Want to try Yoga... where to start?

Options
13»

Replies

• Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    My favorite yoga dvd is the biggest loser fat blasting yoga. It's fun and challenging and not too long of a workout!
  • tnorth82
    tnorth82 Posts: 186
    Options
    I do a class at the gym called 'body balance' and it incorporate Yoga, Thai Chi and Pilates and is really good! It helps you build your core as well as stretch and tone muscle groups, alll with relaxing routines and music.
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    First time I did yoga was in a class, the instructor was very helpful in correcting my poses. It's important to get the poses correct, so my recommendation would be start out in a class, not a dvd.
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I've been doing yoga for about 10 years now on and off. I've always taken classes, I've tried a DVD once and wasn't impressed. Being in the group setting with a live instructor is a great motivator (for me anyway). The first time I ever did it (power yoga class) I was sore for almost a full week but it was great. I've never been a "skinny little girl" doing yoga, but to be fair I was a dancer for 13 years so I have the flexibility. Regardless of your size, your flexibility or your level I highly recommend yoga...it's a great way to strengthen muscles you probably didn't even know existed. Most studios have a beginner class...try one of those.

It's been said so many times here in this thread...don't start with a DVD...go to a class. You wouldn't believe how many times I've been in class and seen people in poses doing it horribly wrong. You can injure yourself if you're new and putting too much strain on a joint by doing a pose wrong...just take the class.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I've only taken one class.. and that was at my gym. It was a Vinyasa Flow Yoga/Hatha Yoga class and I felt it was good for a beginner(Aka Me!).

The instructor made sure to show us all the modifications(from beginner to advanced) and let us know that was it ok to do the beginner poses and to stop/rest if need be.

I really liked the class but due to my schedule, I don't have time to take regular classes.. so I try to take them when I can.
  • fmbarbuto
    fmbarbuto Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    WOW - thanks for all the feedback everyone! There are a variety of classes offered in town. I love taking classes, so I will definately take one to check it out. I will also look into some of the DVD's. It's easier for me to do my exercise at home during the day when no one is home.

Thanks again!
    fran :flowerforyou:
  • dimplez711
    Options
    I started with an instructor one on one. Sometimes she would write her own sequences, and sometimes we would follow DVD's that I was curious about. However, ALL the time, she would work with me through the poses. Being plus-sized, she helped me a lot to make sure that proper adjustments were made for safety, but to still make sure I was getting the benefits.

Ultimately it helped me a LOT, not just physically but mentally and emotionally. Without going into the spiritual aspect that scares some people away, it basically just teaches you to listen to your body.

I would definitely recommend working with a licensed instructor at first. Shop around, as you mentioned there are a lot of classes in your area.

After you think you're comfortable with the basica poses, if you really want to try a DVD, I would recommend Seane Corn's Vinyasa Flow Yoga. She's AMAZING. She talks you through everything from the correct hand positioning to avoid pain/injury, to focusing on your breathing.

Jillian Michaels Yoga DVD - avoid it, just a personal opinion. She speeds through the poses, and doesn't really call out which sides you should be on. I felt very rushed when I tried this one. It could just be me, but I need time to establish one pose before moving to the next.

If you really want something with a bit more intensity, check out Budokon. Cameron Shayne is a pretty good instructor, and the moves in the Beginning Practices DVD are simple.

Good luck and happy learning!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels Yoga DVD - avoid it, just a personal opinion. She speeds through the poses, and doesn't really call out which sides you should be on. I felt very rushed when I tried this one. It could just be me, but I need time to establish one pose before moving to the next.

Totally agree with this. A group of us used to do yoga at work and when the girl who was leading us (she was in teacher training) was out one day, someone brought Jillian's DVD in. I did the first couple sequences and stopped. Yoga (even the most strenuous yoga) should be about relaxation and I felt like I was doing aerobics, not yoga.

There's another fitness "guru" whose name I can't remember who treats yoga as an aerobics class. She's the blond chick with the really raspy voice whose been around forever. Avoid her, too.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Whenever I picture Yoga, I picture teeny tiny girls and buff guys being all bendy...

Is it really difficult for someone with a few curves to do?

As a previous poster said - there are yoga workouts for lots of different situations. A few ideas to check out: Heavyweight Yoga, Plus Size Pilates, Lilias (this is a senior but it shows lots of modifications) and Peggy Cappy (Yoga for the Rest of Us) are a couple of instructors who do specialty yoga DVDs
  • dyellz
    dyellz Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I decided to give bikram yoga a try. My mother and I went last night. First of all, i love the heat. I found the class somewhat difficult but i worked my way through the whole thing without feeling ill. I have never sweated so much in my life. While it was an experience, theres no comparision to the feeling of a bootcamp style full body workout with music and other people who are excited doing it. Mellow, stretching, quiet, is not for me.

I am also a girl with curves and yes its harder for us to do some of the moves in yoga. What i found about the hot yoga was that you have to be in a 40' C room with a bunch of sweaty stinky people. Not my cup of tea.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I decided to give bikram yoga a try. My mother and I went last night. First of all, i love the heat. I found the class somewhat difficult but i worked my way through the whole thing without feeling ill. I have never sweated so much in my life. While it was an experience, theres no comparision to the feeling of a bootcamp style full body workout with music and other people who are excited doing it. Mellow, stretching, quiet, is not for me.

I am also a girl with curves and yes its harder for us to do some of the moves in yoga. What i found about the hot yoga was that you have to be in a 40' C room with a bunch of sweaty stinky people. Not my cup of tea.

Ha, I did a version of Bikram Yoga this morning(It's Vinyasa/Hatha Yoga but they crank the heat up to 104 degrees F).

I agree that I don't like the sweatiness or heat of it.. but the yoga it's self I like.

Maybe try again with a normal yoga class and not a Bikram one.
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options

Give power yoga, or another kind a try. I'm not a huge bikram yoga fan myself. I'm fairly curvaceous myself and love yoga...you'll notice (if you stick with it) much better flexibility and strength
  • GigiBee824
    GigiBee824 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Yoga classes are great and are my preference when I practice. I have done both classes and dvd. I will say, however, that the only time I've ever been injured has been in a class when I was very new to the practice (about a month). It was just a basic class for all experience levels, and I simply didn't know at the time that she was leading me through moves that were way, way too advanced for a beginner and did not provide modifications. Also, I thought I was supposed to be able to do all the moves and wanted to keep up with the class. (Dumb move.) I hurt so bad it turned me off of doing yoga for a year. I would say whatever you decide, take it slowly and just enjoy being in tune with your body. If you want a gently paced dvd, I really enjoy Sara Ivanhoe's Candlelight Yoga.
  • thinnerisstronger
    thinnerisstronger Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    http://youtu.be/5pnOoxwi9aE

This girl has tons of yoga vids and they are AWESOME. I'm just starting out as well but I love it already.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who told you to take a class or two.
  • JT1090
    JT1090 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I found a starter yoga video on Netflix and went from there. There are many different levels and difficulties to choose from. From me it's always nice home, not to mention cheaper!
  • julie781
    julie781 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    You should definitely take a class. They'll help with form. I LOVE Baron Baptiste Journey into power level 1. You can get it on ebay probably real cheap. I already feel better inside, my flexibility is greater, and my balance is improving. Good luck and enjoy!
  • KYMUSE
    KYMUSE Posts: 66
    Options
    Yoga classes are great and are my preference when I practice. I have done both classes and dvd. I will say, however, that the only time I've ever been injured has been in a class when I was very new to the practice (about a month). It was just a basic class for all experience levels, and I simply didn't know at the time that she was leading me through moves that were way, way too advanced for a beginner and did not provide modifications. Also, I thought I was supposed to be able to do all the moves and wanted to keep up with the class. (Dumb move.) I hurt so bad it turned me off of doing yoga for a year. I would say whatever you decide, take it slowly and just enjoy being in tune with your body. If you want a gently paced dvd, I really enjoy Sara Ivanhoe's Candlelight Yoga.

Exactly. Sadly a person can be certified to teach yoga in as little as an 18 hour workshop, so having an instructor isn't always a guarantee of safety or injury prevention. Good yoga sites to check out that will allow you to explore different styles and teachers...www.myyogaonline.com or www.yogaglow.com Both sites have different styles, teachers and even meditation classes.