minny husband (like chocolate and treats I had received for Christmas) or just put in a drawer, out of sight out of mind. As for sweet treats, I love the Weight Watchers Ice Cream Treats to the point i would almost rather have those than regular Ice Cream!
  • MummyOfSeven
    MummyOfSeven Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I have cookies, crisps, doughnuts, icecream, chocolate, all that stuff, in the house.
    I have six kids living at home. It would be unfair of me to expect them to stick to my dietary requirements.
    My willpower isn't as strong as it should be, but I rarely slip and I never binge.
    I tell myself that it's THEIR food, not MINE.
  • getfitnfab
    getfitnfab Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I don't keep bad stuff

My will power is not great

I buy single serving bags, including ice-cream

Cheaper in the long run
  • DQMD
    DQMD Posts: 193
    Options
    I am kind of strange...

I eat Gluten/Wheat free for Celiac's disease. That means that I bake cookies, cakes, and pies that I can not eat. I baked 10 different types of cookies last year to take to work and not one tempted me. My momma made me a chocolate cream pie for Christmas and I had one slice...SO's daughters ate most of it. :sigh: my momma will make me another one if I want it.

Now what gets me..is whipped cream in a can (CAN not be in my house), ice cream, gluten free treats - brownies, and wine. OMG I love wine..
  • Suzieqt81
    Suzieqt81 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I can to a certain point but choose not too. When I want a cheat I go out and get it if my diet allows for it...then I return home to a healthy stocked house. Even if you do keep snacks in the house and dont acknowledge them....one day you will and I guarantee you will eat more than if you had gone out to get a snack and returned home.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I have certain trigger foods I can't keep around and my family knows this and are ok with not buying those things anymore. But I do have two teenage and very skinny boys in my house and they love baked chips and chex mix, so I've learned to ignore those in the pantry. Mostly they don't mind what I buy, they just eat a lot of everything!!! Including apples, cheese sticks, whole wheat crackers (oh the crackers!) and yogurt!

Boys eat EVERYTHING! They don't miss the Nutter Butters... thank goodness!!!! Can NOT keep those in the house or the whole package ends up in my tummy!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I don't really have 'trigger foods' or foods I 'can't' keep in the house. In addition to all the healthy foods I try to focus on eating, I always have several kinds of chips, several kinds of ice cream, cookies, cupcakes, cheese, candy. I just eat small amounts of those things when I have room in my calorie goal for the day. For example, yesterday I had oatmeal with blackberries for breakfast, for lunch I had apple slices, graham crackers and a bowl of homemade white bean chicken chili, dinner was pasta with chicken and broccoli. After I exercised, I still had plenty of calories, so I ate a wedge of cheese, a bowl of peanut butter cheerios and a homemade peppermint hot-cocoa cupcake. I stayed within my macronutrient limits, was under sodium and ended up about 200 calories under for the day. It didn't matter that there were salt and vinegar chips on the counter or ice cream in the freezer, I felt full and happy.

Honestly, I think some people have a brain chemistry that makes them more likely to binge or go overboard. It's probably really hard for people with that natural inclination to keep treats in the house. Willpower can take you a long way, but it's not foolproof.
  • hdlb123
    hdlb123 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    If we had it in the house I could ignore it, most days. But since we don't allow our kids to eat junk/juice/treats often its not an issue.
  • tinkermommc
    tinkermommc Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I can have it in the house, I just don't eat it. If I want to cave, I read the label, that reminds me how I got this way in the first place!

I will however be buying one box of thin mints, share a sleeve with the family and hide the other sleeve in the freezer to be eaten in couple months. Open thin mints in the pantry is just a bad idea!!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Yes. I have a cupboard full of chocolate left over from last Easter. I have no interest in it.
  • jwpe
    jwpe Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I am like you ....I can not have it around. My husband and kids don't need it either as I am trying to Eat Clean for myself and family and the porcessed food is just not good for anything.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Anything becomes bad if you eat too much of it. When I am bad on the occasional day I eat a couple bowls of cereal, slices of whole wheat bread and granola bars. It can add up to 1000 cals easy and its healthy food just too much quantity.

If jubejubes are on sale like post-Christmas etc I'll buy a bag. As long as I keep it in the cold cellar in the basement I won't touch it until a designated treat day.